Newbie to GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently using the Garmin Quest I. It is a very good unit but the screen is small. As far as mounting goes try Cycle Gadgets. They are a Ram dealer and are very helpful in setting up any application. The mount for my Goldwing was only about $40. If you have a power outlet, you can use the factory plug.

I will also toss in a vote for the Quest. While I have a Quest (1). It is a tad of a pain to load maps of where I might be headed. It doesn't hold the who US.

The Quest (2) does, so get that if you go Quest.

They also make a really nice Motorcycle mount, it's a $50 buy on flea-bay. I don't know if Garmin has changed packaging or not but they didn't give you software with the Q2 but if you call Garmin they will send it to you so you can plan routes and download them. My father traded in his bigger GPS for the Q2 and loves it.

Yes it is smaller, no doublt but smaller isn't always bad, it's easily portable from bike to car, to rental to what ever.

I've also been looking at the Nuvi as a potential replacement for my Q1 but I'm not sure it's waterproof like the Quest.

I'm a bit tapped out at the moment though :0

Nuvi NOT waterproof.

Loading maps isn't all that bad - the original Quest only has 115 megs of RAM - enough for almost all the riding you are likely to do in a day - also faster to plan routes.

Quest has the large tracklog. C & i series from Garmin and Nuvi have none.

Nuvi NOT waterproof.
Loading maps isn't all that bad - the original Quest only has 115 megs of RAM - enough for almost all the riding you are likely to do in a day - also faster to plan routes.

Yeah, almost, It's been borderline for some Iron Butt Rides though. I also don't want to carry a Laptop to reload it :/ And for some rallies, you just don't always know where you'll end up.

Best laid plans sort of thing. :) But I have suspected the Q1 was faster, my dads Q2 seemed a little slow but not unusable.