No drill Whelen install on GenII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

posdcorb

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a six-month old at home and therefore it now takes me three weeks to do stuff it used to take me three days to do; however, I finally got some stuff done.

The one I think most will like is the 'no-drill' installation of a Whelen LIN3 strobe and brake light flasher.

Note: to do this, you lose the factory license plate light.

Remove the license plate light and unplug the wires (two bullet connectors on the left side)

Pull the wires out through the hole they are routed through.

The hole the factory wires go through and the similar hole on the opposite side (outboard of the license plate light mounting holes) are the same width as the mounting holes on the Whelen.

Route your Whelen wires through one of the factory license plate light mounting holes.

Go to your favorite accessory store and by some bolt LED lights and replace your license plate mounting bolts with them.

Buy some bullet connectors and connect the LEDs to the original female end connectors.

I hooked the Whelen up to a brakelight flasher and switch so I can shut it off if I'm in a situation where it's too annoying.

I also got the final drive, engine oil, and spark plugs changed.

Looked for ground spiders. Found them, and they were very docile. Didn't have any bites. Made their nests a bit more comfortable by adding RR's ground spider overload harnesses. Hopefully this will keep them from getting pissed and biting.

Hooked up my old fuseblock to switched power and added my Zumo 550 mount and an iPhone charging cable and cradle.

Disconnected the auto-retract on my windshield.

Took old, burned out, Walmart driving lights, switched the bulbs out for amber LEDs and mounted them as running lights.

Feels good to have all that finished.

Great job. Very interesting way for the lamps. I am a visual person. Could you post a pic or e-mail a couple. Thanks, trooper.

I have the Whelen Dominator-2 (which is a light bar that has two TIR-3 light heads) and was able to install it without drilling by moving the license plate light down, wedging it between the plate the the light head znd using the licence plate fixture's mounting holes for the light bar . . . . that leaves the stock lighting 'legal' - a license plate bulb is a requirement.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=128806

Sorry, been slackin'... Here are the photos:

You can see the whelen just above the plate where the license plate light used to be.

IMG_4234.jpg

Here's the whelen lit up:

IMG_4236.jpg

Another angle without so much washout:

IMG_4235.jpg

Here's the iPhone holder:

IMG_4237.jpg

And the El Cheapo running lights:

IMG_4238.jpg