No Foil Oil Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
Clothes hanger!

2008_10190011.jpg

Put a plastic shopping bag over it. By the way, if you soil that foam, your warranty is void. Mamayama does't like that shit.

I just use the Allen key that I took the fastener out with, and this....
I read the linked posts and toward the end there was discussion about trying to get the oil out of the filter before removing. Has anyone ever tried (on the side stand) punching a hole in the bottom-most point of the old filter and using a funnel to drain the filter before removing the filter? Downside? Not ever trying to punch a hole in the filter I have no idea if it is difficult or not. Any thoughts on that "technique?"

An old shadetree mechanic trick was to jab a screwdriver completely through a stuck on filter if you couldn't get a wrench on it or didn't have one, grab the handle on one side and the blade on the other. Except for the threads, the bottom is the thickest part. Use a large nail and tap gently with a hammer until you puncture it.

Please make damn sure you've got the correct replacement filter before you start. Long story :( and a very messy lesson learned there.

An old shadetree mechanic trick was to jab a screwdriver completely through a stuck on filter if you couldn't get a wrench on it or didn't have one, grab the handle on one side and the blade on the other. Except for the threads, the bottom is the thickest part. Use a large nail and tap gently with a hammer until you puncture it.
Please make damn sure you've got the correct replacement filter before you start. Long story :( and a very messy lesson learned there.
figured I go for the side right before it does the 90 degree to the bottom. that would be about the closest point to the ground whle on the side stand.

I've got an oil change coming up in another couple hundred miles.

I do have the replacement standing by.

Think I'll try the drain the filter before removing technique just for fun.

Put a plastic shopping bag over it.
I like this idea, you'd just turn it inside out when done and toss it in the trash.

Ditto, but I use the plastic "bag" that the newspapers come in. It is just the right size and shape and I use the newspaper to back up my oil pan in case I get messy. I still use the allen key trick to hold the fairing away from the bike.

KM