Nolan N103 Motorcycle Helmet Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I have what I feel is a very stupid question but something tells me someone here will know.. I have had my Nolan N103 Motorrad helmet for about 18 months now and have questions about ear inserts. Were these included for packaging, or is this something that I should have inserted into the helmet or not? I looked everywhere online and saw a bunch of videos online and even read the directions but nothing mentioned it.

I took some photos below and hope someone knows, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you use those as speaker spacers in case you want to move your speakers closer to your ears, or perhaps can use them if you don't have speakers and they may cut a little of the wind noise.

I see you have an Autocom installed, but where are your speakers?

I've never figured it out myself. At least you spoke up and asked! I tossed 'em since they didn't make a difference with wind noise or comfort or anything.

I believe you use those as speaker spacers in case you want to move your speakers closer to your ears, or perhaps can use them if you don't have speakers and they may cut a little of the wind noise.

I see you have an Autocom installed, but where are your speakers?
Here is an email I just received. "I have a N103. The inserts are optional. They reduce wind noise a little but some people don't like the pressure on their ears. I don't think you can use them with the n-com." Yes, I do have the Autocom and the speakers are mounted behind the padding and the sounds comes in perfectly. If you look at the end of my connector closely you will also see a connector that allows me to plug in my in ear headphones for crystal clear sound. On longer rides I plug them in and the sound is nothing short of amazing.

I've never figured it out myself. At least you spoke up and asked! I tossed 'em since they didn't make a difference with wind noise or comfort or anything.
I am riding out to Vegas on Thursday night and I will try them in my ears and see if it helps reducing the wind noise or not... Thanks and I guess I just got tired of not knowing.

While I have a small group of others who have this helmet I should ask another question. Have you had any issues with the sun shade drooping down when it is in the up position? I so how did you fix it? I am guessing there is a way to tighten it up somewhere. I might just called the mnfg on Monday and ask them directly but I think they are located in Italy.

I am going to call the US distributor on Monday. The number is 866-243-5638 or 630-701-1601 if anyone else would like to call them for anything. LINK

I had the N102s with the N-COM bluetooth setup and they did not come with those inserts. I recently got a deal on the N103/bluetooth combo helmets. The install for the basic kit2 (speakers and mic setup) showed how to cut out the small, slightly perforated, holes in those inserts so the speaker sound comes through better (compress them and use scissors along the pre-scored lines). Mine came with two sets of inserts, one thicker than the other. I used the thinner ones for now (seems to give the ears a bit more room), but might try the thicker ones once I get more time with the helmet (lot's of rain here lately) to see if they help cut down the wind noise.

As a side note, the N103 N-COM system is far superior to the N102 in range, volume, and sound quality (stereo vs mono). Also, both rider and pillion can pair with their own cell phones while still pairing with each other.

+1 on the noise reduction. Tried it with the inserts installed and removed and there was a difference.

But I also had to remove them when I finally installed speakers.

Never had an issue with the sun visor coming down on its own.