Non AE owners past and present

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
There's another thread going on extolling the virtues of automagical transmissions. Every single response has been positive about owning the trigger shifting, clutchless AE. Which naturally makes me think, "Hey am I missing out on something big here? Should I get me one of them there autotransmogrified FJRs?"

I didn't want to hijack the other thread which seems to have decended into some kind of trigger twiddling love fest. So instead I'm starting this thread from the alternate angle?

If you have only owned non-AEs up to this point, would you want an AE next time?

My initial thoughts are that people that choose the AE probably did so for one reason or another. Those that did not didn't have a reason to, and so stuck with the conventional paradigm shifting. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think I fall into that camp. And perhaps I would go one step further and speculate that I actually enjoy operating the clkutch as it increases my "control", my involvement, my integration with the riding experience.

What say ye non AE riders? Would you buy another A?

Who pissed in your cornflakes?Why is it every time someone mentions a AE you have lots of negative stuff to say? Did you own a lemon? Just did not like it, or are you one who hasn't even ridden it? I accecpt fully that not everyone would want it. That is what is great about choice. I did not want it untill I gave it a FAIR chance. But just because you don't like it EVERYONE shouldn't? I do not see the cause of such animosity toward another FJR or any bike rider because it is different than yours. HD crowd acts like that. This post was started just to spite another already started by someone who feels differently than you. Even if it is a finger twiddling love fest
???

The original post seemed like an innocent enough question...unless you are reading between the lines...I'm not sure what value the question is...but if he wants to ask it...so what.

What say ye non AE riders? Would you buy another A?
I ALMOST pulled the trigger and bought an AE '07.

In the past 13-months, I've used the clutch on the 07 at least four times as much as I did on the 05. The concept is appealing to me. However, as the engines continue to be tweaked leaner and twitchier, I grow more thankful every day that I did NOT buy an AE.

Therefore my answer is NO, I will not buy an AE FJR in its current configuration. I would consider an AE of another bike or if Yami decides to totally revamp the FJR in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who pissed in your cornflakes?Why is it every time someone mentions a AE you have lots of negative stuff to say? Did you own a lemon? Just did not like it, or are you one who hasn't even ridden it? I accecpt fully that not everyone would want it. That is what is great about choice. I did not want it untill I gave it a FAIR chance. But just because you don't like it EVERYONE shouldn't? I do not see the cause of such animosity toward another FJR or any bike rider because it is different than yours. HD crowd acts like that. This post was started just to spite another already started by someone who feels differently than you. Even if it is a finger twiddling love fest
???

The original post seemed like an innocent enough question...unless you are reading between the lines...I'm not sure what value the question is...but if he wants to ask it...so what.
Jebus! -- WTF???

I can't imagine that I'd ever buy an AE. Just not interested. Kinda like trikes -- it's great that they float someone else's boat, but just not mine. I like the extra control that lets me disengage the motor from the tranny anytime I want, and works just like what I've been used to for over 4 decades. Now that I think about it, my first bike (actually, we had two) was a Honda 90 with a centrifugal clutch and a 3 speed, but that was mid '60s.

To me, it really depends on how you use your bike. If I commuted, and used it as transportation, I might consider an AE model. However, for me, the FJR is just a toy that I enjoy taking for a ride. Anything that disconnects me from the raw driving experience, is taking something away. I don't have a tiptronic (clutchless) transmission in my Porsche and I don't want one (or the equivalent) on my bike. It is great that Yamaha gives people the choice, but it just isn't for me.

There's no way I'd buy one. Not a macho or ego thing, just wary of too much technology on simple systems. I can't stand the fact that my Tahoe has push-button 4wd, I prefer my 91 toyota's maual xfer case. Even my ABS makes me little wary, but at least if it quits I have residual braking, and can work on it in the garage, if I have to.

Different strokes for different folks. As long as they are happy w/ what they have, I'm happy for them.

Just don't try to tell me what I like is wrong,and you're better than me, or you will be quickly "re-educated".

I can't stand the fact that my Tahoe has push-button 4wd,
Interesting. I got rid of a Tahoe for the same reason -- I didn't like the electronic 4WD, and switched it for a manual shift Dodge (it has a NV271-D transfer case).

Different strokes for different folks. As long as they are happy w/ what they have, I'm happy for them.
Just don't try to tell me what I like is wrong,and you're better than me, or you will be quickly "re-educated".
I agree. If you like it.... ride it.

FOR ME: a track bike, or all-out sport bike -- I want to control the clutch 100%, i'd also skip the ABS, the gold wing air bag, traction control, etc.

FOR ME: a sport-tourer -- that weights about 650#, it seems silly to argue the virtues of the YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Clutch) or a manual clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might not be able to engage the hand clutch in the future. It might be months or years away, but if I intend to keep riding I might not have any choice. Well, there is that S2000 or the Cayman... Naturally, I'd prefer to keep clutching it myself, though.

I wouldn't. Nothing against them, just something about re-inventing the wheel and old dogs and new tricks.

The only large CC bike I ever had with a cable clutch was a CB900F, back in the 80's. On that bike, on road trips my left left wrist got so sore from pulling on the clutch lever that I was shifting from 1st to 3rd to save on wear and tear on myself. At that time I would have voted for an auto-clutch.

Hydro clutches are much more user friendly, suffice to say.

I was kinda interested. I figured if it shifted better than I did then I'd be real interested. I rode one and I shift better. I commute, but not a lot of stop-and-go so I really don't have much use for it. It seems that nearly all the people who buy the AE like it, but I guess they're the ones who wanted it to begin with. My advice: buy what you want.

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: Depends...

I rode an AE in Reno (WFO-5). I liked a couple things about it and disliked enough about it to order an 08 with a clutch.

I'm with TWN... someday I may need one in order to keep riding, but I like the control of a clutch... I DECIDE!

IF I lived in an area where I commuted most of the time in traffic and had to deal with stop-n-go traffic, I would consider it a lot more just so I did not have to hold the clutch as much.

That said I refer back to my earlier statement:

"I just ordered an 08 WITH a clutch..." price was not an issue.

Thursday can not come quickly enough! :yahoo:

I like the feeling of being more involved in 'my' motorcycling experience, so in saying that, I would think that I would want a clutched motorcycle for the forseeable future. If you choose not to want to mess with the clutch, that's perfectly fine with me; I'm just choosing to exercise my left hand.

When I bought the '89 BMW that I have replaced with the JFR, I got a 9 year old bike with 2200 miles on it because the original owner was an electrician who reached into a panel that he thought was dead(no comments on sop) and his left hand literally exploded. He sat on the bike all that time hoping thta he would be able to ride again--he got a sea-doo instead. I am a cabinetmaker and even though I am careful and use common sense and guards anything can happen. If I ever found myself in the same condition as that electrician, the I would own an AE as soon as the rehab was over and that might be rehab in itself. That being said, anything that makes anything handicapped acessable only makes it easir on the TAB(temporarily able-bodied). That is why I am putting a ramp on my deck. So some folks like the trigger sift and lack of clutch lever. I did enjoy my test rides on the AE, but it was not necessary enough foy me to buy. I gave up a truck that had a manual tranny for an auto, just because I stepped up to a heavier duty truck and I miss that connection that total involvement gave me. I felt that I would not want to give that up on my bike--I agree the total experience that someone else pointd out. Is someone not getting the total experience? No. They are getting their total exerience.

In the short time I would not get an AE, but if that accident or ailment ever came along that mde it hard on me for shifting or using the clutch then it is AE for me. Besides, with respect to technology, everything gets better with age and that AE in the future may just be bettter that anything else that could be had.

I would not want one. A good number of us had the choice when we bought our bikes. It just did not make much sense to me, my motorcycles have always had a clutch...why change that now.

Some excellent points made here. Some that I had not considered. The idea of commuting in city (stop and go) traffic would have to be a strong motivator toward getting the auto-clutch.

I do not commute at all, and when I do have to drive in stop and go traffic (in and around Boston) I am required to take the company provided cage, so I don't see that influencing me on my motorcycle purchases anytime soon.

But this raises the idea of how people see their motorcycles. Are they transportation appliances (I know that sounds "harsh" but it is actually quite pragmatic) or recreational toys, playthings. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that they definitely fall into the latter category for me (due to the above).

The idea of enabling people with hand strength problems is another strong motivator, though I kind of doubt that was the design goal of the product. If I had to choose between a motorcycle with an auto clutch or not riding, the decision would be very easy. Bring on the AE. ;)

Oh and I started this thread because it wouldn't have been right to hijack the other one, but I do feel there is a counter-position to the common positions stated on that thread.

The executive version is this:

AE owners would predominantly prefer to buy another AE if it was available.

Non-AE owners would predominantly prefer another non-AE assuming that they are still able to work the clutch (and they are as pretty?).

All FJR owners would buy another FJR of some damn kind. ;)

Hypothesis:

People chose what they own for their own reasons. Assuming their reasons haven't changed, they would make the same choice again.

What someone else chose (chooses) should make little difference to you because they probably have different reasons for it than you do (would).