Non-skid rubber pads for gas tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I just looked @ some of this stuff online. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TechSpec-Gripster-Tank-Pads-Yamaha-FJR1300-High-Fusion-2008-/251245009992?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7f5e9c48&vxp=mtr The price on it is out-friggin-rageous! Are they serious?! I think I saw a price of $43.95 & that doesn't include shipping. Does anyone know where to get this stuff @ a reasonable price?

I'm very tempted to go to Home Depot & find something that'll work & cut my own... because there is absolutely no way that I'm paying that kind of money for pieces of rubber. Actually, I'm not even paying half of that!

I cannot believe that anyone would actually pay this amount!

Is there something special about this stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking find material that will function as non-skid & put rubber cement on it to mount it to the tank. Anyone have a better idea?

I paid it. Quality product. Worth it to me vs. the crappy job it would be if I tried to do it myself. And many others around here seem to agree.....

OK, so there isn't anything special.

Oh, I seriously doubt I'd do a crappy job. It's 2 pieces of rubber. Have exacto knife, will travel, dude! I'd just need to know about adhesive that does not mar the tank. IMO this price is simply outrageous... call me cheap if you'd like.... but there ain't no way I'd spend that money on 2 pieces of rubber.

Soliciting for glue ideas.... anyone??? & promise to put a pic tutorial up when I'm done.

and they last.

They're on the second FJR now, 7 years and over 100,000 miles still look new.

Make your own . This the glue.

3M-80-Rubber-amp-Vinyl-80-Spray-Adhesive-18-oz-Yellow.jpg

I'd look here first:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=lxow67

You can get a 12" x 12" sheet of self adhesive neoprene for $15. You can even get adhesive backed foam that would be pretty grippy and soft.

I have no idea why the techspec stuff is so expensive apart from the fact that it's a quallity product and the cutting has already been done for you. I think $30 would be more reasonable.

I think that $15 to $20 would be more reasonable.

I have no issue with setting out to make my own. I expect it's probably been done before me. Thank you very, very much for the ideas guys. Anyone else?

So, no better ideas on products with better prices? I will not be buying this Tech Spec stuff... unless someone can tell me what's so special about it. It's rubber! Well, actually I've never touched it. It looks like rubber.

Dave, as a know what the hell you're doing kinda guy, what do you think about the adhesives shown above? I really don't wish to totally ruin the paint on my tank. (I am not saying you other guys don't know what you're doing... but you didn't make specific mention of the fact my paint wouldn't be bothered by these products)

PS... not looking for scratch coverage. I'm hoping for actual tank grippage.

That's why the 3M # 80

When i pull the techspec pads off for cleaning any adhesive that sticks to the paint just rolls off using your finger tips. 3M # 80 doesn't discolor or bond into the paint.

That's awesome Airboss. Thanks so much. I didn't know that you meant you actually used this product.

I bought the Techspec Snakeskin product and it looks great, and was very easy to apply and is exactly the right thickness, texture and slip-resistance I need to ride the bike better. I tend to value my time, and think that it's worth paying for something that looks good and will last the life of the bike. The best analogy to me is body work and painting. You might be able to to do it, but if I did, you could tell, and I can't get the durability out of the finish that a pro can, even though I'd pay half as much or less to DIY.

By the time you source the materials, figure out the cut and purchase the adhesive, I'm going to guess you might have saved $20 not counting your time and trips to the store. Is it worth it? Could be. Come back in 10-15K miles and lets see the results.

I bought the Techspec Snakeskin product and it looks great, and was very easy to apply and is exactly the right thickness, texture and slip-resistance I need to ride the bike better. I tend to value my time, and think that it's worth paying for something that looks good and will last the life of the bike. The best analogy to me is body work and painting. You might be able to to do it, but if I did, you could tell, and I can't get the durability out of the finish that a pro can, even though I'd pay half as much or less to DIY.
By the time you source the materials, figure out the cut and purchase the adhesive, I'm going to guess you might have saved $20 not counting your time and trips to the store. Is it worth it? Could be. Come back in 10-15K miles and lets see the results.
Yup.

btw, TechSpec comes in three different types of material. All rubber I believe, just different thicknesses and softness.

A lot of folks don't really understand the time = money equation. I have the TechSpec product on my tank sides, and it's a great product. Overpriced? Not to me, because the time I would spend pissing around with some half baked homemade product would actually cost me more than the TechSpec.

Also, there is the fact that not all "Rubber" is the same. I have an expensive belt buckle protector on the rear end of my tank. It's been there for 6 years and it looks like I put it on yesterday. I've seen others with scratches, gouges, cuts and scuff marks on them. Looks like crap! You get what you pay for I guess. :)