Non-skid rubber pads for gas tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine for the intended purpose, tank protection from gear and zippers and such. I went through two Mag Night protectors that are very nice, and said enough is enough. While they do provide grip it was more protecting the gas tank from my riding cloths.

Yes I would be envious of those who could finish the edges and provide the quality of these by their own hand. I am not one of those people.

Wow, you guys are a trip. lol! Talk yourself into reasoning that you paid money that was well spent.
Nope. Again, it's a matter of time = money, and I make more money in the time it would take to create these tank pads than what they cost to purchase from the manufacturer. YMMV, and in this case, the first "M" stands for money. Be sure and add the time you've spent on this thread telling the majority of us we are fools, and I think you'll find that you are in a money losing proposition.
rolleyes.gif

Well, this thread has spiraled into "he said she said" without getting off topic. You guys are certainly getting better. Proud of ya'... almost. Have a lovely day, Heidi

How about a heretical solution? Use BMW tank pads. I've used OEM BMW tank pads on my Concours for over 15 years. The ones I use were for a BMW K75 but the had a different shape for the K100. Admittedly these parts may be hard to find and won't have the coverage of the TechSpec Gripster tank pads.

But do not fear there is also CSS Tank Pads which are made in Germany and are available from Wunderlich America. They are cut in different shapes and sizes for different model BMWs so it would be a question of selecting the model with the right shape for you. The ones pictured below are for the R1100GS and sell for $39.00

1250004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A close up picture of the snakes on a Concours. You can see the beveled edge, a nice detail which would be a pain to duplicate if you cut your own.

150Kawasaki%20Concours,%20Snake%20Skin%20Kit.jpg

Gotta have em - so I'll just swallow hard and pony up.

A close up picture of the snakes on a Concours. You can see the beveled edge, a nice detail which would be a pain to duplicate if you cut your own.
150Kawasaki%20Concours,%20Snake%20Skin%20Kit.jpg

Gotta have em - so I'll just swallow hard and pony up.
Not for me.
tonguesmiley.gif

I have the tools and the skills but not the time. You can't have it all I guess.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Luv, I'm going for the techspec. I live in a rural area 25 miles from town, so it would be cost prohibitive for me to go from store to store looking for materials when I can get online and have something prefabricated delivered to me. In addition, I have several other interests that occupy my "free" time. In my situation, spending the astronomical sum of $50 is well worth it. I have the tools and talent to make something on my own but I tend to put that time into something that will make me money. I hope your project is a success. Maybe you can take your tank protector idea to the "Shark Tank" and see if Mark Cuban bites on it. Then you will be the one laughing at us throwing our money out the window on frivolous purchases. In the time it took to reply to this thread, I could have ordered the techspec product and have it being shipped to me. Can you produce something that is aesthetically pleasing and cost effective in a $50 time frame? Get off the computer and get to work. Post pics when you are done.