North Jersey Windscreen Testing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrats84

Reaction score
I just got an '06 last month and am looking to switch out the windshield. I have been doing a lot of reading on here about brands and sizes but still can't make up my mind. I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. With the stock shield all the way up, I get tossed around pretty good on the highway. My dilemma is wanting the bike to look as stock as possible without the buffeting and wind noise (it's bad). I'm leaning towards the CB +2+2 with flip. I have read on here though that people buy many and still aren't too happy. Any recommendations on being 6'1" and trying to look stock? Anyone in the North Jersey area with multiple screens that I could test out?

I've tired the Yamaha Touring Shield, the V-Stream, Cee Bailey's +4 High +2 Wide, and Cee Bailey's +4 +4. Cee Baileys's have been the best - both have the flip.

BTW I'll be listing the Cee Baily +4h +2w for sale - it's about 1 month old with light grey tint and flip - I;ve got to clean house on some of these four sheilds I have.

I just installed the Cee Baily tinted +2H and it is a big improvement over stock. So much so that I think I should have purchased the +2H-+2W.

I'm only 5"11" and with the windshield up about half way I can ride with my visor open with very little wind noise. I can now hear things on my bike that I never heard before. (at times a bit disconcerting) Maybe they should call it the Bose noise canceling windshield.

Since I haven't tried any other brands I can't comment on them but IMHO the Cee Bailey is much better than the stock windshield.

I just got an '06 last month and am looking to switch out the windshield. I have been doing a lot of reading on here about brands and sizes but still can't make up my mind. I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. With the stock shield all the way up, I get tossed around pretty good on the highway. My dilemma is wanting the bike to look as stock as possible without the buffeting and wind noise (it's bad). I'm leaning towards the CB +2+2 with flip. I have read on here though that people buy many and still aren't too happy. Any recommendations on being 6'1" and trying to look stock? Anyone in the North Jersey area with multiple screens that I could test out?
I bought the Yamaha touring screen, hoping it would raise it up enough to create an air bubble. I'm 6'0, 32" inseam and it doesn't, the wind hits me just above the visor which makes it still pretty noisy in my Arai and my head gets tossed around from the turbulence. I actually prefer the steady but turbulence free stream of air with the shield all the way down, which hits me right below the helmet. I think a flip could make a big difference by pushing the air up just that extra little bit and possible get rid of the turbulence. Also thinking about a Laminar Lip; some people swear by it but it does alter the look quite a bit (not for the better IMO).

If you are 6 ft, go with a sheild that id 4 inches taller than std. Often refered to +4. If you are over 6'2 go with a +6. This will get you in a still pocket of air. I don't think the brand makes as much difference as the height.

I've tired the Yamaha Touring Shield, the V-Stream, Cee Bailey's +4 High +2 Wide, and Cee Bailey's +4 +4. Cee Baileys's have been the best - both have the flip.BTW I'll be listing the Cee Baily +4h +2w for sale - it's about 1 month old with light grey tint and flip - I;ve got to clean house on some of these four sheilds I have.
I'm interested in your screen. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks.

If you are 6 ft, go with a sheild that id 4 inches taller than std. Often refered to +4. If you are over 6'2 go with a +6. This will get you in a still pocket of air. I don't think the brand makes as much difference as the height.
That's what I thought, but the Yamaha Touring Shield is +4 and it really doesn't cut it for me. I think the shape plays a pretty important part in reducing turbulence and its ability to push the air pocket up high enough to not put pressure on your back.

That's what I thought, but the Yamaha Touring Shield is +4 and it really doesn't cut it for me. I think the shape plays a pretty important part in reducing turbulence and its ability to push the air pocket up high enough to not put pressure on your back.
The Cee Bailey that I have is not only 2" taller but it has the reverse bevel which makes it more rigid. This windshield creates a noticeable air pocket when its raised about half way (beginning around 70 mph), much more than the stock windshield fully raised. So I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the shape not just height.