Not liking The FJR Sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride next to another FJR. The stock pipes aren't loud but sound pretty good when next to another. One guy said a sewing machine? Hmmm, interesting. I'd rate the Honda St1300 as sewing machine sounding... not the Feej. I always though that it sounded more like a turbine winding up. There are a # of good choices named here, but I think that most will be louder. Really, when I ride near another Feej I think... ooh, my bike sounds like that, too! Good music to my ears. I'll most likely stay w/ the stock exhaust, always.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, john....once I gets me harley runnin'(am working on having the engine rebuilt) Ride next to me and let me know......oh, I got straight pipes on the hog.

I love my new 06, it's my first bike at 50yo....but I am not crazy about how it sounds....I want more of a rumble than a whine....will any of these slip on exhausts give me a deeper sound....don't want loud, just want some throatiness.... Any suggestions?
John,

The Walker slip-ons with the stock header provide a much deeper sound. With the Walker 4-2 header, they can be downright loud, especially during acceleration, but with he stock header, they're sweet. Dale Walker is a great guy to do business with and the quality of his products is exceptional.

Move over odot...there's room for two of us on this couch. :friends: :jerry:

Didn't know that DALE Walker had a brother in the same line of work. Fancy that! Hopefully I will find out what they are like....soon.
Really..if you are going to flame a FNG (most hospitable of you to do so...I take it that you were never a newbie at any stage)...then try and quote the correct information, or better still, put your response in the correct thread.
You guys really go out of your way to give the FNG's a

Cheers Thug.....I'll note that after August (my 50th)....lol
Pardon me, flameboy, you have been in the pit and slinging your share of mud. You are Mr. 104 posts and throwing flaming arrows at someone who has 40 posts, and you have the audacity to accuse someone else of picking on new members/owners? There's no room for you on the couch!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

....don't want loud, just want some throatiness.... Any suggestions?
John, brundog has posted most of the aftermarket slip-on (muffler) manufacturers. You can check their websites or use the search function on this site. Try +slip + ons, or Holeshots, muzzy, etc. there is a lot of information and opinion here.

They are all "throaty" and they are all louder. I have Dale Walker "Holeshots" on mine and, honestly, I took them off before a ride today because I wanted to hear the quiet. They do "drone" on your ears and they are also intrusive to those around you (cars and other riders). But, if a more authoritative sound is what you want, buy'em and try'em.

Another thought, see if you can get together with other owners in your area. Someone is bound to have aftermarket pipes and you can hear what they sound like.

It has no sound so to speak, if anything a bit like a sewing machine.
Try any RPM under load ABOVE idle. :rolleyes:

When I really open up the 1.3L power-plant it kind of reminds me of the sound of a Hayabusa with stock cans. The FJR is just a bit more raspy.

I always though that it sounded more like a turbine winding up. Heidi
+1

I love the sound, especially when winding up from low revs right the way through a tall gear. I would much rather keep the sound as it is than have noisy pipes.
Cans don't have to be noisy at all, just sound nice and be audible enough to let cars know there is a bike in the vicinity.

Ride next to another FJR. The stock pipes aren't loud but sound pretty good when next to another. One guy said a sewing machine? Hmmm, interesting. I'd rate the Honda St1300 as sewing machine sounding... not the Feej. I always though that it sounded more like a turbine winding up. There are a # of good choices named here, but I think that most will be louder. Really, when I ride near another Feej I think... ooh, my bike sounds like that, too! Good music to my ears. I'll most likely stay w/ the stock exhaust, always.
Heidi
I am with ya there Heidi.Much rather spend the dinero on comfort,utilitarian and control items than increase the noise!

Kissimmee John, I can't agree with you more! Why settle for just a muffler swap?

Tell you what, I'll trade you straight up for my VTX1300C.

It's got a great single crank-pin Harley-like sound you will LIKE.

I'm just down the road in Sarasota.

Have Bike - Will Travel!

vtx_1330c__25feb06_010.jpg

I had to re-read Forum Guidelines before diving into this one.

Really..if you are going to flame a FNG (most hospitable of you to do so...I take it that you were never a newbie at any stage)...then try and quote the correct information, or better still, put your response in the correct thread.
Check your facts. 1) My quote leads directly to his comments. 2) I gave John a very thoughtful response in the correct thread.

You guys really go out of your way to give the FNG's a hard time, don't you. Almost like this is some exclusive club and newbies are not welcome.
I consider myself "new". I learn more that way. I've begun twice as many posts as my post count; always asking "does this really need to be out there?" So, maybe last night one slipped by the self-check.

I'm sorry for offending you. I'm sure your experience in Australia is much different that mine in the States. Perhaps you don't have men working out their midlife crisis by purchasing super-sport touring motorcycles and hoping they have enough luck to survive the experience.

This is a I-4, not a V-twin, so you will never get a true "rumble". However, most slip-ons will give you a little more throatiness. Do a search and you will hear a lot about Staintunes, blue-flames, holeshots, leo-vinces, muzzys, two brothers, D&Ds, and maybe a few others.
BTW, that's my nicest way of suggesting that you search before you post something that has been discussed ad nauseum.

-BD

Cans don't have to be noisy at all, just sound nice and be audible enough to let cars know there is a bike in the vicinity.
I don't care who you are, that's just funny! Good one Shadow. :lol: :lol:

Honestly, the bike makes noise? Is this a Audiophile forum or a Motorcycle forum? Ride the bike, listen to your stereo at home. ;)

Hey, I have some soup cans, some #10 tomato cans and I recently scored some pineapple cans from a restaurant supply. Which works the best? And do you find that woven twine works best or should I use some kind of thin gauge wire when I drag them behind me? Are they much louder than stock exhaust? :derisive:

Has anyone tried using a clothespin to clip the playing cards to the brake calipers? Is the noise from the 3-spoke wheels sufficient to alert any cars that I'm near? :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always though that it sounded more like a turbine winding up. Heidi
+1

I love the sound, especially when winding up from low revs right the way through a tall gear. I would much rather keep the sound as it is than have noisy pipes.
Same with me; I like the sound of the FJR. Of all the things I've nitpicked over with the bike, the sound is not one of them. It is quiet, has some intake noise for the rider to enjoy, but is stealthy.

Also, Kissimmee, the bike gets a bit noiser in the exhaust as the miles increase. Mine makes more now at 12k miles than it did new.

Oh, and where did this guy say anything about only having 400 miles on his bike?

Hey, I have some soup cans, some #10 tomato cans and I recently scored some pineapple cans from a restaurant supply. Which works the best? And do you find that woven twine works best or should I use some kind of thin gauge wire when I drag them behind me? Are they much louder than stock exhaust? :derisive:
Has anyone tried using a clothespin to clip the playing cards to the brake calipers? Is the noise from the 3-spoke wheels sufficient to alert any cars that I'm near? :dntknw:
*LMAO*

Hey, john....once I gets me harley runnin'(am working on having the engine rebuilt) Ride next to me and let me know......oh, I got straight pipes on the hog.
Since you have straight pipes, hopefully you'll never get it running. Motorcyclists have a difficult enough time with public relations and the growing trend of legislation against noise. I like aftermarket exhausts, but it is predominantly the Harley people (who are no doubt trying to compensate for some deficiency) that are going to create problems for all of us by their fondness of straight pipes.

Hey, the computer geek in me likes the sound of my FJR just as it is...... kinda reminds me of the light cycles in the movie "Tron"! :blink:

Ray

Just added some new leo Vince Ovals to my 07 and am quite happy with the sound. They are not loud, if that's what youwant' but do have a deep mellow note. Price is much less than the other brands also.