November Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGRE

Reaction score
I'll be back in the states the first part of November, and I'd love to get a group up for a ride before it gets too cold. I've spoken with several members from SC and Georgia about riding the roads in my area. I'd like to meet for breakfast at the crackerbarrel on I-85 exit 19 in anderson at maybe 9 am on sunday the 9th and go from there. Probably taking hwy 178(crosses 85 about a mile from the crackerbarrel) into north carolina, 276(i think) to Brevard. From brevard there are MANY good roads to ride...too many for one day. I'll work on completing the route and try to get it out in a format that is GPS friendly. Anyone who is interested let me know so I can figure out meal arraignments. If there is interest in 2 up riding let me know that too please. If anyone wants to stay in the area overnight I will get a list of hotels and prices. I think this can be a great ride and I know there are a lot of riders in the area. If you've never ridden in north west SC or southern NC this is an opportunity you can't miss!

Sounds like a plan. I may have something else that weekend that I will either try to get out of or at least come back early for the ride. I'll let you know when we get closer to the date. Stay safe over there!

I'm in. Most likely two-up. As long as the weather's nice.

Pics taken in the 178/64 area (south of 64) the last time We rode up 178. It was almost 70 deg when we left Cracker Barrel.

FJR012008010.jpg

FJR012008006.jpg

Sounds like a great ride plan. I'll look forward to more information as it develops.

I spent some time looking at possible routes the other night and there are many fantastic roads in the area. The climb north from the SC Foothills toward the ridge of the BRP creates some great elevation changes running through beautiful forests.

:yahoo: Count me in. :yahoo:

Sounds like a great ride. I'll try to keep the date open. Been wanting to ride that area again. Ogre, spent two years in Iraq. First thing I did when I got back was buy a feejer. By the way, I was working with a guy over there that was also from Pickens. Ride safe.

Ok, I'm Finalizing the route plan and I'd love to have some input from everyone interested in going.... the route will be a loop starting and ending at I-85 exit 19.... there will be oportunities for the Georgia riders to break off before then and head home if they need to... If the weather isn't TOO cold, my plan is to ride 178 through Rosman NC, 276 to the Blue ridge parkway, parkway to Cherokee, Cherokee to deals Gap, down Hwy 28 through the Cullasaja gorge and into franklin(georgia riders may want to split off here), continue down 28 through Seneca SC, hwy 123 back to I-85. I've taken this route many times and its about 5000 feet of elevation change, 300 miles total ride distance, with about 250 miles in the twisties. This would take us through FOUR STATES and over some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere! If everyone thinks it might be too much for a one day group ride we can cut out deals gap(drops to 245 miles and 3 states )and drop the cullasaja gorge (drops to 231). Let me know what you all think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will see when the date get's a little closer, I have to wait and get the wife's work schedule for November. Sounds like a fun time to be had.

Sounds like a fine plan...count me in, one-up. :yahoo: I doubt I will have my new Penske shock by then, so I am not sure I can keep up with gasportrider :rolleyes:

Ed

Sounds like a fine plan...count me in, one-up. :yahoo: I doubt I will have my new Penske shock by then, so I am not sure I can keep up with gasportrider :rolleyes: Ed
I will have to wait and see as the date gets closer too. Hey Ed, you can look at my Penske if you want. :p Oh, and listen to my new exhaust... :lol:

Just checked the mileage to Rosman...... 185 miles just to get there. Soooooo if I'm riding dual, I probably won't commit to the ride. I would have to travel through Cleveland TN, down the Ocoee (64-74) over to Murphy NC, through Franklin on to Rosman. Now if you were going to modify the route, or I ride solo it may good. Especially if you ride the Dragon....Then I can split up somewhere near the West end of 129 and head for the Ponderosa!... :thumbsup:

DON

Would like to meet up with you guys and ride also. But I am more "spur of the moment". So I wont know for sure until the day before or that day. If so I will meet you guys at the KrackerBArrerll at 9

Mrs. Twisty and I were thinking about doing a little overnighter next weekend (Nov. 1 & 2) and we were planning on heading up that way...maybe spend the night in Highlands, NC or somewhere around there.

I am scheduled for rotator cuff surgery Monday, Nov. 3, so I would like to get some good riding in while I still can. From what I have read about the surgery, I will not be able to drive a car for 6 weeks. I guess they mean motorcycles too. This is gonna suck, but I need to get it done, and I guess this is a good time of year to do it.

Perhaps we could meet up with the group somewhere or if anyone wants to catch us at any of these locations (see route below), let me know and we will be happy to meet you somewhere along the way.

Here is a link to our most likely route, but we are open to suggestions: Clicky

EDIT: I don't mean to hijack the ride. I just thought we might meet up with the group somewhere.

I might be in, depending on unforeseens, as Anderson is only about 70 miles from here. Need to work out that new front tire, anyway.

I might be in, depending on unforeseens, as Anderson is only about 70 miles from here. Need to work out that new front tire, anyway.
You still haven't got a tire yet? Come on man we got to go riding soon! Will probably be out tomorrow 2-up, so call me or at least get it fixed before this ride.

Alright, it's Tuesday morning here, Monday night for you guys. We've got less than a week until the ride. I just checked the extended forcast and it says that it will be mostly sunny with a high of 64 degree's. I hope everyone can make it out, it looks like the weather just might co-operate. GASportrider is helping me get the route together and converted to GPX format(I can't figure that crap out) ... Looks like around 200 miles with MUCHO twisties. Anyone who hasn't confirmed already, please let me know when you can. You can message me here or at [email protected]. I'll be home after thursday and you can call my cell (864) 710-3177 for last minute changes. I'm looking forward to this ride at least as much as seeing my wife :yahoo: Can't wait to meet everyone.

Jeremiah

Here's a jpeg of the map so everyone can get a look at the route.

Nov9thride.jpg

The start and end address is: 126 interstate blvd Anderson SC

Total miles 231

Sorry I won't be able to make this one, but plan on going out Saturday if anyone is interested. I rode Thursday and the Fall colors and weather are great right now.