Odd question - is there a way to heat your topbox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I've got an interesting situation. I'm in the army, and my job is an army musician. I play clarinet for the army. And I LOVE my job! That being said, I am transporting the clarinet back and forth to work and gigs, and it's getting mighty cold out there. And cold plus a wooden clarinet is NOT a good combination. So instead of having to work deals with the wife to drop me off in the morning or something like that, is there some way to heat the inside of your trunk to a reasonable temperature? (somewhere between 60 and 80). Even if someone knows of some sort of small 12v heater with a thermostat on it that'd be good. It's only needed for the winter and only when I'm bringing my instrument back and forth to work. Thanks.

Alexi

If you want to try your hand at being an electrician and wire a heating element into there with a thermostat...you might be able to use a heated vest or an incandescent bulb. But, the cost, testing, and potential for extreme temps or uneven heating too me would seem not remotely worth the effort. Unless you're riding a hundred miles each way in subfreezing weather it seems like a better option would be a clarinet case on the inside that's presumably insulated....and if not enough....wrap it some more for transport with insulation. Think R10 or so. ;)

Try using a cheap set of grip heaters in the lining of the clarinet case. It shouldn't take much to keep your instrument warm. :)

ebay link $20.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the heated sock/grip warmer ideas. And yup, every week I drive about 80 miles to a lesson. GREAT teacher, well worth the trip, but 80 miles lets the clarinet lose ALL it's warmth. I guess I have to find a good balance between heated elements and how much insulation to run in the box. Too much insulation would mean overheating it, not enough would be pointless. Unless I don't insulate at all but put the heated element close enough to the clarinet....

LOVE the idea of modding my clarinet case to have a powerlet plug. I would love to explain my electrified clarinet case to the commander. lol.

Alexi

I have seen small 12V heaters advertised for cars. You can plug them in at your cig lighter outlet. They work really well. May be you could rig it with a thermostat so it shut off and turns on when needed.

Lots of them on fleabay 120W-200W

Alfredo

My wife has a casserole dish with a little packet you warm up and an insulated container to keep it all warm. Might be able to find one big enough to slip the clarinet case in with the packet and keep it warm enough for your commute.

heating an uninsulated trunk can be a big load on your charging system. contained/directed heat would be more efficient. something like the heat packs would be zero load on your bike and not require drilling holes in the trunk to get wires inside it.

I'm thinking one of those microwavable heating pads you can get at the pharmacy for aches and pains. Nuke for a while to get it good and warm, it will dump heat into the top case for quite a while. Repeat when your leave for the return trip.

Not a bunch of money, and no electrical load on the bike. Generating heat electrically is just about the least efficient thing mankind has learned how to do.

Wrap your headers in solid copper surrounded by some type of liquid heat sink (like what we can use to cool computer cases). Recirculate the fluid via a small amperage electronic fuel pump through a full fluid circuit. Find an in-line fluid thermostat which closes off when you hit the desired temperature but opens when it gets too cool. This would obviously have to be an active and not passively activated valve. Install a radiator for the fluid inside your rear case with another small amp fan to distribute the heat evenly throughout the top case. Done :)

I looked at these Automotive Seat Heating Pads for various motorcycle heating applications.

Or you could use a couple of these Thermoelectric modules strategically placed on an aluminum case to produce distributed warmth. Although they will definitely need a basic controller of sorts.

I have a pair of battery powered gloves I bought for skiiing, which I think would work very well. Made by Gerbing I think. If you get the XL, then wrap the put the clarinet inside the two gloves combined, I think it would be long enough.....I just measured the inside from end to where the fingers start, and each one is about 8 inches. Would that be long enough?

Greg

Battery Powered socks - avaialable at nearly all sporting goods stores (i got mine at WalMart). Uses d-cells, so cheap to maintain.

Generating heat electrically is just about the least efficient thing mankind has learned how to do.
Actually the truth is that all electric heaters are 100% efficient, it is just an expensive form of heat.

Build a custom cooler.

You will need:

two sheets of plastic

one or two cans of spray foam

a cardboard box (or just use your top box and four sheets of plastic)

(edit: Test the foam on the plastic. You don't want to find out the foam degrades the plastic and will eat right through to your instrument.)

Use the plastic to protect the instrument's case; one sheet on top and one sheet on the bottom facing each other.

Spray the foam on the plastic, let cure and trim to fit the box. If done correctly the plastic sheets will be your parting line, and you will have two halves.

Don't spay the foam too thick, it won't cure properly. Lay down a bead at a time, allow to expand and fully cure. Then, add another bead and allow to cure fully.

P.S. I also give marital advice!