Odd question - is there a way to heat your topbox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about wearing a larger jacket and carry it under the jacket hanging it in front of your chest. Probably don't want to do a get off but that would be my solution!
You forgot the ducktape to secure the case to your body. Geesh! :p

How about those little hand warmer packets?
I'm with Johnny. I like the simplest approach. Why monkey with wiring, current draw, or expensive electrified gadgets when you can get something like these for less than a buck each. Each one lasts 8-10 hours, probably enough to get you where you're going and home at the end of the day. Put one, maybe two, next to your trombone* and wrap the whole thing with a couple feet of insulation from the hardware store. For the few times a year you'd really need to do this (I'm guessing), it would take a long time for the cost of the warmers to match the cost of any of these other ideas.

*Probably works with clarinets too.

Last edited by a moderator:
hibachi, charcoal, lighter fluid, match, maybe addition of smoker open/close valve added to lid of topbox
Great idea, Patriot! :yahoo: :p

Motorcycle_on_fire.jpg

I'm thinking one of those microwavable heating pads you can get at the pharmacy for aches and pains. Nuke for a while to get it good and warm, it will dump heat into the top case for quite a while. Repeat when your leave for the return trip.

Not a bunch of money, and no electrical load on the bike. Generating heat electrically is just about the least efficient thing mankind has learned how to do.
+1 If you have access to a microwave, then this idea sounds good. You could use 2 of them, wrapped around you instrument :huh: (if it's that big), then wrap the whole thing in a small fleece blanket.

You should be able to get your hands on all the MRE chemical heaters you could ever need, for free, being in the Army and all.

Find the cheapest used electric vest you can find and wrap it in that. May be extreme but tempering wood both ways, cold to warm, and then warm to cold will destroy it pretty quickly. I am sure a used any size electric vest or liner is a lot less then a new instrument. I know my nephew plays one and has some mad money invested in various types.

Find the cheapest used electric vest you can find and wrap it in that. May be extreme but tempering wood both ways, cold to warm, and then warm to cold will destroy it pretty quickly. I am sure a used any size electric vest or liner is a lot less then a new instrument. I know my nephew plays one and has some mad money invested in various types.
Yup. My clarinet new is 3750. I got it used for a song and dance, but still need to keep it protected which is why it'll be staying in a case. I'm looking at a heated vest or (even cheaper) a heated blanket for a car that runs off of 12v battery. I'm also contacting another clarinetist/motorcyclist who actually convinced gerbing to help him modify his clarinet case to make it heated. I'm gonna ask what they did and how much it cost.

Alexi

If your intrument is already in a carrying case, I would line the top case with 2 large blocks of foam rubber. One for the bottom, one for the top. Then trace your intrument case on the foam and cut out a section so your case fits right into this foam bed. If you end up with a couple of inches of foam around most of the case it will go a long way to insulating and protecting it. Then you can add a heat source of some kind and it will hold the heat better and longer.

I like the microwave wrap idea. Put it on the bottom and the heat will rise up into and around it.

If you have an FJR1300AE you could play while you ride. Left hand on the instrument, right hand on the throttle. Please post on YouTube.

Or you could get a Honda ST1300 and strap the clarinette to your left shin where it will be nice and warm.

But seriously, I think you need to be careful about keeping the entire instrument at a consistent temp - no hot spots or cold at one end, hot at the other. Since you are in GA, it can't be all that extremely cold, so why not just wrap the whole case in as much insulation as you can - bubblewrap, towels, sweatshirts, etc. The foam-to-fit suggestion above would be the best but more work. That Great Stuff spray foam is a terrific insulator but don't get it anywhere it's not supposed to be!

Is it too late to learn a brass instrument? :rolleyes:

pete

If you have an FJR1300AE you could play while you ride. Left hand on the instrument, right hand on the throttle. Please post on YouTube.
Nah. Play it right. Get an AE with cruise control.

We'd all be better off if you keep your hands off your instrument while you're riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your instrument is probably valuable enough to protect, as well as keep warm, I suggest the Hot Gear Bag. Not cheap, but runs on 12V current with adjustable heat settings, and works very well. Also happens to be a tough waterproof case for carrying things. We use them for their intended purpose, ski boots.

Coleman and Igloo both make cooler/heater combos that are 12v and plug into a cigarette lighter. Not sure what sizes they have available.

Found this one from Koolatron

Some of those might work to strap on the rear seat instead of in the trunk.

I'm thinking one of those microwavable heating pads you can get at the pharmacy for aches and pains. Nuke for a while to get it good and warm, it will dump heat into the top case for quite a while. Repeat when your leave for the return trip.

Not a bunch of money, and no electrical load on the bike. Generating heat electrically is just about the least efficient thing mankind has learned how to do.
+1 If you have access to a microwave, then this idea sounds good. You could use 2 of them, wrapped around you instrument :huh: (if it's that big), then wrap the whole thing in a small fleece blanket.
My wife made up a couple of small pillows filled with FIELD CORN. 2 min in a microwave, and you get over an hr of warmth. She saw this in one of her crafty magazines. She makes them for Christmas presents. I toss one in my jacket when it's real cold.

My wife made up a couple of small pillows filled with FIELD CORN. 2 min in a microwave, and you get over an hr of warmth. She saw this in one of her crafty magazines. She makes them for Christmas presents. I toss one in my jacket when it's real cold.

There you go, get or make a cornhole game and you have some heaters and something to do at tailgates. I'll have to try that!