OEM or EMGO?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
You do get what you pay for. A friend of mine with an FZ1 bought a replacement EMGO mirror and the lens rattled at speed making the image very blurry and hard to discern. The EMGO mirrors also do not fold like the OEM mirrors do.

Chris

OEM, the cheaper one vibrate too much and don't fold back as nice and I heard they break off, check the FZ1 fourm and e-bay for used OEM mirrors

Go with the OEM mirrors. IIRC, there are very few who've had a good experience with non-OEM ones. I have the OEM FZ1 mirrors on mine and they're rock solid.

I don't know anything about the "like OEM" mirrors, but my Yamaha FZ1 mirrors do not vibrate or move. I know that a vast majority of the people that bought knock-off mirrors ended up scrapping them or selling them and just springing for the OEMs because the knock-offs sucked. YMMV, but my advice is just spend the little extra and get the OEMs.

OEM all the way. It'll be money well spent.

But shop around, there's good deals out there if you look.

I got mine from Zanotti but that may no longer be an option.

Ping Alex at Mishacycles.com for a quote.

First, I too bought a pair of cheapo FZ-1 style mirrors from EBay. Saved a few bucks. Well, for one thing, one of them had an irregular surface that made traffic behind look like I was in the funhouse on the midway. They didn't fold in worth a damn (and you want them to fold in more than you do with your stock mirrors because they stick out so damn far otherwise). Trying to address that, I loosened them up a little at the point the pivot was.

I was making a turn when the damn thing fell right off the motorcycle! It happened to stay sort-of attached because I'd glued a strip of LED lighting to the outside edge of the mirrors to light up with my turn signals and that kept me from losing it completely. On the other hand, I might as well have lost it, because the first thing I did when I got home was pull those pieces of shit right off and throw them in the trash. I wasn't about to offer them up to anybody else--even for free. So much for the knockoffs.

On the other hand, for an opposing view about the wonderfulness of FZ-1 mirrors in the first place, right here you'll find a thread I just started on that subject. I was going to include it in this post, but it would have been a big-time hijack, for one thing, and I wanted it to have its own topic heading so it would be seen. I'm bracing myself for a shitstorm of, well, shit, this being Friday and everything. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed a set of OEM quality mirrors on my genII that came from Fly-N-Cycle https://www.flyncycle.com/Yamaha_Motorcycle_Mirrors_p/mry-001.htm these are first rate with no vibes or lense shaking. The detent is nice and positive. These are as good as OEM with some savings to boot. I have done business with these good folks several times and have never been left wanting for the lack of quality. Their service is outstanding to boot.

...On the other hand, for an opposing view about the wonderfulness of FZ-1 mirrors in the first place, right here you'll find a thread I just started on that subject. I was going to include it in this post, but it would have been a big-time hijack, for one thing, and I wanted it to have its own topic heading so it would be seen. I'm bracing myself for a shitstorm of, well, shit, this being Friday and everything. :rolleyes:
Watch out Mike...or I'm gonna (-1) your post! :lol:

I just installed a set of OEM quality mirrors on my genII that came from Fly-N-Cycle https://www.flyncycle.com/Yamaha_Motorcycle_Mirrors_p/mry-001.htm these are first rate with no vibes or lense shaking. The detent is nice and positive. These are as good as OEM with some savings to boot. I have done business with these good folks several times and have never been left wanting for the lack of quality. Their service is outstanding to boot.
Thanks for that! Trouble is they only ship free to the US.

I was at the Yamaha dealership today and reminded them that I just bought a fancy Olympia riding suit from them, so doesn't that make me 'special' - nudge, nudge, wink, wink. The mirrors will be here next week - at a discount :yahoo: