OEM Shock Replacement for '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I've been reading a ton of info here but seem to be getting more confused. I'm trying to keep the cost down so I was going to replace the rear shock with an '08 OEM, but now I see the newer generations have better OEM shocks that will work on the '08 A model. It would be helpful if someone could help me narrow it down to exactly which year and perhaps part number I should purchase. Thanks in advance. 

All years indeed will fit, however, check out the later non-electronic suspension, "A" model bikes. The 2008 will cost you $684 at PartZilla, the 2016 will cost you $418. The 2016 has stiffer springs which will bring your ride height up near proper level. I have a 2008 FJR Advanced Edition, and replaced the rear shock back in 2018. Up until then I had to run with the shock set to "stiff" to support my 240 pounds while solo riding. Due to the stiffer springs the new unit supports me on the "soft" setting, which gives me more adjustment for when I load the camping gear on the back seat. 

Hope this helps.

Brodie

🙂

Updating my shock also, and noticed 2 different part numbers for 2013-2015 vs the 2016-2017 shocks.   Minor difference, 1MC-22210-10-00 vs 1MC22210-50-00. Anyone aware of any changes in spring rates or valving, or is it just cosmetic or inventory issue? Tia!

Latest posts