Off to some start with my new FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBAR

Reaction score
Well I have a new 2010 FJR and so far I am liking it a lot. I came from a 2008 Concours14 to the FJR. I can tell you that they're both great bikes. But the C14's have had a lot of little problems on it. And as had mine. So the the FJR is getting it's shot. I have friends with FJR's so I was no stranger to them. SO when I had enough of being stranded by Kawasaki's answer to a problem that didn't exsist (KIPASS). I traded the C14 in on a 2010 FJR.

I already experienced the oil filter draining onto the lower fairing problem. But I already heard of the aluminum foil or the screw driver methods. So hopefully I won't feel like a moron cleaning up oil after a simple oil change next time. Like the C14, the FJR comes with the (IMO) junk bridgestone 021's. I haven't decided if I'm going to wear them out, or bite the bullet to enjoy the bike more with a set of Angels. I persoanlly like the Angels for their grip and confidence inspiring handleing in all types of weather. I don't care for the PR2's, becasue they didn't grip on the C!4. I removed them early because the rear loved to step out on me no matter what the throttle input or tire pressure. I went back to Pirelli and do not regret it one bit. SO I'll be going Pirelli on the FJR as well.

The seat isn't great on the FJR, but is better than the factory C14 torture device they called a seat. I tried a buddies Russel on his FJR and found it too tight forward and back for me. So I'm thinking Sargent. I had a Corbin heated on the C14 and liked it. But I may try the Sargent on the FJR since I've never had one and others seem to like them.

I went with a Techmount stem mount for the Zumo. But I don't find the adjustability very good. I'm thinking if going to a techmount mirror mount instead. I'm also considering another McCruise for the FJR as well. But they are pricey.

So far I'm liking the lighter feel and nimbleness of the FJR. Running 87 octane doesn't hurt either. Anyway, that's a start for me on the forum. Lets see how it pans out.

Bob

Well I have a new 2010 FJR and so far I am liking it a lot. I came from a 2008 Concours14 to the FJR. I can tell you that they're both great bikes. But the C14's have had a lot of little problems on it. And as had mine. So the the FJR is getting it's shot. I have friends with FJR's so I was no stranger to them. SO when I had enough of being stranded by Kawasaki's answer to a problem that didn't exsist (KIPASS). I traded the C14 in on a 2010 FJR.I already experienced the oil filter draining onto the lower fairing problem. But I already heard of the aluminum foil or the screw driver methods. So hopefully I won't feel like a moron cleaning up oil after a simple oil change next time. Like the C14, the FJR comes with the (IMO) junk bridgestone 021's. I haven't decided if I'm going to wear them out, or bite the bullet to enjoy the bike more with a set of Angels. I persoanlly like the Angels for their grip and confidence inspiring handleing in all types of weather. I don't care for the PR2's, becasue they didn't grip on the C!4. I removed them early because the rear loved to step out on me no matter what the throttle input or tire pressure. I went back to Pirelli and do not regret it one bit. SO I'll be going Pirelli on the FJR as well.

The seat isn't great on the FJR, but is better than the factory C14 torture device they called a seat. I tried a buddies Russel on his FJR and found it too tight forward and back for me. So I'm thinking Sargent. I had a Corbin heated on the C14 and liked it. But I may try the Sargent on the FJR since I've never had one and others seem to like them.

I went with a Techmount stem mount for the Zumo. But I don't find the adjustability very good. I'm thinking if going to a techmount mirror mount instead. I'm also considering another McCruise for the FJR as well. But they are pricey.

So far I'm liking the lighter feel and nimbleness of the FJR. Running 87 octane doesn't hurt either. Anyway, that's a start for me on the forum. Lets see how it pans out.

Bob
Welcome Bob:

I too came over from the connie (mine was an 04 - that I still miss). I have an 05 fjr that after 5 months I'm lovin. Yes, the stock seat sux, and it took about 5000 miles to figure out a comfortable riding position, but I'm quite happy with my choice.

I suspect you'll find the fjr a much more pleasant ride than the c14 (On all my test rides the c14 felt snatchy and twitchy and generally a hair-raising experience).

There's a great depth on knowledge on this board and some very funny fuc*ers, you'll have a good time. Dive in and best of luck with the new ride.

Baz

Don't go by the buddy's Russell, they're not generic, they're made to fit the buyer, so if you're a bit bigger, or have a different position preference, his seat won't feel good to you at ll.

Re: oil filter change- just remove the screw that holds the lower plastic and prop it out of the way- the oil will drain straight down, no mess !

Welcome over,

The Russell group buy is going now. If like last year, you will soon see a few Sargent and Corbin seats for sale here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Congrats on your FJR. I bought a 2010 a month or two ago. No problems.

I don't ride my other bikes as much anymore. I still love my 06 Sportster. Just a great bike for 55 - 60 mph country roads near where I live.

My advice for what it is worth is do nothing for 1K or so. The seat probably needs to be broken in and may not be that bad. Mine is ok for hours except for the ass itch due to the summer heat.

KP

Mine is ok for hours except for the ass itch due to the summer heat.
04902242853_450x450_a.jpg

Same exact formula as Gold Bond Medicated Powder, but $3 less for the same size.

Good stuff on hot, sweaty posteriors.

Welcome over,
The Russell group buy is going now. If like last year, you will soon see a few Sargent and Corbin seats for sale here.
+1 - but skip the Corbins. Buy a Sargent. It is the next best thing to a full custom (Russell or Mayer) but still allows pretty good mobility on the seat for sport riding.

You can also get Russell or Mayer to make a seat to your specs, so if you want more fore and aft, just ask for it.

Same exact formula as Gold Bond Medicated Powder, but $3 less for the same size.

That's ok for radio jocks sitting in chairs, but for riding the bike, you'll be much happier with a pair of LD Comfort shorts or other wicking garments. The powder will just clog your pores. The LD Comfort will keep the moisture off your skin, and you won't get monkey butt.

That's ok for radio jocks sitting in chairs, but for riding the bike, you'll be much happier with a pair of LD Comfort shorts or other wicking garments. The powder will just clog your pores. The LD Comfort will keep the moisture off your skin, and you won't get monkey butt.
Yeahbut .... Howie likes monkey butt..

ass.jpg

Yeah, you wanna hit it don't ya Howie?

:jester:

Yeahbut .... Howie likes monkey butt..

ass.jpg

Yeah, you wanna hit it don't ya Howie?

:jester:
WITH YOUR FACE!!! :****:

Damn, when Bust said "I always liked my monkeys with a heart shaped butt", I thought he was just POI.

You sick fuks need to go visit the trailer park so Mom/Sis can see that you haven't been changed by the big city.

I must have missed something when I tried the LD stuff a year or two ago. As long as I kept moving, it was a non-event, no different from standard cotton. But each time I had to slow or stop (for traffic, stop signs, red lights, etc), my body temp shot up, sweat ran freely and abundantly, and then when I was able to move again there was a quick chill while the sweat evaporated off. All in all, it wasn't a good experience and the LD stuff has stayed in the back of the closet ever since.

I know the LD stuff gets very high marks around here, but I couldn't figure out how to make it more comfortable than cotton.

By "stuff" do you mean their shorts, shirts, or both?

I can only speak to the LD shorts, as I've never felt the need to spend improve my comfort that much in the upper body. What makes the shorts so much more comfortable than regular cotton boxer briefs is, like bicycle shorts they do not have seams in the sitting area. They have a stretchy fabric that will not fold or bunch up during use. So, no hot spots on the derriere. And, they do not absorb any moisture, so you do not feel like you are sitting in a wet diaper all day.

If it is warm enough out that I'm sweating profusely under my gear, I am generally appreciative of any evaporative cooling that takes place.

Different strokes...

I can only speak to the LD shorts, as I've never felt the need to spend improve my comfort that much in the upper body. What makes the shorts so much more comfortable than regular cotton boxer briefs is, like bicycle shorts they do not have seams in the sitting area. They have a stretchy fabric that will not fold or bunch up during use. So, no hot spots on the derriere. And, they do not absorb any moisture, so you do not feel like you are sitting in a wet diaper all day.

If it is warm enough out that I'm sweating profusely under my gear, I am generally appreciative of any evaporative cooling that takes place.

Different strokes...
Thanks, Fred. Yes, I meant both shorts and shirt. Actually, the shorts were the worst for me because my junk kept getting caught in weird positions so that there was tugging and pulling, but definitely not in a good way. After a few miles I felt like I was sitting on my boys and hairs were being pulled out a few at a time. If I was hell bent on using LD undergarments, I could get around the second part by shaving, I suppose, but the first part would require a jock strap or some kind of tape, and either of those solutions is more than I'm willing to put up with. :yahoo:

Different strokes...
Thanks, Fred. Yes, I meant both shorts and shirt. Actually, the shorts were the worst for me because my junk kept getting caught in weird positions so that there was tugging and pulling, but definitely not in a good way. After a few miles I felt like I was sitting on my boys and hairs were being pulled out a few at a time. If I was hell bent on using LD undergarments, I could get around the second part by shaving, I suppose, but the first part would require a jock strap or some kind of tape, and either of those solutions is more than I'm willing to put up with. :yahoo:
[SIZE=36pt][/SIZE]

TMI!!!

I guess I'm somewhat used to the "junk" sometimes ending up in the wrong places from time to time from my days as a road cyclist. It's just a fact of life when wearing spandex and "sitting" on a 1" wide seat. Sometimes you just have to reach on down there and make things right, and not worry about what that little old lady in the Buick thinks about that. :lol: