Official EODZA Results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
This past weekend saw 31 "End of Days - Zombie Apocalypse" hunter-killers rode over 48,000 miles within the 32-hour event.

Knives were thrown. Gunfire was prevalent. Many, many Zombies died a heinous death.

Evidence: https://tobie.smugmug.com/

Official Finisher stats and corrected mileage: https://www.fjrtech.c...inalresults.pdf

Some noteworthy results by Warchild about certain forum member and kindred motorcycles on various platforms :

• Beerme and Skooterg are deadly accurate with firearms.
  • Highest placement ever for a Cognoscente Group rookie riding a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa a staggering 2121.5 miles to garner 2nd Place in this event.
  • Highest mileage belonged to the winner, as is proper and typical for a Cognoscente Group event.
  • EODZA winner: Ignacio.... he is an animal. 'Nuff said.
And I note:

• 5 of the top 6 finishers were on FJRs.
  • Ignacio beat Skooterg in a rally for the first time by nearly doubling his points...and intends to rub it in every chance he gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get the chance to, but I would have loved to hear Eric's story. He rode almost as many miles as Matt did (well not quite, but more than the second place finisher), but unlike the top two finishers, he went where none of the other riders went. Eric is an outstanding strategist and rallyist, I had been wondering what led him on the route that he was on for the rally.

It was a really good time and a well thought out and executed event. Kudos to Brian Roberts for an amazing rally and one where riders could go just about any direction they wanted to, along with very fun components to challenge the riders as they planned.

The knife throwing and shooting didn't suck either. Although, if most of us throw a knife at you, the worst you'll be doing is going "ow" and rubbing a spot where it bounced off. :lol: :lol:

I managed a respectable 12th and 1850+ miles. I took my helmet off once, at about the 24 hour mark, to grab a quick sit down bit of chow and some coffee. I was needing some off the bike time, so that 20 minutes was well spent. As with any rally, I applied things I learned before and learned more things to add to my skills.

Thanks to the Cognoscente Group and all the assistants/helpers/Zombies!

It was a really good time and a well thought out and executed event. Kudos to Brian Roberts for an amazing rally and one where riders could go just about any direction they wanted to, along with very fun components to challenge the riders as they planned.

The knife throwing and shooting didn't suck either. Although, if most of us throw a knife at you, the worst you'll be doing is going "ow" and rubbing a spot where it bounced off. :lol: :lol:

I managed a respectable 12th and 1850+ miles. I took my helmet off once, at about the 24 hour mark, to grab a quick sit down bit of chow and some coffee. I was needing some off the bike time, so that 20 minutes was well spent. As with any rally, I applied things I learned before and learned more things to add to my skills.

Thanks to the Cognoscente Group and all the assistants/helpers/Zombies!
Mr. Eric, how's the S10 as a LD Bike?

Mr. Eric, how's the S10 as a LD Bike?
It's no FJR.

It will do, and I loved charging up the dirt road at 0200 with K60s and traction control w/o stress, (had a ball), but for hammering out the distance, it's lacking in several areas. Fuel consumption, smoothness, weather protection, to name a few.

How is Cletha's bike?? :unsure:
FUBAR

We are waiting to get a determination from the dealer and extended (aftermarket) warranty company.

Water pump failed, engine overheated, total engine loss resulted. Non re-buildable design, so complete new engine will be required. Cost estimates exceed the price of a new bike MSRP at this point. This is the third failure that has stranded us in less than 18 months on this bike. It fits Cletha very well, but we could be happier with the reliability and dealer service we have received.

All service has been dealer performed with the exception of one oil change and one sprockets/chain replacement, and all service intervals were performed in a timely manner.

How is Cletha's bike?? :unsure:
FUBAR

We are waiting to get a determination from the dealer and extended (aftermarket) warranty company.

Water pump failed, engine overheated, total engine loss resulted. Non re-buildable design, so complete new engine will be required. Cost estimates exceed the price of a new bike MSRP at this point. This is the third failure that has stranded us in less than 18 months on this bike. It fits Cletha very well, but we could be happier with the reliability and dealer service we have received.

All service has been dealer performed with the exception of one oil change and one sprockets/chain replacement, and all service intervals were performed in a timely manner.
Wow... that is a major bummer! I'd think BMW would want to be making it right given the amount of exposure this will get especially with the IBA crowd... hope things are rectified in a positive manner!!

Wow... that is a major bummer! I'd think BMW would want to be making it right given the amount of exposure this will get especially with the IBA crowd... hope things are rectified in a positive manner!!
well, not sure BMW cares. The factory warranty is only 36k & 1 year. We are well past that.

well, not sure BMW cares. The factory warranty is only 36k & 1 year. We are well past that.
Factory warrant is 3 years. Standard BMW warranty - 3 years and 36k miles.

Sorry to hear of Cletha's bike woes. That is a major bummer.

What is totally scary is the lack of warning of anything being wrong.

Factory warrant is 3 years. Standard BMW warranty - 3 years and 36k miles.

Sorry to hear of Cletha's bike woes. That is a major bummer.

What is totally scary is the lack of warning of anything being wrong.
Of course, Skooter is correct on the warranty. But I suspect Cletha is past 36K. Agree that lack of warning is scary. Similar failure on a borrowed K1200GT that a friend rode to Spokane to greet me in 2009. Happened in an Indian Reservation in eastern Montana. However, he noticed the heating up and pulled over. Still a very costly tow (to Sturgis) and repair. Not to mention the flights for him to get home and the owner to get back to get it. And of course all the other BS and drama that goes along with the 3 riders and 2 bikes on the side of the road.

Now, depending on the situation, BMW does sometimes step up in these kinds of cases. I think it really depends on the service manager at the dealership. Best wishes to Cletha and I hope things work out at least reasonably satisfactorily. I'll tell you, the wee strom aint bad at all. Def needs a seat and she'd probably want to lower it, but it really performed quite well on my little adventure. :)

Would just like to thank the organizers for putting on a great event. Had a lot of fun and met some really cool people. Never having ridden in a

motorcycle rally, I was thrilled with my last place finish. I 'm starting to look for some thing here on the East Coast.

Congrad's to the podium finishers, that was some incredible riding.

Just wondering how much cash Warchild lost in the pool, betting I wouldn't finish? LOL

Walter

Yes, Skooter is correct, 3 years. I space that because all of the LD riders I know blow out the 36k in the first year or so. The dealer that has the bike wants to be a "premier" dealer, but in the past we have had some spotty results. They have done right by us so far, aside from declining to repair everything that had an open Puma letter when we were still under warranty. The dealer has a harder time with known issues that aren't verifiable "problems" yet.

A different BMW dealer told me flat out that BMW has a tendency to remove/change puma letters in the system when they want to, and it's a toss up if the new part will have a revision number or not.

Right now, it's more about the after market warranty folks than the dealer. We are waiting to see how that goes. We had zero indication of an overheat condition, even when the coolant spewed out the overflow bottle's cap, still no over heat light on the dash. At that point, I just thought the nipple and hose had come off and I topped off the coolant overflow bottle, but it did not occur to me to check to see if the radiator was hot. I've never had a water pump on a bike fail before. We weren't riding hard, no wind and a fairly cool day in the upper 70s or low 80's and overcast. Not like the first time in spewed coolant, uphill on a triple digit day into a headwind. (at which point we were told it's a cosmetic issue, don't worry about it, and I put a rag over the cap so the coolant spraying out wouldn't spray on Cletha. Total loss of coolant was perhaps a cup, leaving the overflow bottle at the 'min' level, which the Puma letter now recommends to leave it at, so it doesn't spew coolant)

It didn't appear to lose much coolant this time either, and wasn't showing overheat condition on the dash, so we rode on after I topped off the overflow bottle and screwed the nipple and hose back on. Next thing we know, it's doing weird things with the temp gauge, then reads cool and stays there, then a few miles later, it dies after a puff of white smoke out the tail pipe. I'm guessing that's when the head gasket went.

Will the water pump take over as BMW's Achilles heel from the final drive woes?

Mi bastard step-pappy's K16GT had it's water pump replaced at 5k miles. Another local friend is on an extended trip with his wife on his K16GT in the southeast. A couple of days ago I get a text that his K16GT is staying in Greensboro, NC, at a BMW dealer while he and his wife fly to Quebec, their ultimate destination. Seems his water pump went kaput and is waiting for a replacement. This was his SECOND water pump to go bad. I believe he has about 20k miles on the bike so far.

Last I heard from him:

I will be traveling two up on my GS from now on. Also will see how BMW's roadside pays. $1600.00 in airline and $700.00 car rental so far.

Seems those elite German engineers can't figure out how to build a decent water pump. Kind of scary considering the venerable boxer 1200GS, their most popular model worldwide will be going to water cooling for 2013! :blink:

Thanks for posting up the results. That was about the most fun I had in the last few years. Was great meeting all you guys, and putting faces to the names I follow in different events. I'm really considering getting a FJR as a 2nd bike after this. Off to the for sale section :) .