Offroading an FJR? ...or...InFeDeLiTy...*gasp*!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I have a the KTM950Adv for dual sport trips. (and yes I haven had it off road, through streams and maybe even off a few jumps.... :blink: And for the serious dirt I have the Yamaha WR 250.

Now if I could just add a track bike to the garage I would be in Nirvana.

488.jpg

If there was a Husky dealership within 100-150 miles of me I would have gotten one. I lust after the 330... get a Husky over a KLR if you can.
I'm going to the dealership this afternoon to take a look. If I buy a new bike, my wife is gonna kill me, but having the balls to ride the ride is half the battle...Right?

So how'd you make out today, Hot Rod? I did a lotta research, and when I stopped by the dealer for a looksee, I couldn't resist the $1k off for an 09, especially since the '10 models were not significantly different (for the 310; the 250 is all new, and the 450/520/610 have completely different forks).

I suspect I'd have a tough time saying no to a 630 if I was in your shoes.

One point: if you are not a dirt rider, don't expect the 310-510 to do any lengthy highway miles. They don't much like doing over 50 without a sprocket upgrade, and really are intended for dirt and trails. The 630, on the other hand, looks like it might be the ticket....and not horribly heavy either.

One point: if you are not a dirt rider, don't expect the 310-510 to do any lengthy highway miles. They don't much like doing over 50 without a sprocket upgrade, and really are intended for dirt and trails. The 630, on the other hand, looks like it might be the ticket....and not horribly heavy either.
+1 on that. We went to the KTM dealership to bring Andy's new (to him) baby home. Two up on the FJR made for a pleasantly comfortable 15 mile ride there. I thought the ride back was even more comfortable (since I now had the front seat of the FJR). He said the ride home was the equivalent of a 700 mile ride. He was tired and sore. Granted, it was a long ride since we hit a lot of traffic, but beware the lack of comfort if you're not used to a dirt bike.

So how'd you make out today, Hot Rod? I did a lotta research, and when I stopped by the dealer for a looksee, I couldn't resist the $1k off for an 09, especially since the '10 models were not significantly different (for the 310; the 250 is all new, and the 450/520/610 have completely different forks).
I suspect I'd have a tough time saying no to a 630 if I was in your shoes.

I have this dang thing called work that got in the way. I'm gonna go for sure later this afternoon. They don't have any of the 630s, which is what I'm interested in, but they are supposed to get one soon. I'm just wondering what kind of accessories are available for them. Honestly, I haven't really looked, but if I'm gonna do any type of distance on it at all, I'll probably at least want bags. I have been told by a few that they are a real step above the KLRs and DR650s, but we all know how opinions are...

Even if I buy a 630, eventually I'll get a 250 or something for strictly dirt. I really want to get my oldest on a dirt bike to get her started, and if she is riding on dirt, I need to be able to ride with her to make sure she is safe...Right? That's what I'm gonna tell my wife anyway...Either way, I am no MX hero, so I don't have to have the high speediest of the available bikes out there. I'll probably just look for decent performance and a really good deal.

No you are not nuts= but soon will be poorer in cash- but richer in fun.

Go out and buy yourself a bike you can have fun in the dirt with- I got a KLR a couple years ago just for this purpose and am loving it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

4522432750_26b64cdfce_o.jpg

So I went to look at the Huskys yesterday. There were no 630s as he had already told me, but they are gonna call me for a test ride when they come in. Either this next week or the week after. $8999... :eek: but a helluva bike. These bikes will basically be turn-key purchaces. The only upgrade I will need will be a bash plate and some luggage. The KLRs are around half the price, but after all the money and work just to do all the upgrades, the extra is worth it in my book...

Sooooo...We're gonna pay off the FJR in a couple of monts and then pay off our one credit card. Soon as that is done, I will buy one of these. Should be within a year. Dammit, I hate waiting.

Sorry...Back to your regularly scheduled thread.