Ohio cop busted doing 150mph on motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the part about rock critic made it clear I was kidding, but, having the worst job in the country is not saying anything bad about them?
Rock critic, eh? Sounds like quite the lifestyle!

I like rocks.

RockPicture.jpg

Also, don't forget that those in the private sector also depend on others for their checks as well. If you work for a private jewelry maker, but no one buys your jewlery, there will be no paycheck. So, if you work for anyone in any capacity, your paycheck is paid by those in the private sector. Interesting concept huh?
Uhhh, but I'm not buying the jewelry unless I want to, my *CHOICE* .....paying gov't employees isn't a choice, the iron-boot of the man comes a knockin' every april 15th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, cops are just people. They make mistakes just like everyone else. They are usually held more accountable for their actions be it driving are anything else by their superiors. Especially if you're a rookie. The thing is news in Ohio is not the same as say news in California. Might be less going on there in Ohio. Otherwise, most times this type of news wouldn't even make it to the tube.

ZX-14's, FJR's, you know how it is, just a little twist and next thing you know you're doin 85 plus and sometimes you just can't help yourself and next thing you know you're doing 150. But the 150 thing should be well planned out to take place on a track or some remote road with no other vehicles around. Know what I mean? Just be safe doing it. (Of note: 28 year veteran CHP friend says, "30 miles per hour over the speed limit in Ca. is considered reckless driving and over 100 miles per hour is automatic vehicle impoundment and a trip to the graybar hotel.") And the fines in Ca. are waaay more than Ohio. Just failing to stop at a sign is almost $300. PM. <>< ;)

Rolavine, so let me get this straight:
You can't say anything bad about cops, but it's OK to generalize and berate all judges and lawyers as being scum?

(before anyone asks, I'm none of the above)

Don't take it personally, Rolly. I'm just pointing out that there are good and bad peeps in every profession.

[edit] and I'm with the old&slow guy. Anyone that has a Playboy model for a wife has no right to complain about anything!!
I thought the part about rock critic made it clear I was kidding, but, having the worst job in the country is not saying anything bad about them?

Also, I have special permission to pick on the legal profession, both my brothers and one of my sons are lawyers, with another son in process, so this is nothing more than telling Polish Jokes if you're Polish.

Yes, exactly!! You made my point, apparently much better than I did. ;)

They should both be booted off their respective forces, and Thomas should have to pay back everything he's gotten since going on "disability."
Jackasses.

$150.00 and 6 months suspension? Seems pretty lenient.
Are you guys always this dickish or is it just when you talk about law enforcement. Six months suspension without pay for a speeding ticket? Yeah that seems leniant? Or not.

I have been law enforcement for 9 years and i can tell you first hand that if anything law enforcement gets treated FAR WORSE in traffic matters than "John Q public". Get a dui as an officer and you are in the newspaper, possibly lose your job. Get a dui as John Q and you do a little community service and potentially nothing else.

And did dude really just say they should both lose their jobs? Really? For speeding? What if they have families? Kids? Oh i guess they should have thought of that before they twisted the throttle a little, your right. **** their families and respective careers, they were speeding, fire them.

Cops are people too and make mistakes. There are far worse mistakes to make than speeding. The guy claiming disability definately deserves to be looked at, but without knowing his circumstances your really just talking out of your ass there too.

I am with you here dangerdog. It says they received the maximum penalty of 150 bucks. Maybe they werent charged with racing because it would sure be hard to testify to what you actually observed from several hundred feet up in a plane. Its a little different then observations made from street level. To me, it sounds like they hit them pretty hard. How many people on here (except professional drivers ie:Fed ex UPS etc.)would have internal investigations done on them for speeding? I think leniant is when your a professional football player, who is DUI and kills a pedestrian, gets 30 days in jail, probation, and a civil settlement. I live in south florida and I see and hear bikes doing well over 100mph on a very regular basis, only time it makes the news, is when they smack the back end of a dump truck.

And we have an update...

From This News Article.

GAHANNA, Ohio — A police officer who was ticketed for riding his motorcycle nearly 150 mph along Interstate 70 was terminated from his job Monday.

Off-duty Gahanna police Officer Christopher Thomas was clocked at 149 mph in Licking County on June 28. He pleaded guilty earlier this month and had his license suspended for six months.

He was also ordered to pay a $150 fine.

In a letter sent to Thomas on Monday, Gahanna's Director of Public Safety, Robert O. E. Keyes, wrote that the officer's actions brought substantial harm to the reputation of the city and department.

"Operating a motorcycle at 149 mph on an Interstate highway on a Sunday afternoon shows complete disregard for law and for public safety," Keyes wrote.

Keyes went on to write that "traveling at such an extraordinary speed flouts the laws that a police officer is sworn to enforce."

Thomas' employment with the department was terminated immediately, Keyes wrote.

Thomas was riding his motorcycle alongside off-duty Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper Jason Highsmith, who was clocked traveling 147 mph.

Highsmith, who initially pleaded not guilty to the citation, changed his plea this month and had his license suspended for six months. He was also ordered to pay a $150 fine.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol said that Highsmith's termination was recommended, but the patrol reached an agreement with the union to have him reassigned.

Under the agreement, Highsmith can be terminated if he violates policy within a two-year period.

The Smokey ,,also got a 5 day suspension without pay..

Maybe it will be over now ,,

Now maybe they can plant MJ and get that over with too.... :blink:

I am beginning to wonder if MJ is really dead. How many millions did his estate make by selling tons of albums and memorabilia during that first week? He's probably gonna go live with Elvis.

Licking County Municipal Judge W. David Branstool fined Thomas the maximum $150 and suspended Thomas' driver's license for six months, citing the reckless nature of the crime.

Seems harsh after he "licked" the county judge.

And speaking of that...Branstool??? Isn't that what you get after eating too much high fiber cereal?

Sorry...

Licking County Municipal Judge W. David Branstool fined Thomas the maximum $150 and suspended Thomas' driver's license for six months, citing the reckless nature of the crime.

Seems harsh after he "licked" the county judge.

And speaking of that...Branstool??? Isn't that what you get after eating too much high fiber cereal?

Sorry...

Hey Fellow !! ,,,,, I live in that county...

I understand places ,, like Polk county ,, or Madison county ,,, but Licking county ..?? wonder where they came up with that?

BTW ,, they got another one,,, Yesterday on the news ,, they pulled over a OSHP Smokey going 97 MPH ...

But, I think they should check their radar,,, from the video it appeared the guy was on a Harley.... :rolleyes:

Then they started showing a video and interview with a Pro drag bike rider and comparing the speed and power of a

Pro Drag bike on the drag strip with the street bikes that are out there.. :angry2:

They keep it up and the "do gooders" will be out there trying to save us from our self and our

super fast , super powered , killing machines. :angry: :glare: :angry2:

Hey Fellow !! ,,,,, I live in that county...

I understand places ,, like Polk county ,, or Madison county ,,, but Licking county ..?? wonder where they came up with that?

Easy, old&slow,

I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. After all, I did apologize...see last line of my post: "sorry"...

By-the-way, check my "Ride Report Post" today, your cousin was on one of the cruisers.

bigjimbiker from "Poke" County...named after President Poke (no, not Clinton) :yahoo:

But to cover your buddy and then turn around and ticket the guy that pays your paycheck is hypocritical.

You dont pay anyones paycheck. You dont sign anyones check, you dont pass out anyones check, you just pay your taxes like everyone else including every law enforcement officer in the land.
:angry:

You sir have now went into to being full of shit catigory. YOu are a public servant so you do work for him.

You guys need to get a life. Arguing about this on the Internet is ridiculous. :fool:

Go Ducks!