Ohio cop busted doing 150mph on motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK fess up!

Gahanna officer clocked at 149 mph pleads guilty

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:07 AM

By Josh Jarman

The Columbus Dispatch

A Gahanna police officer pleaded guilty this morning to speeding charges after he was ticketed last month for traveling almost 150 miles per hour on a motorcycle.

Gahanna Officer Christopher Thomas, 33, received a speeding ticket eight days after he was caught going 149 mph on I-70 near Buckeye Lake, and then only after the Ohio Highway Patrol made a courtesy call to his department. Trooper Jason E. Highsmith, 35, who was riding his motorcycle near Thomas, received a ticket for going 147 mph four days later.

Licking County Municipal Judge W. David Branstool fined Thomas the maximum $150 and suspended Thomas' driver's license for six months, citing the reckless nature of the crime. Thomas had faced a maximum suspension of three years.

Branstool said he was sure Thomas had seen the consequences of excessive speed first hand in his nine years as a police officer.

"Those experiences are more sobering than anything I can tell you here today," he said.

Before receiving his sentence, Thomas apologized to his family, saying his actions displayed a bad lapse in judgment.

"I know it was an extremely wrong thing to do," he said.

The Ohio Department of Public Safety has requested an investigation into the actions of all three men involved in the June stop, including Trooper Bryan D. Lee, 25, of the Granville post, who wrote the tickets. Footage from Lee's cruiser shows him recognizing Highsmith and turning off the sound halfway through the official recording.

Highsmith pleaded not guilty last month. He has a trial pending.

Brian Hoyt, Gahanna spokesman, said the guilty plea does not automatically trigger any action from the city, but will be factored into an ongoing internal investigation into possible disciplinary proceedings. He said he was unsure what the driving suspension would mean to the officer's work duties, adding that Thomas is still on injury leave.

Thomas has been on paid leave since a December on-the-job accident.

The Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensations is investigating whether Thomas' injuries were bad enough to justify a half-year of medical benefits. Spokeswoman Michelle Gatchel said today that she could not comment on the status of the investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - that suck-hole is on 'disability' but out riding at 149. What a dick.

According to This Article, "Thomas, 33, and Jason E. Highsmith, a member of the patrol's Motorcycle Unit, were riding 2008 Kawasaki motorcycles when they were spotted and timed by a patrol plane monitoring potential speeders thousands of feet above Interstate 70, according to the citation and patrol officer Lt. Shawn Davis."

The Highway Revenuer has pleaded not-guilty and will go to trial.

They should both be booted off their respective forces, and Thomas should have to pay back everything he's gotten since going on "disability."

Jackasses.

There are a lot of disabilities which might prevent a LEO from doing his job but would still allow him to ride a motorcycle.

They were on ZX14's I think........the other guy is going for a jury trial next week (he's a OSP)

The guy who is off on workman's comp, fell on the ice last winter

$150.00 and 6 months suspension? Seems pretty lenient. I wonder if they were on government owned bikes? Both were ZX14s? I wonder what sentence John Q. Public would have gotten? Quite sure it would have been worse...

I dunno....

Two officers showing blatant disregard for the law, public safety and their own safety (since this wasn't a race track but public roadways).

Were they racing? That would elevate the citation but it would be the discretion of the arresting officer. If it were you and I we would likely have had our bikes impounded for reckless driving (double the speed limit in CA).

A patrol officer with a suspended license would put an undue strain on the others who would need to work his shifts while he was on administrative duty.

They should both be booted off their respective forces........
Jackasses.
Yep.

Sorry, Charlie.......you CHOSE to perform this act.

Since everyone seems to think this was such a reckless act (and we don't know anything about the road where they were, traffic conditions, etc.) what do you all suggest is the maximum speed bikers should go? The speed limit? If so, then why would you own an FJR?

Obviously everyone is just taking this stance b/c they were cops. At least they probably don't have the mentality of some traffic cops, that even 5mph over any speed limit is going to kill someone....

Since everyone seems to think this was such a reckless act (and we don't know anything about the road where they were, traffic conditions, etc.) what do you all suggest is the maximum speed bikers should go? The speed limit? If so, then why would you own an FJR?
Obviously everyone is just taking this stance b/c they were cops. At least they probably don't have the mentality of some traffic cops, that even 5mph over any speed limit is going to kill someone....
Welllll.......no!

I'm taking my stance because of the special treatment they are receiving because they're policemen who are normally charged with enforcing the very laws they exceeded. Most of us, if pursued and caught by any police officer would not have waited for days before being given a citation for more than doubling the speed limit. Most of us would have been arrested and our bikes impounded. I find it highly unlikely that the ticketing officer would have turned off the sound on his dash mounted camera while discussing my "adventure in speed".

I believe I've always responded the same to other posts about riders "highly" exceeding posted limits, regardless of their employer. Speed doesn't necessarily kill, high speed in an uncontrolled environment (public roadways vs. a race track) elevates the possibility of an accident so, IMHO it WAS reckless. And enrages the citizenry against all motorcyclists which is probably why the arresting officers were using an airplane to catch speeders on that stretch of roadway.

I have always been honest about the speeds at which I ride (commuting at 75 mph, for example). This last week I was passed by a motor officer while commuting in the Sacramento area at, you guessed it, "that" speed.

There are a lot of disabilities which might prevent a LEO from doing his job but would still allow him to ride a motorcycle.
None of them very manly or honorable, but I'm sure such disabilities exist.

There's a guy down the street from us who is out on disability.

I watched him take off his back brace to change the tire on his car the other day.

:rolleyes:

I'm taking my stance because of the special treatment they are receiving because they're policemen who are normally charged with enforcing the very laws they exceeded. Most of us, if pursued and caught by any police officer would not have waited for days before being given a citation for more than doubling the speed limit. Most of us would have been arrested and our bikes impounded. I find it highly unlikely that the ticketing officer would have turned off the sound on his dash mounted camera while discussing my "adventure in speed".
Yes--that point is well taken. They should not get special treatment from fellow cops for sure.

They should both be booted off their respective forces, and Thomas should have to pay back everything he's gotten since going on "disability."
Jackasses.

$150.00 and 6 months suspension? Seems pretty lenient.
Are you guys always this dickish or is it just when you talk about law enforcement. Six months suspension without pay for a speeding ticket? Yeah that seems leniant? Or not.

I have been law enforcement for 9 years and i can tell you first hand that if anything law enforcement gets treated FAR WORSE in traffic matters than "John Q public". Get a dui as an officer and you are in the newspaper, possibly lose your job. Get a dui as John Q and you do a little community service and potentially nothing else.

And did dude really just say they should both lose their jobs? Really? For speeding? What if they have families? Kids? Oh i guess they should have thought of that before they twisted the throttle a little, your right. **** their families and respective careers, they were speeding, fire them.

Cops are people too and make mistakes. There are far worse mistakes to make than speeding. The guy claiming disability definately deserves to be looked at, but without knowing his circumstances your really just talking out of your ass there too.

I'm fairly sure the Ohio State Patrol runs Harley's ,,,, Gahanna runs BMW's ,, I think..

So, the Kaw.'s aren't their duty bikes...

I-70 where they were pulled over,,, is straight ,, fairly flat ,, and 4 or 6 lane freeway,, ( depends exactly where they were)

My son-in-law is a cop ,,,,, his wallet is also his badge holder ,, so his driver's license is next to his

badge ,,,, and IF he gets pulled over ,, he doesn't flash his badge ,, but it's there,,,

And were they racing ,,, or just going really fast ?? I never race , but I have twisted the throttle a time or two..

I twisted the throttle one time ,, took it up to 100+ ,, decided I better back off ,,, got it back to about 75 (55 zone),,

popped up over a hill and passed a Smokey going the other way ,,,, He wanted to flip on me ,, I know , because of the look I got,,

but for some reason he didn't ,,,,, If he had seen me a 100+ it would have probably been a different story..

Of course none of the rest of your guys have probably ever done that ,,,, :rolleyes:

And if you had a badge ,, you wouldn't keep it next to your drivers license either,,

Six months suspension without pay for a speeding ticket? Yeah that seems leniant?
The six month suspension was his license, not his job. He doesn't work for the judge, and the judge can't suspend him from the force. Although it said disciplinary action might still take place from his city.

Last edited by a moderator: