Ohio cop busted doing 150mph on motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are not many jobs out there where you would lose your job for driving stupidly in your free time. The punishment should not be more sever for cops. You take your punishment like any other person. If you want to play then be prepared to pay. We pulled over two guys playing around on the bikes in town, 80 in a 45. One of them was a cop and guess what he got, yep a ticket. IMHO you only hear about the cases where there was some question about favorable treatment. Does it happen sure it does DUH. I got a ticket for reckless driving for a power wheelie on my Hayabusa (front wheel came up maybe 8 inches), I went to driving school to keep it off my record, like anyone else can do. (Sold the Busa cause I like going fast too much) You never hear about the hundreds of civilian bikers I sent on their way with a verbal warning in the media do you? This is another exaggerated problem. Media hype as usual, but they got their ticket so be happy the system is working. It is going to be pretty hard to be a cop with a suspended license by the way...

My 2 cents or 3...

There are not many jobs out there where you would lose your job for driving stupidly in your free time.
I beg to differ. There are a number of jobs where you are required to drive a company vehicle, or driving is some integral part of the job (just like a motor officer) where losing your license makes you incapable of performing your duties. In many of those cases loss of license is accompanied by a mandatory unpaid vacation if not termination.

I work one of those jobs and some of my co-workers have received that treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I twisted the throttle one time ,, took it up to 100+ ,,
'

you should be fired from your job. :rolleyes:

I'm Retired ,,,,, :clapping:

Actually I never really twisted the throttle ,,, I just made that up :rolleyes:

and I'm sure none of the rest of these guy ever did anything like that either ,,, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know the Gahanna Chief ,,, a really nice guy but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him...

And the Smokey's just don't have much of a sense of humor ,,, So I kind of feel sorry for those boys ,,,

sure bet their tail is in a crack right now.... :blink:

If you've never ever done 100+ or twice the posted speed limit on your FJR, then either you are lying or you really ought to sell it. We have all done it, some of us more often than others. It is just bad timing that a plane was overhead tracking them at the particular instant they decided to put the hammer down.

You would think we were on a Cruiser Bike forum for all the criticsm these guys are receiving. Cut em' some slack I say.

It is going to be pretty hard to be a cop with a suspended license by the way...
My 2 cents or 3...
Not really :rolleyes:

cop_bike.jpg

There are not many jobs out there where you would lose your job for driving stupidly in your free time.
I beg to differ. There are a number of jobs where you are required to drive a company vehicle, or driving is some integral part of the job (just like a motor officer) where losing your license makes you incapable of performing your duties. In many of those cases loss of license is accompanied by a mandatory unpaid vacation if not termination.

I work one of those jobs and some of my co-workers have received that treatment.
Yep....my company, also, including management! Get a DUI or Reckless Driving, you learn Spanish: "Adios!"

AND, reckless driving is determined by the safety department, not the ticketing or arresting officer deciding not to write it, so excessive speed, i.e., double the posted speed limit would be considered reckless.

I went to driving school to keep it off my record, like anyone else can do.
Wellll....no....ANYONE else cannot do that. I remember Toecutter posting that he can't do so because his job (Fresno Firefighter) requires he drive a rather large company vehicle that requires a Class A license, which exempts him from that option.

BTW, for both Jeff O and dangerdog, there are a number of law enforcement officer on this forum, my last count was 32. We don't hate cops and if you are of that opinion you are very wrong. We do not like the attitude some officers have that they are exempt from or undeserving of the same treatment we, the ordinary non-uniformed populace receive. Your very reactions to the posts assuming everyone "has it in" simply proves and enforces our subconscious theory about some policemen's attitude toward civilians and their own position as "special" when it comes to the law being enforced on one of their "brothers". For instance, how would a 25 year old gas station attendant have been treated by the ticketing officer?

This particular subject has been discussed many times on the forum and hopefully one of the other officers here will calm you down in your approach to the rest of us low-life, bottom-feeding, scum-sucking civilian biker trash. :eek:

During WFO-8, several of us were running towards Rattlesnake Canyon. I decided to pull ahead of a couple of bikes riding together. They were going at a pretty good clip. My GPS says I passed them at a top speed of 112mph.

On a ZX-14, 150mph seems like nothing. I've easily reached 166mph (for about 1 second) and still had 6th gear to go.

It's a weird sensation... comparing the two bikes at high speed. The FJR has to work at it and it feels like I'm going faster than I am. The ZX-14 is so smooth that the triple digits sort of sneak up on you. I routinely catch myself sneaking up to 120+mph.... I gotta knock that shit out!

Maybe the problem has nothing to do with who got caught, but a law that is obsolete and poor driver training in this country. Modern technology has made vehicles safer at speed. European drivers don't seem to have the issues we have in our country. The interstate system was designed for safe, high speed travel when cars had drum brakes and bias belted tires. I, for one, like to get where I'm going without wasting time on the road. It's the other people on the road that worry me. Under the right conditions, cruising at 100mph + is safe (or as safe as can be expected, short of living in a bunker). Unfortunately, many on the highway have no common sense or adequate driving skills. So the law caters to the lowest common denominator. If your crossing Kansas, on a dry day with good visibility and light traffic, you should be able to pick your speed. If you're blowing through a busy school zone, you should be taken out and shot. It's really about good judgment and responsibility. Something sorely lacking in our society today.

I work in Nuclear Power. DUI, speeding tickets, parking tickets all count. The idea being if you are willing to drive drunk, to excessively speed, then you are prone to not follow the 'rules'. And at nookie plants, they don't want 'cowboys' so you are out, plain and simple. It's all about behavioral patterns.

I apply even higher standards for Law Enforcement Officers.

At the very least, be smart enough to not get caught, after all, you know all the tricks of the trades, just sayin'.

OK, I'll back off a bit and say this - at least be willing to pay a more severe price than Joe Motorist. You ARE the law. You REPRESENT the law. If you **** up then you should pay 1.5 the price, at least. If you're willing to lie by breaking your code, what else will you lie / tweak the law abou?

It goes with the territory. If it were me, I'd be jailed, bike impounded, and out of a career, no doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to speed, and have ridden with many a LEO (some from this board) who are not afraid to twist the throttle. But they understand and accept the consequences for the 'risk' they take. This too, I understand.

Wow, I thought I was calm and saying cops should be treated the same as everyone else.

Dont think anyone is hating on cops, pointing out the media issues.

It is difficult to pick up on how someone feels by reading their posting...

Of course rules vary form state to state and from job to job.

You could not pay me enough money to move back to CA, dont care how good the weather is.

I'm out, should have just kept my mouth shut as usual!

I work in Nuclear Power. DUI, speeding tickets, parking tickets all count. The idea being if you are willing to drive drunk, to excessively speed, then you are prone to not follow the 'rules'. And at nookie plants, they don't want 'cowboys' so you are out, plain and simple. It's all about behavioral patterns.

WOW! I've never seen a nookie plant :dribble:

But seriously, if everyone who has explored triple digits on public roads was kicked off this board it would be a very lonely place.

The trick is to pick the time and place.

If you're still alive and have an operator's license I guess you are doing okay at this.

As far as riding a motorcycle while on disability, this seems like a non issue to me.

I assume I am not the only one who has ridden at times with injuries or illnesses which would prevent one from doing a days work at his normal occupation.

I have found on occasion that a motorcycle with a forward lean on to the bars is more comfortable on a strained back than driving my work vehicle.

If you've never ever done 100+ or twice the posted speed limit on your FJR, then either you are lying or you really ought to sell it. We have all done it, some of us more often than others. It is just bad timing that a plane was overhead tracking them at the particular instant they decided to put the hammer down.
You would think we were on a Cruiser Bike forum for all the criticsm these guys are receiving. Cut em' some slack I say.

DITTO ,,,,

It was STILL on the News today in central Ohio...

I figure since the news is on hours and hours a day ,,, they NEED something to fill up all the time,,,

SO ,, we are STILL hearing about the speeding cops ,,,,

Talk about beating a dead horse,,,, Making mountains out of mole hills ,,, etc...

There's no conspiracy going on ,,, no state wide cover up ,,,,

They got caught doing something stupid... write them a ticket and move on ...

Speaking of beating dead horses ,,, what's the latest news on MJ ,,,, <_< :dribble: :blink:

BTW, for both Jeff O and dangerdog, there are a number of law enforcement officer on this forum, my last count was 32. We don't hate cops and if you are of that opinion you are very wrong.
Didnt mean to imply the whole board has it in for anyone, in fact i never said that at all. I quoted two posts and asked them if they were always this dickish or was this only when they talk about law enforcement. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Your very reactions to the posts assuming everyone "has it in" simply proves and enforces our subconscious theory about some policemen's attitude toward civilians and their own position as "special" when it comes to the law being enforced on one of their "brothers".
What does this mean? My "reaction"? I had no reaction. In fact im not a cop either. Im a Corrections Officer, Prison Guard, whatever you want to say. I am not some chest thumping moron though, i dont glorify cops for doing thier chosen professions, anymore than i pat myself on the back for choosing to do mine. Its just a job. I was merely trying to make a point that Cops get treated worse in many traffic matters, or legal matters than the rest of the populace. Unless you are extremely unlucky, most people have been let go numerous times for traffic matters. State Troopers are usually less leniant, but generally all of us get a break at some point in life, either let go with a verbal warning, a seat belt ticket ignored, or maybe a coworker saves you the humiliation of going to jail and being put in the paper by issuing you a citation and then reporting it later, knowing full well hes bringing heat on himself.

This particular subject has been discussed many times on the forum and hopefully one of the other officers here will calm you down in your approach to the rest of us low-life, bottom-feeding, scum-sucking civilian biker trash. :eek:
I dont think like this at all and im suprised you would assume i do from one slightly angry post. I apologize if it seemed that serious. B) I was only pointing out the folly of calling for a man to lose his job over something so petty, when there are far slimier officers out there doing far worse things.

ps... Also, your talking to a guy that rode from Jacksonville Fl to Sturgis with the clothes on his back on a vtx and slept in a sleeping bag next to his bike every night after polishing off most of the alcohol available in South Dakota. I am not some cookie cutter snob, im a very polite guy i assure you. I carry the mantle of North Florida / South Georgia tattooed trailer trash by birthright.

/ long post.

It's not the speeding ticket that ticks me off...it's the HYPOCRISY.I don't think you L.E.O.'S get it.

Have I hit a 100+ on the FJR? Yes.Have I given someone else a ticket for the same thing?No.

If it wasn't for the communications between the helicopter and the arresting officer being monitered by civilians they never would have been ticketed in the first place.Cops cover cops all the time...nothing new here.But to cover your buddy and then turn around and ticket the guy that pays your paycheck is hypocritical.That is why so many people have little respect for L.e.o.'s,not that speeding ticket.It's the don't do as I do,do as I say attitude...and it's not just about speeding.

As a retired L.E.O. posted on a local board about this matter...If you don't want the responsibility 24/7.don't take the job.

Now THAT'S an officer I respect!

They should be fired

I love this place! What a forum!

Interesting talk etc. I never thought this would go where it has.

BTW - Nookie plant is where Todd and Lisa give each other nookies, correct?

Think kids, SNL.... Lisa, Gilda Radner; Todd, Bill Murray....

Speaking of beating dead horses ,,, what's the latest news on MJ ,,,, <_< :dribble: :blink:

Still dead when last checked. But we know he's really with Elvis helping to find the real killers for O.J.

I'm a bit confused about the cops covering cops aspect of this, seems to me that if that is the case they are pretty stupid about it. If it was me and I knew my buddy was going to cma then I would call ahead: "Hey, I'm going to be haulin' ass down highway such and such, here is the plate number of the bike I will be on, here is my badge number. Don't pull me over".

Could be they face some of the same decisions and risks we all do.