Ohlins vs Wilbers shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
I spoke with a local bike suspension shop today, who had experience with both products and they have seen some new Wilbers show up new with bad springs and then had some difficulty getting the spring replaced. They much prefer the Ohlins, (also more expensive, I think).

They also say that just replacing the front fork springs is not enough of a fix to make much difference to the suspension. They say that the FJR needs to have some valve dampening rework ( I think this how he described it) to really make a difference and then you get a remarkable improvement to the ride and braking and handling.

Does anyone have experience with these matters and would care to comment before I go spend some kids college money on this stuff?

Thanks!

The only thing that I can really tell you is that I have both the springs and the shock. The bike is much improved over stock. I think if you are a really aggressive rider, then you may benefit from some of the work the shop is recommending. However, if you just like to corner carve on the weekends then the Wilbers stuff should suit you just fine. I like mine a lot. Hope that helps.

Rick

Doing a super quick comparo I see Wilbers rear shock in the $440 in the bottom end....which is light years ahead of the stock shock. Add hydraulic preload (like I did) and you're up to $615. The super deluxe shock is $935 compared to Ohlin in what looks like the $1000 range. Price is no object and they might be comparable.

I think a few Wilbers showed up with incorrect springs, but think many of those were folks that didn't enter information correctly and undersized themselves. Regardless Klaus took care of them very well.

The front fork springs for the Wilbers are less than $100.

I don't know how much revalving and the work with Ohlins would be, but I think I've heard it's a few hundred bucks or more. That's probably apples and oranges though.

For $550 you can have group buy price and HUGE improvements over stock with Wilber rear shock and front springs. For probably about $1500 you can have the cat's ass in Ohlins with 1/10th of the whole bike price in shocks and be ready to race. You make the choice.

* Individual experience and perspective varies.

And do note the Wilbers Group Buy ends in two (2) days... so make your move soon, if you're inclined to save bike bucks...... B)