Oil Change Jitters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwindelzorf

Reaction score
Well, I purchased a used '05 a few months ago, and was told at the time that I had about 1500 miles till the next service interval. Seeing as I had a free afternoon, I decided to get on it a bit early and decided to do a TBS and an oil change this afternoon. So, I lifted the tank, and did the TBS. Put it all back together and went for a spin around the block just to make sure everything was fine. So far, so good. Next, the oil change. Got out all my gear, set the drain pan and pulled to drain plug. I let it drain while digging out a spare crush washer. Swapped filters, put the plug back in with the new crush washer (flat side to oil pan), and filled er' up. Just over 4 quarts as specified. The level in the window is just past the middle when on the center stand.

Here's where things get unpleasant. After I got it all cleaned and closed up, I started the bike. It started, but the tachometer did not move. "That's bad..." I thought to myself. "Maybe it's just stuck..." So, I revved the throttle a couple of times. The tachometer jumped straight from 0 to 2k rpms. "That's odd...." I tried it a couple more times, and the third time it was smooth. About then, I started to smell something odd, so fearing the worst I hit the kill switch. The smell was faintly that of something "hot", as in overheating. Reminiscent of hot break pads, or burned electronics.

Now, I know this bike has a wet clutch, so it's possible that since I let it drain, the clutch plates are dry until the new oil gets in there. Could that cause such a smell? But, since this is my first oil change on the FJR, I don't know what's normal and what should worry me.

So, have I done something terrible to my bike? Or am I just being an overly nervous idiot?

I'd go back under the tank and make sure you didn't pull a signal wire loose and make sure nothing is touching the motor where it shouldn't be.

I'd go back under the tank and make sure you didn't pull a signal wire loose and make sure nothing is touching the motor where it shouldn't be.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll take a peek under there tomorrow morning and see if I didn't mess something up. I think its all fine, as I didn't have any of this wierdness when I went for my quick jaunt after doing the throttle body sync, but I will check nonetheless. It's possible that I shifted something and it just took it a while to start misbehaving.

Well, I purchased a used '05 a few months ago, and was told at the time that I had about 1500 miles till the next service interval. Seeing as I had a free afternoon, I decided to get on it a bit early and decided to do a TBS and an oil change this afternoon. So, I lifted the tank, and did the TBS. Put it all back together and went for a spin around the block just to make sure everything was fine. So far, so good. Next, the oil change. Got out all my gear, set the drain pan and pulled to drain plug. I let it drain while digging out a spare crush washer. Swapped filters, put the plug back in with the new crush washer (flat side to oil pan), and filled er' up. Just over 4 quarts as specified. The level in the window is just past the middle when on the center stand.
Here's where things get unpleasant. After I got it all cleaned and closed up, I started the bike. It started, but the tachometer did not move. "That's bad..." I thought to myself. "Maybe it's just stuck..." So, I revved the throttle a couple of times. The tachometer jumped straight from 0 to 2k rpms. "That's odd...." I tried it a couple more times, and the third time it was smooth. About then, I started to smell something odd, so fearing the worst I hit the kill switch. The smell was faintly that of something "hot", as in overheating. Reminiscent of hot break pads, or burned electronics.

Now, I know this bike has a wet clutch, so it's possible that since I let it drain, the clutch plates are dry until the new oil gets in there. Could that cause such a smell? But, since this is my first oil change on the FJR, I don't know what's normal and what should worry me.

So, have I done something terrible to my bike? Or am I just being an overly nervous idiot?
Could the smell have been a little oil on the pipes? Hard to not get any on there...

Can't imagine how an oil change could result in a wierd tach. I vote under the tank also. Smell could be oil on a header or it could be burning insulation. If its oil on a header, you should be able to spot a little smoke as well.

I agree with everyone else here. The tach would be electronic having nothing to do with with an oil change. I am pretty picky with oil changes also but it is pretty easy to get oil on the pipes. The part I hate, which is true with all oil changes, is the first few moments after initial start up waiting for oil pressure to build up. I always try to minimize this by putting as much oil in the new filter as possible but unless it mounts vertically you can't get much in it. An electrical burning smell is usually insulation on wires, indicating a short. Check everything under the tank closely, make sure no naked connections making contact. Check fuses, if nothing shorted, I bet you'll be OK. Good luck.

Well, lifted the tank and dug around a bit. Looks like every thing's fine under there. Put it all back together and started it up, and there was no strange smell. So I'm guessing it was just a bit of insulation touching something hot, and when I jostled things around lifting and reseting the tank, it was no longer touching. I ran the bike for about 10 mins and everything seems to be in order. Looks like I was being unnecessarily cautious.

Thanks for all the quick support.

I think you're connecting two unrelated events.

I've seen some glitches in the tach and speedo on my 06 over the months. Rarely, the tach and/or speed won't do its dance when the ignition is turned on. Sometimes, I only get a half dance. Sometimes, I get a dance with a little jiggy in it. Once or twice, my tach hasn't worked at all for a few seconds after start up. No biggie; it's jiggy.

The smell, having read the rest of the thread, seems to have been transient. Most bad smells are.

Now, I know this bike has a wet clutch, so it's possible that since I let it drain, the clutch plates are dry until the new oil gets in there. Could that cause such a smell?
Some old oil will remain between the clutch plates. If the clutch plates were burning, you wouldn't be able to detect an odor since they are enclosed. Don't sweat it.

Well, a further update seems to be in order. It would appear that Ari is correct and these two events are unrelated (the oil change and the various oddities). I rode to work this morning, and on the way, the tach stopped working. A few miles down the road, it began working again. When I arrived at work, the previously mentioned odd smell was again present. On the way home, it behaved just fine, with no hint of weird smells.

And as for the nature of the smell, I have found a better description for it. It is like the smell a heater produces when first started up for the cold season as it burns off the accumulated dust. Its not burning oil. I had a jeep that went through oil prodigiously, so I think I'd recognize that smell. Similarly, its not hot electronics. I worked as a lab TA in a circuits lab during college and became quite familiar with that particular scent.

The bike is functioning normally otherwise. So, at this point, my assumption is that during the throttle body synchronization, I jostled a little chunk of insulation down into some little crevice where it is getting hot and making this strange odor, and at the same time I managed to loosen one of the wires associated with the tachometer. So I guess I will be running down a wiring diagram for the bike and trying to find out what I may have loosened.

Anyone else have a possible explanation?

My 06 would fail to sweep on ignition power up and the tach would not read, even after 1/2 hour. All these problems disappeared when the inst cluster was replaced for the 17 mpg max reading problems. Maybe the same for you, but most likely not. Just another data point, and good luck.

I dont' want to be an alarmist but a hot something smell coupled with an obvious electrical glitch sounds a little dangerous to me. A wire being shorted to ground somewhere will produce the smell (not necessarily the same as your lab experience since the smell depends on the insulation material) AND the tach problem. I wouldn't let it ride if it was me. YMMV.

Re: Smell

Is it possible that you are smelling the excess moisture being burned from the exhaust system? A number of owners have "chased" this odor, a combination of burnt leaves and???? If the bike were warmed then allowed to cool, there would be some condensation built up in the muffler. Once the engine was restarted and came up to operating temps the condensation would be exhausted as steam and it DOES stink. Next time you experience this symptom, pull over ans see if it is coming from the exhaust.

Another followup.

After the ride to/from work mentioned in my last post, I have done a little more testing. I havn't yet had time to properly trace the problem, but have discovered a few new facts. I have tried starting the bike a couple of more times, and have noticed a trend. If it has been sitting overnight, then when starting, the tach does not sweep, and it behaves strangely. As the engine revs, the tach stays at 0, then jumps to about 500rpms when the engine sounds to be at something like 2500. The tach continues to track after that, but it is as if the input has been divided by about four. I haven't characterized exactly what relation the input and output have. If it has been started, shut off and let sit for a few minutes, none of this occurs, and the bike starts and runs normally. Additionally, the previously described mystery smell is only present when the tach is misbehaving.

So, at this point there are two symptoms, that seem to correlate strongly: tach weirdness and a funny smell. Either one could cause the other, or they could be caused by some other unknown. I suppose its time to try to find a wiring diagram and start pulling body panels. As I'm rather fond of this bike, and would prefer not to let the magic smoke out of it (well, no too much at any rate), I'll try to pull it all apart again this evening and see what I can find out.

Oh, and Warchild, I did as your excellent page suggested when preforming the oil change, so I am relatively sure that it is not a case of oil on the pipes.

Thanks for all the input.

I have a service manual and one thing is clear. There is no direct connection between the engine or any sensor on the engine and the tachometer so the signal to drive it is coming from the ECU which appears to get engine speed data from a crankshaft position sensor. There are three harnesses attached to the "meter assembly" and all three also attach to the ECU. That's not much help but you could try unplugging each one and see if the bike will start and, if it will, does the tach stop working. At least that would get you onto the right bundle. The ECU is under your seat, but deep.

There is a diagnostic mode available to look for faults but the codes are greek without the manual.

I expect that the tach needle is driven by an analog voltage output from the ECU so if the wire is touching a ground somewhere it could easily create the behavior you're seeing. The degree would depend on how good the ground connection is so it would vary as the connection to ground varied. Its also possible, though, that the meter itself is failing. After all, its a mechanical device in the end and could be binding. My SV's speedo, also electrically driven, would hang up sometimes and I found that taking it out of the housing and moving the needle around manually would get it to work again. Not a happy prosptect with the dash mounted instruments on the feejer.

Good luck with your search.