Oil Change Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7317 IIRC
Wasn't there some controversy about these filters a while back? Something to do with the actual manufacturer changed - for the better or worse I don't remember...

I still have 5 or so Yammy filters left from a $25 coupon Yamaha sent me, and from a friend that won a $25 coupon while at a big "extravaganza" at a Yam/Honda/Suz dealer a few weeks back (where the controversial $6999 AE was). After that, I'll be either WM or Purolator most likely.

I have been using the Honda 20W-50 and it has been working fine. It is what the dealer recommended.
20w-50 is good, I found that out yesterday. As I posted two days ago that I can't find a dealer that sell yamalube 20w-40 for my 06 fjr is because yamaha recommend yamalube 20w-50 now. On there website it says that if your manual says use 20w-40 use 20w-50 insted. So I assume there is no more yamalube 20w-40. So I will do that this weekend see if my rough shifting and cruising goes away. Have a safe ride guys.

Now that you mention all of that, I recall more details from the dusty nether regions of my crappy ol' brain. Upon the eve of my first oil change, I too searched in vain for Yamalube 20w-40. I finally called Yammy tech department. They told me to use 20w-50. That is how I ended up using the Honda 20w-50. Have had no issues with it, but it is more expensive than what Mike (Patriot Rider) uses. He goes to Walmart and buys the gallon jug of Rotella, I cannot recall the weight. Mike???? I will probably start doing that too (if my brain can remember.....)

Have had no issues with it, but it is more expensive than what Mike (Patriot Rider) uses. He goes to Walmart and buys the gallon jug of Rotella, I cannot recall the weight. Mike???? I will probably start doing that too (if my brain can remember.....)
I'm not Mike, but I also shop at Walmart for my Shell Rotella 15w-40 conventional motor oil for about $11 per gallon. For twice the price, you can splurge on the Rotella synthetic 5W-40.

Like most dry-sump engines, determining the exact oil level can be difficult. That's why I've been measuring the oil in Yamaha engines for years.

...with a warm engine...

remove filler cap,

drain,

remove crush washer,

remove filter,

replace filter,

replace drain plug with new crush washer,

1-gallon oil(or four 1-qt. bottles),

plus...,

another 230 ml oil (roughly one cup),

replace filler cap,

start engine and make sure oil indicator goes off,

allow engine to warm to two(2) bars then shut off,

get a fresh cup of refreshing beverage,

Do you see oil in the sight glass?

YES - Go do something else.

NO - Worry a lot and do it all again.
Amen

Have had no issues with it, but it is more expensive than what Mike (Patriot Rider) uses. He goes to Walmart and buys the gallon jug of Rotella, I cannot recall the weight. Mike???? I will probably start doing that too (if my brain can remember.....)
I'm not Mike, but I also shop at Walmart for my Shell Rotella 15w-40 conventional motor oil for about $11 per gallon. For twice the price, you can splurge on the Rotella synthetic 5W-40.
took a nap...am awake now

been using the Rotella synthetic 5w-40 for years...now use the baby shit colored Purolator filters which have gone on sale at Advantage Auto

they also have good advertised deals on 5 quarts Castrol (synthetic or high mileage) oil with P1 filters occassionally...

Saturday AM, I go to the Honda/Yammy dealer
Yup, worst time EVER to be near a bike shop. I don't even bother, because I know there's a line at the parts counter out the door. You ask for a tire then, you're lucky if it's round AND black AND rubber all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: