Oil changes are easy....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greb

Reaction score
Didn't enjoy ripping the entire bike apart to just change the coolant, but it got my mind off some things that were buggin me. It'll go alot faster next time now that I've figured out how to remove the front cowl. It went back together faster than it took to take apart which doesn't happen that often.

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Coolant can be changed with removal of something like ten(10) screws and three(3) plastic fasteners max. At least now you know how to disassemble it, but coolant change requires removal of only one panel and the left side fairing. Sorry Dude!

Coolant can be changed with removal of something like ten(10) screws and three(3) plastic fasteners max. At least now you know how to disassemble it, but coolant change requires removal of only one panel and the left side fairing. Sorry Dude!

+1 No need to remove cowling. Only reason to remove left fairing panel is to empty overflow reservoir. Its a tight fit , but radiator cap can be removed with only the one panel next to glove compartment taken off.

But if you have to remove the cowling, here's a how-to.

As for one fairing panel, us Gen-I guys work on the right side, where the overflow tank really belongs! :D

Detailed here, but Gen-II guys will have to adapt, and remember where they are. Lotta walking around to get to both sides for all that!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good timing on a Friday, let the dog pile begin, lol

I followed the service manual to the letter and it said to remove the front cowl so I did, but I did look at the cap and noticed it could be removed by pulling back on the fairing.

It worked out in the end because I put some dialectric greaase on the spiders by the headlights and the one under the cowl and I easily disconnected the auto-retract with the cowl off.

Like some have said now I know how it's done, lol.

Wonder why the service manual instructs you to remove the cowl if you can get this done without removing it? Thanks for all the after action tips

Well at least it went back together :D

Off Topic: What year is your Ninja? Your garage looks just like mine. A fast black 08 FJR and a 07 Red Ninja.

Sequoia027.jpg

The Ninja is an '08, and my wife loves it. I actually like riding it too

Good timing on a Friday, let the dog pile begin, lol

I followed the service manual to the letter and it said to remove the front cowl so I did, but I did look at the cap and noticed it could be removed by pulling back on the fairing.

Wonder why the service manual instructs you to remove the cowl if you can get this done without removing it? Thanks for all the after action tips
I have heard more than once that the FJR SM is notorious for that shit. One of these days it's gonna get me too. Glad you got it all back together with no spare parts!