Oil filter substitute

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRider

Reaction score
I'm looking for a substitute for the yamaha oil filter part # 5JW-13440-00 . This is for a gen I 2005 FJR. Any other good substitutes ?

Thanks

Have you read BOTH "Bin-O'Facts" pages under the FAQ secton? The filters are named by brand with corresponding part numbers listed.

Edit (took me 3 minutes): Link to NewGen Bin-O-Facts, about 1/2 way down the page.

Oil Filter Info:O.E.M. Oil cartridge filter: Denso 115010-5980, (Yamaha equiv. P/N 5JW-13440-00)

Size: Believed to be 20mm X 1.4mm threads 2.3" O.D. Gasket, 2.5" length

Other recommended 2.5" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14612 (about $6, actually a car filter)

Mobil-1 M1-108 (about $12, actually a car filter)

Bosch 3300 (about $6, actually a car filter)

Fram PH7317 (from Renegade)

Other recommended 3.25" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14610

Mobil-1 M1-110

Bosch 3323

Walmart SuperTech ST7317

Per ponyfool, although the Purolator number cross-references to Napa Gold 1365 (mfg: Wix), the gasket and the threads are nearly level with one another, thus when screwed on as far as it would go, the gasket never touched the engine, it stayed out about 1/16".

Oil Filter Article Clicky
You could also try the Google method. Go to Google, type in oil filter site:fjrforum.com (or click on the link I made of it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Several, use the search and you will find a list of a dozen or so; should be in the NEPRT section

Last edited by a moderator:
Or buy yamaha filters for $7.42 here no tax. yamahasportsplaza.com No affiliation. Buy a dozen to save on shipping. Or if interested in saving bucks and the walmart supertechs don't have any bad reviews, that's what I use on my cars (and oil). I'll read the reviews also but thought I would add in the oem choice.

I'm about to be flamed, but why not use Yamaha filters?

I mean the engineers design it to mesh with the oil passages, pump flow capacity,

all the good things that keep oil flowing in enough volume...

3 yrs ago I went down the same thought path and concluded that my analysis of alternatives

would be way inferior to Yamaha engineers' and to save $4 twice a yr wasn't worth it.

I'm about to be flamed, but why not use Yamaha filters?
If you'd follow the link to the "Bin-O-Facts" thread, there is a link to a discussion about oil filters. Unless you were attempting to begin a discussion.

Or try this link: oil filter site:fjrforum.com, which will give you or anyone really interested all the information one could want.

[SIZE=8pt]Personally, I use the OEM. For the price difference when buying at the discount price from the source noted above, it works for me. OTH, many use various filters witout a problem. Its a personal choice.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the link to "Bin-O'Facts". I had never browsed in that section before. :dribble:

Also didn't think that I could of "googled my search".

Thanks to all.

It turns out that my FJR uses the same size of filter that my Honda Fit uses. I can get the PURE ONE Purolator just down the street. Pure ONE is one of the top rated oil filters and is convenient for me to get. The Yamaha dealer that I'll buy from is on the other side of town. I've never bought into the belief that OEM oil filters are the best or are the only ones that should be used on any car or motorcycle. Haven't been bit in the ass yet.

Haven't been bit in the ass yet.
Somethings wrong with your eye though. :rolleyes:

Gentlemen, that's not what this thread is about. Northrider was seeking information about actual part numbers, so his decision has been made. If you want to reawaken the debate, please find one of the threads I linked to and, after reading it so you have a basis in fact to add to that discussion, resurrect that thread. That way we won't be rehashing arguments that have been made on the forum for 3+ years.