Oil Pressure Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCMoonUnit

Reaction score
Today for the first time ever, the red oil light came on. I had just left work for lunch and was driving down the interstate when the oil pressure light came on for about 15 seconds or so. I was preparing to pull over and stop when it went out. So I kept on going to the nearest gas station and stopped to check the oil level (it has never needed any before). This is an 06 with about 34K on it, regularly serviced at D&H Cycles. I put it on the centerstand and the oil level was right in the middle of the two marks. So I added a little oil anyway and brought it up to just under the high mark. It didn't come on again during my 1/2 hour commute home so I'm hoping there's no real problem there.

But could this be a sign of a real problem? A sensor going bad? Or ground-spider problems? Or something else? What do you guys think? Any recommendations? I'm antsy about ignoring a red oil light...

Thanks,

Well you are in luck sort of..... that light is not oil pressure but an oil level light.

The sensor is so-so at the best of times... Shut the motor off. wait a little bit and on level ground check the oil level and make sure it is between the marks.

Mine has come on only twice since I have own it. If I have come to a stop shut the motor off wait a bit check the level and then restart it has always gone out.

First of all, it isn't a pressure sensor. It is an oil level sensor.

If the oil was between the 2 marks and you hadn't let the bike sit for 15 minutes before resding it then you had lots of oil, so perhaps you have an issue with the sensor or the wiring/connector.

It is not a typical 'spider' symptom, though all bets are off when dealing with the possibility that any ground connection at all could go bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick answers!!

I didn't realize it was a level sensor. I was just surprised as I've never had it come on before and I was worried that a major problem was in the works.

I did wait about 5 minutes before adding the little extra oil as I realized it would still be draining and settling, so I don't think I added too much.

But thanks for the advice - I'll keep an eye on it and I won't stress out over it.

I didn't realize it was a level sensor. I was just surprised as I've never had it come on before and I was worried that a major problem was in the works.
That's one of the reasons we have the New Owners Read This section, #20...written just for you...and strongly suggested to read it when you signed up. There's a bunch of other things out there too. ;)

Were you parked on the side stand, on a hill where the bike was tilted over even more than usual?

Today for the first time ever, the red oil light came on. Any recommendations? I'm antsy about ignoring a red oil light...Thanks,
Well you are in luck sort of.....Mine has come on only twice since I have own it. If I have come to a stop shut the motor off wait a bit check the level and then restart it has always gone out.
Do you have Owner's Manuals? (it's covered in there...)

The motor oil has to flow, by gravity, back down the sump and many things can affect that: temperature (and, related, oil viscosity), oil level, RPM, (and maybe a couple others?).

Yamahas have been doing this for, Oh, about 30 years... :eek: :rolleyes:

You're welcome.

That's one of the reasons we have the New Owners Read This section, #20...written just for you...and strongly suggested to read it when you signed up. There's a bunch of other things out there too. ;)

Read and memorize them all!

There will be a test.

Have had the oil level light come on 4 times in the last 3 seasons. Same place everytime, about the same ambient temperature, same distance from house, from a cold start. Shut bike off, turn back on and no further issue. Never any actual problem with the oil, just a phantom light.

I believe it to be paranormal activity as I pass through a notorious intersection.

Have had the oil level light come on 4 times in the last 3 seasons. Same place everytime, about the same ambient temperature, same distance from house, from a cold start. Shut bike off, turn back on and no further issue. Never any actual problem with the oil, just a phantom light.
It's not necessary to shut-off the engine -- just keep riding -- when enough oil falls back down to the sump, the oil-level switch's float will make the electrical contacts and the light will go out.

I believe it to be paranormal activity as I pass through a notorious intersection.
I think it's, merely, science... :unsure:

Yamaha are well known for the oil level switch coming on with middle oil level in the glass window. You must keep the oil level at the top of the glass.

[rig

Andy

Like the others and plus Matt's link to the bin of facts it is oil level. My second FJR has had the light come on a few times. Like you the first time I pulled over and wondered what the heck. Now I just keep riding. I know I have oil and the motor is solidly engineered in my humble opinion.

I have the same thing happen to my '96 Toyota pickup and I had the oil pressure measured and it is fine. I just ignore that one to when I know there is oil.

Might be dumb but that is how I see it on the FJR. Just get on the darned thing and ride. Don't overthink this oil stuff.

I have the same thing happen to my '96 Toyota pickup and I had the oil pressure measured and it is fine. I just ignore that one to when I know there is oil.
Toyota has, actually, had some oil pressure problems (and recalls...).

I asked my friend, when he called and told me his wife blew-up the engine in the Avalon, "Was the red oil-light on?" He hollers, "Honey, was the red oil-light on?" "She says -- YES."

The FJR's light system is completely different than Toyota's -- oil-level v/s oil-pressure.

Glad to have found this thread. I've had the light come on a handful of times. It stays on for a couple minutes, always been from a cold start. One time I did add a little oil because it looked to me like it was at the lower end of the acceptable range.

So my questions are:

1) If it does as I said, has come on for a couple minutes maybe 2 times in the past year, should I just ignore it?

2) Is it possible that I overfilled it when I added a little? On my GS, excess oil would go into the airbox. Should I check somewhere on the FJR?

I would say no worries. It's a level light and sometimes it will come on. Mine has done it for almost ten years. A little overfull shouldn't hurt a thing but if you Really overfill it then drain some off. The crankcase does vent to the airbox but it is high on the back of the transmission and I'm sure has some baffles in it to prevent liquid from passing through. Thyere is an airbox drain if you are concerned.

Screw that. The oil pressure light on my bike has never come on, except for startup, right after an oil change. If I know my oil level is good and the light is coming on, it's going to the dealer. No matter what a bunch of guys on the internet say.

It's not a pressure light. It's an oil level indicator light. If the oil is okay after having checked it a few times AND others have had this happen, I'd say it's worth keeping the money in my pocket. Free country and all, you spend yours how you wish! :)

It's not a pressure light. It's an oil level indicator light. If the oil is okay after having checked it a few times AND others have had this happen, I'd say it's worth keeping the money in my pocket. Free country and all, you spend yours how you wish! :)
You tell him girl!

He's an odd ****. Likes to drop other peeps' FJRs too! :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator: