Ok I'll start... anyone riding for the long weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for letting us tag along! It's a great route, even with the unpaved sections, We have the official ride on the calendar.

Paul & Gina

Hey!!

Thanks to all of the CB route testers today. Things went exceedingly well. I'm now confident that the 2011 Covered Bridges ride route will go off with nary a hitch!! Now all we need is some help from the weather and foliage gods.

The good news for those not in today's select test group, is that only one bridge was closed (apparently freshly by Irene <_< ) out of the 13 total planned bridges on the route. Some of the bridges that were inaccessible prior years are now open, and some of the roads are actually in better shape than they were a year ago.

We be ready!! :yahoo:
Family wedding in Ottawa?.....CB Ride?.......family wedding in Ottawa?.....CB Ride? .......

Damn :blink:

It was definitely a good time. Thanks Fred for a great route in this covered bridge tour and thanks IonBeam for showing some great roads to Hancock.

The interesting parts (I'm sure I missed a few) included:

Turns out Fiddleheads in an actual restaurant and not a figure of speech :)

Road closed sign at a fork (hm... which road is closed)

Hm... where's the next bathroom stop (oh, there's a river)

Unpaved roads with interesting uphill and downhill grades (new experience for me on any bike)

Hm... I think them there was some genuine Hill-Billys along one of the unpaved roads

And, whoa is that a downed tree with power lines on the road? incident where we had to backup the bikes on a slight uphill

Either way, we had some great winding roads (and almost no traffic in front of us). The weather was very nice. We had several stops for bathroom breaks, hydration, snacking, and just plain shooting the breeze, and several photo ops.

It was fun meeting up with you'all. This was probably the most interesting trip I've had on a bike.

Thanks all.

Dennis

Interesting coincidence...

The spot where that goober felled the tree onto the power lines is the same road (Black Brook Rd) and within a few hundred yards of, where I had a close encounter of the plastic shattering kind with a young bambi, two years ago also in September. :huh:

I should probably stay off that road in the future... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean some moron dropped that tree--right across the road and into the power lines?! Let me guess... He was still out there with his chain saw trying to clear it despite the fact that all those wires were tangled up in it.

We were at the back of the line and all we could see was a tree across the road and wires all over the ground. We thought it was just some belated storm damage. Luckily we were far enough back that we weren't faced with having to do a multi-point turn to avoid crossing over all the power lines covering half of the road.

Well at least he'd put down the chain saw in favor of the cell phone. And hopefully his wasn't one of those neighborhoods that had just had power restored after Irene...

Funny thing was that it was clear that he was trying to cut the felled tree up even after having taken down the lines.

:rolleyes:

As we came upon the scene, I saw the tree and the lumberjack first and said something like: WTF? and then realized we were riding across downed lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing was that it was clear that he was trying to cut the felled tree up even after having taken down the lines.

As we came upon the scene, I saw the tree and the lumberjack first and said something like: WTF? and then realized we were riding across downed lines.
As mentioned way back in post #45 there are pictures of the scene.

As we approached the wires I did note that the wires were cleanly ripped off the transformer and there were no spitz'n spark'ns from the downed wires.

I didn't realize it was his fault; I thought it was just a weak tree fell.

Anyway, one more thing, I only realized at the end of the day that you have (I think) HID lights right?

What kit did you go with? I was thinking HID bi-xenon. Any pointers on install? there're a few instructions that keep coming up with pics, etc. but they look quite involved. I just want to replace OEM bulbs with HIDs (no aux lights).

Thanks,

Dennis

Anyway, one more thing, I only realized at the end of the day that you have (I think) HID lights right?

What kit did you go with? I was thinking HID bi-xenon. Any pointers on install? there're a few instructions that keep coming up with pics, etc. but they look quite involved. I just want to replace OEM bulbs with HIDs (no aux lights).
Yes, they are a telescopic bi-xenon kit I bought off of eBay several years ago. I don't believe that the seller I bought them from is even doing business on eBay anymore, so that isn't much help.

Here's https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30636my reports from when I was doing the install and testing (the first time). That post should give you something to put you right to sleep! ;)

Yes, they are a telescopic bi-xenon kit I bought off of eBay several years ago. I don't believe that the seller I bought them from is even doing business on eBay anymore, so that isn't much help.

Here's https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30636my reports from when I was doing the install and testing (the first time). That post should give you something to put you right to sleep! ;)
Excellent; I shall look at it.

Thanks much.

Dennis