Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say AZ but your sig says Nevada. Where are you? Taking off in a straight line should be noooo problem on a gen II bike.

<snip>My problem remains with the on-off-on throttle abruptness, particularly in 2nd gear in the curves.
I admit to having never ridden an AE and I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes -- but, what I'm reading here looks like: improper cornering technique.

Paraphrasing MSF: at least steady throttle; or, ideally, light throttle roll-on throughout the curve. Decelerating in a curve un-settles the suspension (among other things) causing instability -- and, maybe, bad "AE-ness"?

Improper cornering technique can sure make a bike seem bad.

Judgement before the curve and following the prescribed technique (MSF and others) makes it good.
It's the "roll-on throughout the curve" where the abruptness comes in. Hopefully somewhere before the curve you have slowed, which typically requires decreasing the throttle and sometimes braking, then hold what you got into the curve, the accelerate out of the curve. When the throttle is turned, there is no response within a zone that normally produces response, then, SURPRISE!, acceleration. The delay is consistent so you can certainly get used to it and still perform well, but it is maddening that you lose the normal smooth throttle response. It's not a technique issue, at least for me. This is the only bike which I've ridden that I've experienced this particular issue.
Good description of how my 07 acts in a curve. It is much more noticeable after riding the R1, which is like butta. I am going to have a PCIII programmed for my bike by HFD1 Motorsports to see if I can smooth the FJR out some.

Just face it, you're going to have to do the throttle mod. It really smooths out the throttle and makes the bike much more predictable. Install the G2 throttle sleeve and unwound the spring one time for a much more fun bike.
I've seen lots of suggestions to unwind the throttle spring one turn to get smoother control. Is this easily done? I havent been able to find how to do it on the Forum. Can anybody direct me to a link on how to do it.?

Wow, this is certainly an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

I thought (initially, after a brief read) it was an "AE" thing -- i just re-read all the posts in the thread and it appears to be a "GenII thing" (even '08). It seems evenly divided between As and AEs. Also, there are a lot of "what problem?, mine's fine". And several: "Buy aftermarket accessories to fix it."

So, if it's not 'rider error', and (certainly) those who've expressed their experience level would know if the throttle cable has too much slack? And some respondents have 'fit' Gen II FJRs without the problem being displayed..... Then, it follows, that those with the problem must have faulty FJRs and need to get them to a shop and have them made right. And..., under warranty (I'd assume?).

Wow, this is certainly an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.I thought (initially, after a brief read) it was an "AE" thing -- i just re-read all the posts in the thread and it appears to be a "GenII thing" (even '08). It seems evenly divided between As and AEs. Also, there are a lot of "what problem?, mine's fine". And several: "Buy aftermarket accessories to fix it."

So, if it's not 'rider error', and (certainly) those who've expressed their experience level would know if the throttle cable has too much slack? And some respondents have 'fit' Gen II FJRs without the problem being displayed..... Then, it follows, that those with the problem must have faulty FJRs and need to get them to a shop and have them made right. And..., under warranty (I'd assume?).
If you'll notice, it's not even just ONE "thing". There are several different symptoms all being lumped into "throttle abruptness" or "smoothness". Usually the AE rider has to master the automatic engagement of the clutch (no "friction zone" to play with) which they'll describe as throttle abruptness or not being smooth on both starts and also through the gear changes. In my case, it was solved with experience on the bike, not by any mods. However, removing throttle "free play", G2 tube mod, grip puppies, and unwinding the spring may make the transition easier (with perhaps some other benefits, like eliminating hand cramps).

The other issue, which seems not to be AE specific but more Gen II related, is the abruptness on throttle changes with the clutch fully engaged, as I described in my earlier post (rolling on coming out of a curve or anytime the throttle is rolled off a certain extent and rolled back on at speed). I'll have to try some of the suggestions specific to this one problem because that is the one complaint I have with my bike.

I got an 08 and when I ride and accelerate correctly I have never noticed any jerkey reactions. I do have a clutch lever though.

..........I dont know that I can agree with this as far as the FJR is concerned. I've been riding for 30 years. Have had 8 bikes in that time and have never, ever had any issue with the abrupt throttle off to throttle on response exibited in the Feejer. I've done all the recomended mods short of the PCIII and combined they tame it a little but its not gone and its not rider short commings. There is somthing poorly designed about the bike and thats a fact. I can jump on any of my friends bikes that I have no time on and have smooth throttle transitions within a turn or 2. I have over 8k miles on the Feejer and its still a huge issue. There isnt a single person of all my experienced friends that havnt commented on it after taken it for a ride. They just think its because its an AE and they need to get used to it. I used to think the same but know better now.
I completely agree with your comments, and to add to it - I used to roadrace bikes. Yamaha has issues that they have improved some, but need to do more.

See this thread I wrote a while back...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...amp;hl=throttle

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 08 with a little more than 4k miles. When I give the throttle a short blip it usually will stumble before it revs. Once I get the RPM's up its fine. I am thinking it might need to have the throttle bodies sync since I haven't done that yet. If that don't fix it then I might take it to the dealer.

I used to ride a FZ6 and FJR is real easy shifting compared to that one. I used to just about always give the passenger whiplash with the FZ6 not matter how had I tried not to. As a matter of fact one of the guys in the forum was making a modified clutch lever to try and smooth it out some. :drinks:

I must be incredibly lucky, also. My '08 A, although it only today passed 500 miles, has demonstrated neither the "head shake" nor the "throttle abruptness" mentioned here. Hopefully, I will only become happier and happier with my new bike.

The reason Mama Yama put three springs on the throttle was at the scum bag lawyers insistance. With lawsuits over everything (esp. motorcycles) it is no wonder they put on "too strong of a spring". I undid mine before putting gas in the tank and have not had a throttle problem. All the other ideas help, but the "too strong" throttle spring(s) is the main culprit.

Find out how to release one spring --- no problem

A technique that has helped me is to slide my right hand to the very edge of the handlebar and have the little finger of my right hand grip the stationary bar end that's outboard of the throttle. Don't change the grip position of that little finger during corners and slow roll on's, just let the rest of your hand and fingers twist the throttle the small amount that's needed in those situations. It's provided stability for my hand and that's helped better control the throttle. Your mileage may vary... :)

A technique that has helped me is to slide my right hand to the very edge of the handlebar and have the little finger of my right hand grip the stationary bar end that's outboard of the throttle. Don't change the grip position of that little finger during corners and slow roll on's, just let the rest of your hand and fingers twist the throttle the small amount that's needed in those situations. It's provided stability for my hand and that's helped better control the throttle. Your mileage may vary... :)
AZ,

That's exactly what I do.

It's the "roll-on throughout the curve" where the abruptness comes in. Hopefully somewhere before the curve you have slowed, which typically requires decreasing the throttle and sometimes braking, then hold what you got into the curve, the accelerate out of the curve. When the throttle is turned, there is no response within a zone that normally produces response, then, SURPRISE!, acceleration. The delay is consistent so you can certainly get used to it and still perform well, but it is maddening that you lose the normal smooth throttle response. It's not a technique issue, at least for me. This is the only bike which I've ridden that I've experienced this particular issue.
That's exactly my experience. I had over 150,000 miles on various motorcycles before buying my FJR and never had a problem like with the FJR. I did the spring unwind, G2, grip puppies and reduced throttle cable freeplay adjustment. These mods helped a lot, but that lurch is still there for me every morning on a particular 1st gear downhill tight corner. A PC3 would probably fix the problem, but I choose to live with the minor problem for now.

That's exactly my experience. I had over 150,000 miles on various motorcycles before buying my FJR and never had a problem like with the FJR. I did the spring unwind, G2, grip puppies and reduced throttle cable freeplay adjustment. These mods helped a lot, but that lurch is still there for me every morning on a particular 1st gear downhill tight corner. A PC3 would probably fix the problem, but I choose to live with the minor problem for now.
It's certainly your call (obviously), but I can tell you that the PC was the best money I've ever spent on a mod for any of my vehicles. It did lower my gas mileage by about 10%, but even that was a small price to pay for the way the bike runs now.

Okay, I'm thinking of buying a PC3. So, not wanting to **** it up all by myself, what are my options? Take it to my dealer and let him program it? What are the chances the dealer keeps one in the shop? (Hmmm, I thinks to myself. I will ask Johnny at the service dept. first thing tomorrow. Brillliant I am! Must be this large rum and Pepsi I'm drinking.)

I took a 2000 mile trip through Utah. At the end of the trip my wrist was killing me. I guess I have gotten used to the jerking low speed riding. The throttle was so tight my Throttlemeister wouldn't hold the throttle open. After returning from the trip I had the center spring on the throttle released. It has made the throttle less tight and thus makes the slow speed riding easier, not to mention the pain free wrist and now the Throttlemeister works. It cost me about 2 hours of dealer time to do this modification. For me it has been worth it.

Brain Surgeon

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to bash the FJR, since it is a fine motorcycle in many respects .. but .. there is a problem with the throttle. Comming from a 5th gen VFR (also known for having a sensitive throttle), the FJR is much worse. I've released a spring (now I can ride more than an hour without cramping), added grip puppies (reduced vibration), and the G2 tube and eliminated throttle play (reduced the throttle transition lurch), but it is still lurchy. I compensate by being in a higher gear and accel entering a corner when I'm getting sporty, but low-rpm lazy cornering still has me cringing in anticipation of the "roll on and lurch" chassis upset. After a while I get used it, then I jump on the VFR, the SV650, or the old KZ1100 and I'm reminded, once again, that the Yammy has that lurch (and a clunky transmission).

It's still the best bike in the garage for bad weather and cross-country trips .. but for local rides into Wisconsin it tends to stay parked.

I hate to bash the FJR, since it is a fine motorcycle in many respects .. but .. there is a problem with the throttle. Comming from a 5th gen VFR (also known for having a sensitive throttle), the FJR is much worse. I've released a spring (now I can ride more than an hour without cramping), added grip puppies (reduced vibration), and the G2 tube and eliminated throttle play (reduced the throttle transition lurch), but it is still lurchy. I compensate by being in a higher gear and accel entering a corner when I'm getting sporty, but low-rpm lazy cornering still has me cringing in anticipation of the "roll on and lurch" chassis upset. After a while I get used it, then I jump on the VFR, the SV650, or the old KZ1100 and I'm reminded, once again, that the Yammy has that lurch (and a clunky transmission).
It's still the best bike in the garage for bad weather and cross-country trips .. but for local rides into Wisconsin it tends to stay parked.
At the risk of repeating myself. get a PowerCommander. Yes, it made that much of a difference for me.