OMG! Got my FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6uldv8

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread duplicating what so many others have said but my FJR arrived this weekend (Thanks Chris and Brian!) and I couldn't be happier!

I haven't been on a bike in 25 years and that was a dirt bike! I was extremely nervous about the FJR and if I'd be able to even ride the thing. I should have saved myself the worry! The bike is a dream! I never imagined how easy and smooth it would be. I've got a ton of practicing,learning, and experience to get under my belt before I can even begin to carry on a bike conversation but I can already tell you this "newbie" is thrilled!

Welcome back to riding!Since you are in Alabama may I suggest if there is an advanced track day offered at Barber with one of the schools I would take it.I did here in Texas with my bike at Cresson.You will be amazed at how well this machine works.The only down side I have found with mine is how much you can spend farkling it to death!

Congrats!!!!!

1. Take a safety course.

2. go slow and ease into the bike over a period of time.

3. the things that make the FJR so awesome are also the same things that can get you in serious life threatening trouble in a big hurry.

4. enjoy your new best friend!

My wife has family in Rainbow City. They have a family reunion there on the lake every 4th of July.

Nice place.

Be careful and safe.

Welcome to FjrWorld.

Listen close her siren song.

Ride too fast you won't last long.

Ride with care mi amigo, you're in the most dangerous period of ownership.

Sorry to start a new thread duplicating what so many others have said but my FJR arrived this weekend (Thanks Chris and Brian!) and I couldn't be happier!
I haven't been on a bike in 25 years and that was a dirt bike! I was extremely nervous about the FJR and if I'd be able to even ride the thing. I should have saved myself the worry! The bike is a dream! I never imagined how easy and smooth it would be. I've got a ton of practicing,learning, and experience to get under my belt before I can even begin to carry on a bike conversation but I can already tell you this "newbie" is thrilled!
Congrats. I too had not riden in some 20 plus years and my last bike was a 1965 HD Sportster, 900cc. There is no comparison, what so ever. About 4years ago, my wife (herfjr) said to me that we must get a couple of FJR's (yes she rides her own) and it's been a scream ever since. We have traveled to places that I would have never thought about. We now have close to 60,000 miles on our 2005's. You will definately enjoy this bike. Good luck and have fun.

Jim

Hey Congrats on your new bike. Please get the frame sliders 1st. Don't ask me why please. :yahoo: Just take her easy especially in parking lots and keep her straight up or she may want to take a quick nap. :yahoo:

Hey Congrats on your new bike. Please get the frame sliders 1st. Don't ask me why please. :yahoo: Just take her easy especially in parking lots and keep her straight up or she may want to take a quick nap. :yahoo:
Riding an fjr on the pavement, is completely the opposite of riding in the dirt. On the fjr you are supposed to keep the shiney side up, and the rubber side down. :glare:

best,

I've got a ton of practicing,learning, and experience to get under my belt before I can even begin to carry on a bike conversation but I can already tell you this "newbie" is thrilled!
Congrats!

I feel the same way. But at least we have a leg up on some others who don't know, they don't know crap. But we know, we don't know. :wacko:

Welcome to the world of the Feej. Ride down to Texas to say hi sometime!!!

---=hellcreep

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions on the training courses and I'm already looking into those. This forum has been a wealth of info as I've been reading it for the past two weeks since I bought the bike. Bike was in Iowa so I had time to learn a ton before it got delivered to Bama. I can certainly tell I need a lot of practice on the lowspeed turns and such and I plan to avoid major traffic and city streets till I feel alot more comfy with it. I sound like a kid at Christmas but I'm just tickled with my first impressions and how smooth it reacts to everything I've done so far. I can also tell with throttle response that it has much more to offer than I need to play with anytime soon! lol

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions on the training courses and I'm already looking into those. This forum has been a wealth of info as I've been reading it for the past two weeks since I bought the bike. Bike was in Iowa so I had time to learn a ton before it got delivered to Bama. I can certainly tell I need a lot of practice on the lowspeed turns and such and I plan to avoid major traffic and city streets till I feel alot more comfy with it. I sound like a kid at Christmas but I'm just tickled with my first impressions and how smooth it reacts to everything I've done so far. I can also tell with throttle response that it has much more to offer than I need to play with anytime soon! lol
Ditto the Welcome and advice to take a safety course. I went 25 years in a cage then back to riding. Found out quickly how rusty I was especially at slow speed stuff around parking lots, etc. Go easy, watch your back, those side street & parking lot entrances! Amazing how many folks "didn't see you".

Welcome,and enjoy your bike!

You made a good choice,not to ride in town for a while.Statistics show that the odds are not in a riders favor for the first 12 months of riding,and in the first 6 months for each new bike after that.Keep that in the back of your head,and you should be ok............Classes yes.....+ 1

These guys have given you bad advice here! Classes, take it easy, be careful, blah, blah, blah....

Here's some good advice: Stay away from Fencer and Scab on this forum!! Them boyz ain't right!! :dribble:

Welcome to the nuthouse!

JW

+1 on the other posts. I bought mine in Cullman from Jared, and was coming off an old GL1500. In talking to Jared about the break-in period and how to ride the bike during that (lots of posts on that subject alone back in -04), he advised me that I should take it easy while I learned about the bike, that it was not the same bike as the GL. Of course we all know that, but that lesson stuck with me for the next 700 miles on the way home. Good advice.

Take the MSF course, talk to other riders, pratice what you hear, and always always be prepared. The FJR is a better ride than 99% of us are as riders, so she won't let you down, just learn to ride again, and stay within your learning curve. Good luck!!!

welcome aboard. there truly is a bunch of info available. my daughter took a motorcycle safety course and i sat in on the two track days. great course, i would recommend it to anyone that cares about getting home every ride. put 9000 mi on my 03 this summer and finally scared myself today. (back end comes around fast on crosswalk stripes) BEST OF LUCK, GREAT RIDING AND BE SAFE