One FJR Wasn't Enough

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '05 has been a loyal steed. 135,000 hard miles and never stranded me. I even named her "Heart of Gold".

But, she's getting older and with prices of used bikes and just a nagging feeling that I could have one of my rallies cut short because something could go out like an alternator......I bought a new bike. I just returned home from the Seattle area with an '05 with 19,500 miles and name him "Zaphod".
ABS on old and new ???

Yay! Congratulations on the new to you bike! Also glad to see you stuck with the best year Feej ever made!

Hey Matt! That's great! A new bike. Huge Congrats!

ABS on old and new ???
ABS on old, non ABS on new. I wanna try this round with a more precise-feeling front brake. I hope I don't stab them one day and wad myself under a truck that otherwise would have only bounced slightly hard off with ABS. ;)

ABS on old and new ???
ABS on old, non ABS on new. I wanna try this round with a more precise-feeling front brake. I hope I don't stab them one day and wad myself under a truck that otherwise would have only bounced slightly hard off with ABS. ;)
Did you have an extra set of wheels for your abs bike? Cause you know they ain't going to work on the non-abs now.

btw, congrats on the 2nd FJR. You bastard.

Did you have an extra set of wheels for your abs bike? Cause you know they ain't going to work on the non-abs now.
Really? Are you sure?

I thought wheels were physically compatible between all. Excluding the '08+ ABS ring thing, I know a non-ABS wheel will fit in ABS bikes up to '07 and know the ABS wouldn't work, but thought an ABS wheel would still fit on a non ABS bike.

If not, I guess I have one rear wheel assembly I have to consider replacing. I don't have a spare front wheel.

..and I'd need to update the Matrix I've so diligently been compiling over the years. ;)

Don't listen to Scooty.. He and his daddy been drinking a mix of Diet pepsi, Miller lite,Tabasco sauce, and ether alcohol most of the day. He hasn't a clue what a motorcycle is, let alone wheel combos.

I think.

:jester:

Really? Are you sure?

I thought wheels were physically compatible between all. Excluding the '08+ ABS ring thing, I know a non-ABS wheel will fit in ABS bikes up to '07 and know the ABS wouldn't work, but thought an ABS wheel would still fit on a non ABS bike.

If not, I guess I have one rear wheel assembly I have to consider replacing. I don't have a spare front wheel.

..and I'd need to update the Matrix I've so diligently been compiling over the years. ;)
Well, I didn't give the 'whole' story. They are NOT directly compatible, but you can buy a few small parts to make an abs wheel fit a non-abs Gen I. However, you can NOT get a non-abs wheel to fit an abs bike. Or perhaps MAYBE you can, but you will not have abs and that little red abs light will be flashing all the time.

There is a reason I have (had) 4, yes FOUR sets of FJR wheels.

RJ made a very applicable post on the topic many moons ago. Where is that thread..........

Ok, so here's the rest of the story: Clicky for RenoJohn's most excellent topic.

Apparently you just need to buy the $6 seal to run an ABS rear wheel on a non-abs bike. I don't know about the front - perhaps just replace the seal also? Looks like Smitty is the dude to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so here's the rest of the story: Clicky for RenoJohn's most excellent topic.

Apparently you just need to buy the $6 seal to run an ABS rear wheel on a non-abs bike. I don't know about the front - perhaps just replace the seal also? Looks like Smitty is the dude to ask.
Thanks! Looks like I have another little project this winter as part of the larger project to turn Zaphod into a lean, mean rally winning machine.

And I'll update the Matrix when I get done.

I gotta have "The Talk" with Heart of Gold before I consider parking Zaphod in the garage.

I had "the talk". She wasn't happy, but understood.

They're both now jacked up under the header and neither has pushed over the other....yet.

MW117208e.jpg

They are NOT directly compatible, but you can buy a few small parts to make an abs wheel fit a non-abs Gen I.
I looked over the fiche and ordered what I think are the two critical parts from Zanotti last week...when I also picked up some FZ1 mirrors.

My farkle table is growing for the winter project includes:

FZ1 mirrors (with a resh Datel voltmeter install)

Rearrangement and addition of a BLM switchbox and plans to do 4 or 5 relayed and switched configurations (after looking over LDRyder and RenoJohn's beasts)

Some powder coating of things (I'm thinking a gold color I've been using on my Honda will look good with the blue Yamaha)

Revised permanent V1 mounting (and still maintain laser sensitivity)

Revised remote SPOT mounting

Addition of second GPS (478 unit)

Addition of iPhone 4 and integration with audio (might change from Starcom to Autocom)

Iggy, you could reward "Heart" by giving her the first and only bath she's ever had.

Iggy, you could reward "Heart" by giving her the first and only bath she's ever had.
I'm sure that will happen.... right before the CL ad comes out. :D

Congrats on the low mileage find Matt. I'm going to take mine all the way to that sunny spot where I can afford a Tenere or some other big trailie.

Congrats on having dual 05's , you bastard. I'm jealous.

Now having 2 you'll have to ride twice as much in order to give them equal attention.

Congrats on the new bike, but I'm sitting & thinking about the mayhem you could cause with two identical bikes.

Rolling back in after a rally with 100,000 extra miles?

Roll back in with 100,000 LESS miles?

hmmmm... :p

Just out of curiosity, why are FZ1 mirrors such a popular farkle for the bikes?

Thanks.

I looked over the fiche and ordered what I think are the two critical parts from Zanotti last week...when I also picked up some FZ1 mirrors.

My farkle table is growing for the winter project includes:

FZ1 mirrors (with a resh Datel voltmeter install)

Rearrangement and addition of a BLM switchbox and plans to do 4 or 5 relayed and switched configurations (after looking over LDRyder and RenoJohn's beasts)

Some powder coating of things (I'm thinking a gold color I've been using on my Honda will look good with the blue Yamaha)

Revised permanent V1 mounting (and still maintain laser sensitivity)

Revised remote SPOT mounting

Addition of second GPS (478 unit)

Addition of iPhone 4 and integration with audio (might change from Starcom to Autocom)

My '05 has been a loyal steed. 135,000 hard miles and never stranded me. I even named her "Heart of Gold".

[/left][/center]

Congratulations Ignacio! It was reading stories like yours that brought me into the FJR fold.

My Buell Ulysses left me stranded at 11 times in 40,000 miles (4 final drive belt breaks, 3 rear wheel bearing failures, 2 voltage regulator failures, 1 throttle cable break, 1 02 sensor failure that led to plugs that fouled so quickly it wouldn't run). I don't know that I'll ever put on the mileage like you and some of the others in this neighborhood, but you're an inspiration. So is the bike; since my one decently long day - though 700 miles may seem short to you - I can't shake feeling a little cramped by the riding position, but the simple fact that it always brings me home means that I run love to run it. In any event, 16,000 trouble-free miles since I bought mine in March and I look forward to many more. You may be on your third, or maybe fourth, before I wear out this one.

Just out of curiosity, why are FZ1 mirrors such a popular farkle for the bikes?
Bigger riders enjoy not having to squeeze in their elbows to see behind them.
I do NOT want to hijack Ignacio's thread of celebration, but I didn't get an answer the first time I posted this question: What is the out-to-out width of a pair of FZ1 mirrors installed on a Gen 2? I park my bike in an enclosed patio, rolling through a relatively narrow sliding glass door for access. The main attraction of the FZ1 mirrors is the increased width, but too much may be too much for me.

Thanks!