One FJR Wasn't Enough

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the out-to-out width of a pair of FZ1 mirrors installed on a Gen 2? I park my bike in an enclosed patio, rolling through a relatively narrow sliding glass door for access. The main attraction of the FZ1 mirrors is the increased width, but too much may be too much for me.
The FZ-1 mirrors fold in easily, so the doorway thing isn't an issue. Of course, so do your stock mirrors (which I learned after owning an FJR for quite a while). Doesn't make much difference with the stockers; big diff with the others.

Check out this article.

Personally, I don't mind the stock mirrors. My issue has always been the blind spots. Solved that, finally, with some great convex mirrors I found on this board. They make a LOT of difference.

Just out of curiosity, why are FZ1 mirrors such a popular farkle for the bikes?
Bigger riders enjoy not having to squeeze in their elbows to see behind them.
Not just bigger guys, Iggy. Smaller guys like seeing what's behind them too.

Once you ride an FJR with the FZ1 mirrors you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. And you'll instantly lose any inhibitions about how they look like the antennae of a bug. ;)

Man, do I ever agree with this. When I had my 04 I eventually put the FZ1 mirrors on it an loved being able to see behind me. After I wrecked it I bought an 08 and that was my first farkle. I was so spoiled to being able to have a clear view behind me,that I couldn't stand the stock mirrors. This is my favorite farkle out of all I have done to both of my FJRs.

GP

ABS on old and new ???
ABS on old, non ABS on new. I wanna try this round with a more precise-feeling front brake. I hope I don't stab them one day and wad myself under a truck that otherwise would have only bounced slightly hard off with ABS. ;)
I agree...non ABS '04 here...said a little prayer for us both :)

things can get quite hairy and I have been quite close to having a bad day on the commonly wet roads around here :blink:

I thank my early experience racing dirt bikes for making it this far unscathed :huh:

Best

Mike

The FZ-1 mirrors fold in easily, so the doorway thing isn't an issue. Of course, so do your stock mirrors (which I learned after owning an FJR for quite a while). Doesn't make much difference with the stockers; big diff with the others.

Check out this article.
I ride every day, commuting to work on dirty roads; that means my bike is usually covered in sharp grit dragged onto the road from a mile-away rock quarry. On the stock mirrors, at least, the folding action looks and feels less confidence inspiring than other aspects of the bike; I get the sense that if I folded them every day the grit would work into the action and the mirrors would eventually loosen.

Anyway, would someone PLEASE tell me the out-to-out width of a pair of FZ1 mirrors mounted on a Gen 2?

Check out this article.
I ride every day, commuting to work on dirty roads; that means my bike is usually covered in sharp grit dragged onto the road from a mile-away rock quarry. On the stock mirrors, at least, the folding action looks and feels less confidence inspiring than other aspects of the bike; I get the sense that if I folded them every day the grit would work into the action and the mirrors would eventually loosen.
The FZ1 mirrors (just like the stock first gens, and unlike the 2nds) have the mirror's pivot point pretty well covered from the elements and any road grit by a protective heavy rubber boot. You could fold that mirror every day and it would be fine. I fold mine quite often in the crowded garage. You can't beat this for being narrow:

Sharp-5.jpg

Anyway, would someone PLEASE tell me the out-to-out width of a pair of FZ1 mirrors mounted on a Gen 2?
Ahem... it was actually in the link that you quoted above. FZ1 mirrors are 43" wide.

Although this measurement was taken on a 1st gen, the mirror mounting points are in the same location for all intents and purposes.

I'd be very surprised if they were not within a 1/2:" to being the same.

Ahem... it was actually in the link that you quoted above. FZ1 mirrors are 43" wide.

Although this measurement was taken on a 1st gen, the mirror mounting points are in the same location for all intents and purposes.

I'd be very surprised if they were not within a 1/2:" to being the same.
Thanks for posting the number - that saved me the trip out to the parking lot in the rain with tape measure in hand. :dribble:

Once you ride an FJR with the FZ1 mirrors you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. And you'll instantly lose any inhibitions about how they look like the antennae of a bug. ;)
Not so fast my portly friend. I've ridden with FZ-1 mirrors and while I'll highly recommend them to my more errr.....'rotund' riding buddys, for those like me who are svelte and hansom devils, well, the stockers are more than adequate.

Thanks for posting the number - that saved me the trip out to the parking lot in the rain with tape measure in hand. :dribble:
It would porobably be good if someone verified my assertion (for posterity) that the 2nd gens are the same width as 1st with the FZ1 mirrors on them.

Not so fast my portly friend. I've ridden with FZ-1 mirrors and while I'll highly recommend them to my more errr.....'rotund' riding buddys, for those like me who are svelte and hansom devils, well, the stockers are more than adequate.
Hey!! Who you calling portly? :huh:

You can be as svelte as a Biafran on a hunger strike. When it comes to bike mirrors, there's "adequate", and then there's "excellent".

Yeah, the FZ1's are the latter. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't actually have anything to do with girth in my experience...I can see just fine around my sizable gut and ass with the stockers. :rolleyes: I have trouble seeing around my elbows that are draped from my rather wide linebacker-style shoulders. That's why I bought the FZ1 mirrors.

In Skooter's case his arms are more-or-less directly attached to his bulbous puppet head...so I'm sure the stockers would be just fine for him. And those occasions where he's spun-up (like asking him if he has a route figured out)....his arms and elbows rotate completely above the mirror sight line axis. :p

And more from winter time project list:

• I ran the existing Cox radiator guard through the dishwasher a couple times this weekend and found it had done it's job admirably. Three identifiable rock hits including one that broke the metal in one spot. And no fin damage in the corresponding part of the radiator. I'm firmly convinced that radiator guards are a great investment!
  • A Pelican case specifically for my iPhone. Nice in that it includes an audio plug that maintains the water-proofness of the box. I plan to add it to my handlebar setup this Winter.
  • The Darien is back from Aerostich after having some of the worn Velcro replaced and worn spots seam-taped. Also, I had Velro added to the right shoulder...for the addition of a patch I just got. Heh.....I'm such a nerd with what I attached. You'll have to wait till next yarn to see it. ;)
  • I spent a rather obscene amount of money on a few drawers of stainless metric fasteners. Ooohhhhhhh......ahhhhhh.

photo.JPG

It would porobably be good if someone verified my assertion (for posterity) that the 2nd gens are the same width as 1st with the FZ1 mirrors on them.
Good idea. Except it's still raining today and it's also cold and windy! :dribble: But I'll do anything for fellow FJR riders, so off to the parking lot I go with tape measure in hand. And the results are: 44 inches on my 07.

I'm not sure how much a difference it makes how the mirror is adjusted? I have mine set to view as much of adjacent lanes as possible while still barely being able to see what's behind me. This works for me because I commute daily in traffic and like having less of a blind spot when changing lanes. It seems that adjusting the mirrors further inward would lessen the width some, but I didn't test that theory.

Thank you! Yes, it sure was... that "clicky" concept sometimes goes over my head.

I'll do anything for fellow FJR riders, so off to the parking lot I go with tape measure in hand. And the results are: 44 inches on my 07.
Well... the opening on the sliding glass door is 44-1/8" wide when the door is fully open.

There is no way that I can aim the bike that perfectly when backing it in over my little ramps on either side of the threshold. Now I know; if I want to avoid moving my elbows slightly I'll need either:

1. Buy the FZ1 mirrors and spin at least one mirror every day, get rid of a car, or build a bigger garage; or

2. Buy convex stick-on mirrors.

Thanks, Harald!

Well... the opening on the sliding glass door is 44-1/8" wide when the door is fully open.

There is no way that I can aim the bike that perfectly when backing it in over my little ramps on either side of the threshold. Now I know; if I want to avoid moving my elbows slightly I'll need either:

1. Buy the FZ1 mirrors and spin at least one mirror every day, get rid of a car, or build a bigger garage; or

2. Buy convex stick-on mirrors.
The folding option is less complicated than taking off your helmet, so a garage retrofit shouldn't be necessary.

My main complaint about the FJR's mirrors is that they're so far away from your eyes you can see only a tiny little field of view in them. And stick-on mirrors take away part of that. I use these, and they're great.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

There are two parts. The mirror has a socket on a stem, and the "ball" side came with peel-off sticky tape and then is secured with a self-tapping screw. It's very solid and together they give full visibility through a full 180o.

IMG_1161.jpg

Now it's time for a bunch of guys to chime in about how they always turn their heads and never change lanes without looking over their shoulder. Yes, I do that too. Mirrors give extra warning and help you stay current about what's near you and what's approaching you all the time, even when you're not planning a lane change. That can't be a bad thing. I love the extra view these things give me; it's just one of the tools I use to keep safe while riding.

I bought them through a guy here on the forum. Since I don't know if he's still doing it I've sent him a message to ask. No sense having his name out there if he isn't. If I hear he is, I'll add it here.

p.s., I just realized how far off track this thread has gotten from where it started. Sorry for my role in the derailment.

Faced with ice, sleet, snow, fog, sub zero cold, and general early wintery bleakness....more parts ordered as winter has firmly taken hold in the lowlands of Eastern Washington.

Taking a page from RenoJohn's latest FJR and some marvelous looking switch gadgetry helped with by Slapnpop on LDRydr's ride....I ordered a half dozen Hella SPDT relays, a custom BLM switch box delivered, some double-wall heat shrink tubing, and a variety of marine grade toggle switches and boots. I haven't yet figured out how to wire it all together, but have a general plan of sub projects.

Switch 5 will be a SPDT (Mom)-Off-(Mom) for my two garage door openers. No relay required and I already have one door opener on a switch, but I plan to solder into the second circuit. And I bought a switch that is in the off position as standard and if you push in either direction...returns to the off position. I killed 3 remote batteries on the old FJR as I think lookie-lous at rallies would flip the switch unknowingly. (Or maybe I bumped it)

Switch 4 will be a SPDT (Mom)-Off-On for my Datel. No relay on this one either and will be direct to the batter. This switch would be cool in that you get to choose off, on, or have it on momentarily.

Switch 1 is what I currently have and worked pretty well, but want to take it one step further. It's an SPDT On-Off-On for the auxilliary HID lights. Off is off. On1 is if the high beam stock lights are on to also turn on aux lights. On2 overrides and turns the aux lights on all the time (as long as the ignition is on). This one I haven't yet worked out all the wiring for.

Switch 2 is the hardest one to figure out and will probably require some heavy thinking including many TPUs (Toilet Processing Units), a few glasses of single malt, and a Karnaugh map. I'd like to do an energy saver option A &B. Using an SPDT On-Off-On I'd like to have left low on in On1, both on in the Off position (counter-intuitive I know), and right low on in O2. This one gets a bit complicated depending on whether I end up going low only HIDs or the high-low HID I got about a year ago. The former seems to be a be a bit friendlier in amperage usage (maybe because there's no electromagnet involved) and the high beam HID don't buy me much compared to my flamethrower FF200.

Switch 3 would be TBD. Thinking about possibly some running or fork LEDs...and/or a stealth mode.

Regardless, the next month or two is going to turn the front end into spaghetti and either I will become overwhelmed OR master of relays and switching. There can be only one!

A little update on Zaphod. I've been powdercoating and having parts painted to make a ugly, but distinctive bike. Zaphod with John Deere "safety" yellow.

fjryellow.jpg

Pieces not added yet include FZ-1 mirrors (working on my Datel farkle) and light brackets.

I had two people in the left lane suddenly move to the right lane this morning on the way to work. Heh. ;)

:lol: I was wondering the same thing. It looks like a Wolverine bike!!

And damn Iggy, I hope you already had those rotor carriers off for something else when you powder coated them. :unsure:

I can't imagine going through the extreme hassle of breaking the rotor bolts free, and then replacing them all, just to paint them yellow...

BTW - I love that color. If I ever need to repaint my '05 I'm going straight Fly Yellow!! I know it's been done before (Vandy was one) and I loved it.