one more quick question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from the old cruiser club and just have 1500 miles on my 07 but when riding with the group and sticking to the rules I topped out last weekend on a 200 mile ride at 52.2 mpg on the screen. 50+ is common. HOWEVER, when riding by myself to work running 80-90 with a hitch every now and then at a buck 20, mpg rapidly drops to the 44-45 mpg range. Actual gas going into the tank tells me that the screen is pretty close without taking into account that the odometer may be a little high. I have not run any speedo or odometer checks to verify accuracy. Past history on cruisers would indicate as much as 9% error on a kawasaki 1600 and a 5% error on a V-Star 1100. I kept my Speedo-healer from the 1600 and the factory people tell me it will work on the FJR but just have to be hard-wired. Has anyone verified the % error on an FJR?

:blink: '06 FJR A, mainly highway driving getting about 40-41 mpg per tank...propensity to pass the high number of gravel haulers that ply the roads around here at extreme bursts of speed culminating in exhilarting terminal velocities?

On a extended road trip last summer I did get one tank that was about 50 mpg.

This was previously posted elsewhere:

With gas slipping over $3.00/gal and installation of a PCIII days away, I was interested in finding out how what MPG penalty speed caused. I wanted a comparative "before" and "after" so now was the time. I tried to make the test as emphiracal as possible and I believe it is, at least in relative terms.

Method:

I used a running start at the chosen speed. The "average mpg" was reset at the start and recorded at the finish. The test run was 8 miles of very level road that formed a "U" shape thereby negating any wind effect. The throttle lock was tensioned before hitting the reset and there was about a mile runup prior to the startline to settle on the speed.

Conditions:

Bike 2006 FJR AE

Temp 77f

Wind calm

Fuel 78 ron

Tires BT020

Rear 42psi

Front 39psi

Rider 225lbs

Results:

MPH - MPG

50 - 59.0

55 - 57.8

60 - 56.5

65 - 54.8

70 - 52.2

75 - 50.0

80 - 48.6

85 - 46.1

90 - 43.4

I have observed that in checking the actual fuel used in a tank vs the MPG computer that there is a variance that typically exists of 1.5 - 1.8 mpg less.