One to Remember

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
When I bought my Feejer in '08 my wife wanted nothing to do with it. She took one ride and at 40mph was holding on so tight to the grab bars that after just a couple of miles down the road and back home she almost couldn't let go.

Last year she asked to take a ride. I was shocked but quickly obliged. By the end of the ride she didn't want me to stop but night was quickly approaching. What changed? I really can't tell you but it was a 180 degree difference and I was not complaining. By the end of the year we had put a couple thousand miles on the bike with short day trips.

This year we decided to take two weeks for vacation. One week in Panama City Beach and one week taking back roads home to Indiana. Her list of needs included new Olympia riding gear, boots and gloves. She also asked for floorboards and a backrest. Thanks to forum members Dave "08FJRME" for great floorboards and Gary "Garauld" for an incredible backrest and tail rack. Before vacation we took a 300 mile checkoff ride with all gear and farkles installed and everything went well.

We started our trip early on Friday June 15th. We hit the interstate and headed to Indianapolis around 465 to 65 south. Since our son and his girlfriend were going as well we gave them the address to the hotel in Athens, AL and decided to ride our own pace. With just a few stops for food and gas we ended up in Athens, AL a little earlier than we expected. As I was preparing to take the off ramp to Athens my wife spoke up and told me she wished we hadn't made reservations since she really wanted to ride on. 430 miles into the trip and she still good to go. I was shocked and pleased.

Saturday we finished the ride to Panama City Beach. About 20 miles out it started to rain. We had put our liners in our Olympia gear at our last gas stop and was prepared. It finally started to really rain. This is the first time she has ever been in rain on a bike. I was somewhat apprehensive. She would either love it or hate it and I was about to find out. After just a few minutes I heard her laughing over the Autocomm. She said "I love it, it is like playing in the rain." Another win! :)

We had a good time in Panama City Beach but by Wednesday she wanted to hit the road again, go somewhere. I had plans so we stayed put until Saturday. On Saturday we pulled out of Panama City Beach and headed North towards Athens, NC. I decided that if she loved all of this so much she might really love the Dragon. When I told her my plans you would have thought I had given a child their Christmas present early. Andrews was about a 420 mile trip from Panama City Beach on 231. Once again she loved it and said being on the bike brought her complete peace.

On Sunday June 17th we got up and hit the dragon. Since we were South of the Dragon we headed up and then down. Of course we had to stop and purchase the obligatory tee shirt, stickers and patches. She wanted to be sure she had something to prove she had earned her Dragon stripes. After a few pictures we headed back up the dragon and after a short break at the lookout headed back down and ran the Cherohala Skyway to Telico Plains where we had lunch. We then headed back to US 129 and she asked to run the Dragon one last time. We ran it and headed back to Andrews for the evening.

On Monday we ran US 441 through the Smokey Mountain National Park to Pigeon Forge. From Pigeon Forge I decided to run back roads through Tennessee to the coal roads of Virginia and Kentucky. We stayed in Norton Virginia on Tuesday.

The back roads of Virginia and Kentucky were a blast. My wife said she loved the twist and turns and the scenery was amazing. We even hit a few detours due to bridge work. This added a couple of hours to our trip on Tuesday and we loved it. On Wednesday we headed out to the coal roads of Kentucky. This was equally great and really shows you another side of life. That evening we stayed at Grayson Kentucky. The back road portion of our trip was over. On Thursday we hit the interstate and before we knew it vacation was over and we arrived safely at home.

By the time we arrived home my wife had ridden just over 2,300 miles and was sad we had to stop. She is already planning other trips for us in the near future. Our youngest son graduates next year and I have a feeling we will be burning through the tires in the very near future.

After all was said and done she told me that the trip was only possible due to the floorboard from Dave and the Backrest from Gary. Thank you to both for helping make our vacation successful and something to remember. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I really thought the last line of this ride report was going to be "And then I woke up". Great report, thanks for posting.

Wow, I really thought the last line of this ride report was going to be "And then I woke up". Great report, thanks for posting.
Trust me, this whole experience is pretty surreal to me. I asked her what caused her to change her mind. She said with one son in college and our last just about to start she decided she wanted to find something we could enjoy together. She gave it a serious try and found she really likes it. I feel like I won the lottery.

Outstanding! Congratulations. My wife has become a convert too - though she has yet to experience rain. I hope she likes that too.

clapping.gif
Congrats on the riding partner! Certainly the envy of many a rider. Care to share any deets wrt the 'magic gear'? I am only a couple weeks and 800 miles into my first Feejer, and it is beautiful. Ran Six Gap last weekend, and got caught in a gully washer (with my Olympia gear on as well, thankfully) on the way back, and I couldn't be happier, what a blast. As many of you I'm sure have also done, I am now having visions of long, twisty, glorious rides all over the States for thousands of miles, wife in tow (not literally, of course
black%20eye.gif
), faces in the wind... but when I come back from a ride and tell her how great all that is going to be, she is approving, if not less than enthusiastic, with that, "mmhmmm, that's nice, hon..." response. My wife has ridden with me before, and enjoys it I think, but certainly doesn't have the bug. I've managed to get her on the back for a couple of short rides on the FJR so far, and her first respond was, "nice... do they have back rests for this thing?" We passed a very sporty couple on a GoldWing... I asked her, "Is that what you want, a rolling couch? We can do that...", testing the waters... Response: "No, that is for old people...!" She wants a new jacket, so I think she's just getting back into it, but of course, I would like to make the passenger seat as.... comfortable.... as.... possible.... I will look around to see what is available, but curious to know from one who has attained the higher levels of Feejer enlightenment...
happy.gif

Congrats again, and many good rides together!

I know how you feel. My wife rides 2up with me about 95% of the time. She gets so relaxed, that she can actually sleep on the back while we are moving. It is the most amazing time together. It is so cool to get out and go in whatever direction we feel like. We started towing a bushtec trailer to carry camping gear with us a couple of years ago. That opened up even more possibilities and expanded where we go. One day we were on the Oregon Coast, picked up some shrimp and crab, put it in the ice chest and rode to eastern Oregon. camped for the night in the mountains and had a very nice seafood dinner.

We plan a 10 day trip each year and usually cover about 5000 miles. Last year we went to Alaska, Yukon, Ablerta, BC and back with BeanmerReamer and his wife. What a trip! Camped the whole way. The 10 days went by like it was one day. This years trip is to the Yellowstone, Tetons, Grand Canyon, Bryace, Zion, Arches, 4 corners, Grand Staircase, Yosemite and any other National Parks we can fit in on a long loop through 12 states in September.

Something you might want to consider is haveing her take pictures as you ride. I gave my wife the camera to take pictures as we go. It is a cannon digital SLR. Put it on sport mode. It shoots 3 pictures at a time with auto focus.

Congrats to you. :clapping:

My wife is going with me for her first weeklong trip in a few weeks...I'd be jumping up and down for joy if my wife felt that way during the trip...we'll see. :huh:

Most excellent! Great little ride report. Glad it is working out so well for both of you.

Did you see your photos in the Dragon? Nice lean angle two-up!

Clicky.

One to remember, indeed! Very nice write-up!

Over the last several years, my wife and I have put in somewhere around 50,000 miles 2-up, hitting the Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and 41 states in between along with 2 Canadian provinces. As I say, other than commuting, I can't pull either of the bikes out of the garage without my wife coming out in her gear with helmet in hand. We love it.

Sounds like you have your gear worked out - it took us a couple of iterations to get her (mostly) OK with her gear. We're still looking for the right riding pants for her.

Are you running the stock seat? The longest we could go on the stocker was 550 miles, and she was in agony. I got a Russell a few years ago and without it we would not be able to ride more than maybe 400 miles a day.

One other thing we do - Sooze loves taking pictures, so when we ride she has a point-n-shoot on a lanyard around her neck. She sits back there and takes pictures all day, which is great for me since I can keep focused on riding the bike safely and then see stuff that I missed later.

Most excellent! Great little ride report. Glad it is working out so well for both of you.

Clicky.
Thanks Sooter! Your picture was one that I have tagged in my album but my favorite lean pic is this one! Clicky :yahoo:

Clicky.
Thanks Sooter! Your picture was one that I have tagged in my album but my favorite lean pic is this one! Clicky :yahoo:
Yep. That's a goody! I went through a bunch of them and couldn't remember where the good one's were!

One to remember, indeed! Very nice write-up!

Over the last several years, my wife and I have put in somewhere around 50,000 miles 2-up, hitting the Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and 41 states in between along with 2 Canadian provinces. As I say, other than commuting, I can't pull either of the bikes out of the garage without my wife coming out in her gear with helmet in hand. We love it.

Sounds like you have your gear worked out - it took us a couple of iterations to get her (mostly) OK with her gear. We're still looking for the right riding pants for her.

Are you running the stock seat? The longest we could go on the stocker was 550 miles, and she was in agony. I got a Russell a few years ago and without it we would not be able to ride more than maybe 400 miles a day.

One other thing we do - Sooze loves taking pictures, so when we ride she has a point-n-shoot on a lanyard around her neck. She sits back there and takes pictures all day, which is great for me since I can keep focused on riding the bike safely and then see stuff that I missed later.

She had her Sony Point and Shoot in her pocket. She didn't want to take it out on the dragon but did use it on the trip.

We are using the stock seats. Seems to work OK with stops every two hundred miles or so. I hope to look into updated seats at some point. With one in college and another a year out some of my wants have been put on the back burner. I did an Iron Butt ride with the stock seats and survived but not happily. A new and improved seat is definitely in my future.

Reading these notes and reports make me glad that have my FJR too. Keep the reports coming and one of these days I hope to be riding with you and sharing my dream ride.

Lee