Opinions of MCL highway pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harper

Which side is the brake on?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Seattle, WA : floating down the atmospheric river
I have searched for reviews of the MCL highway pegs for the FJR and haven't found any useful comments. I have rather long legs so, in my riding posture, my shins are almost on the fairing. I think I would have to wrap my legs around the fairing to use highway pegs although my legs are already so bowed I look as if I have spent a lifetime riding elephants bareback. Is anyone, especially with long legs, willing to share either positive or negative experience with these pegs? My left knee, which has no cartilage, seeks some serious relief after an hour or so in the saddle.

Thanks.

Do it. Running MCL pegs now, had Wild Bill's before. MCL is the way to go, with OEM pegs integrated. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and need to stretch in the same manner.

Do it. Running MCL pegs now, had Wild Bill's before. MCL is the way to go, with OEM pegs integrated. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and need to stretch in the same manner.
Do you have to put your legs out from behind the fairing to reach the pegs? You seem to have roughly the same dimensions as me. I'm 6'1" (used to be younger and 6'2") with 35" inseam. I would much rather spend $200 for something that would give me more hours of comfort in the saddle than give up the FJR. I've tried some cruisers which, though comfortable, ride like lawn mowers.

I like mine....I'm 6'...kind of have to bow my legs around the edge of the fairing but not much....I can stretch my legs out straight and lay my shin area on the pegs for awhile....nice to have a different position [she said].....also if you touch one down it folds back on an angle rather than digging in...

I don't know which came along first, probably Wild Bill's, with MCL following the same pattern. Wild Bill passed away a while ago and Garauld (here on the forum) started producing a very similar design, and I think still sells them. I believe all three were similar enough there wasn't much to choose from between them--somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had mine (from Wild Bill) on both my FJRs, probably 125 K miles so far, and I wouldn't be without them. But this is important--none of them extend far enough out away from the bike for me. At least on my two '05s, there is a sharp ridge in the fairing that both keeps me from resting my boot comfortably on the peg and presses irritatingly against my leg below the calf when my foot's on the highway peg. I used to have to balance the ball of my foot on the knob at the very end of the peg.

But here's my solution. I found a set of extensions that brought the footpeg out farther from the bike and also extended it farther away from me. The ones I found (used) were from Kuryakyn. The pic is not exactly like mine but close--they make a lot of styles, mostly very Harley-looking, and all way too expensive, but the pic gives you the idea. I wish one of our handy guys here would make some FJR-specific ones. The important thing is they have to be set so the extension goes forward, toward the front of the bike, not down, where scraping would be more of a danger. I have never scraped my highway pegs or extensions (they do fold back), but they give me a lot of relief for my knees and legs, and also offer a temporary break from the blast of engine heat on my legs--at least as important to me. Just putting one foot at a time on there offers a lot of seating variety after riding for a while, too. Think you should do it.

HLQDZ4H1X2WFE9L2-product-listing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know which came along first, probably Wild Bill's, with MCL following the same pattern. Wild Bill passed away a while ago and Garauld (here on the forum) started producing a very similar design, and I think still sells them. I believe all three were similar enough there wasn't much to choose from between them--somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I've had mine (from Wild Bill) on both my FJRs, probably 125 K miles so far, and I wouldn't be without them. But this is important--none of them extend far enough out away from the bike for me. At least on my two '05s, there is a sharp ridge in the fairing that both keeps me from resting my boot comfortably on the peg and presses irritatingly against my leg below the calf when my foot's on the highway peg. I used to have to balance the ball of my foot on the knob at the very end of the peg.

But here's my solution. I found a set of extensions that brought the footpeg out farther from the bike and also extended it farther away from me. The ones I found (used) were from Kuryakyn. The pic is not exactly like mine but close--they make a lot of styles, mostly very Harley-looking, and all way too expensive, but the pic gives you the idea. I wish one of our handy guys here would make some FJR-specific ones. The important thing is they have to be set so the extension goes forward, toward the front of the bike, not down, where scraping would be more of a danger. I have never scraped my highway pegs or extensions (they do fold back), but they give me a lot of relief for my knees and legs, and also offer a temporary break from the blast of engine heat on my legs--at least as important to me. Just putting one foot at a time on there offers a lot of seating variety after riding for a while, too. Think you should do it.

HLQDZ4H1X2WFE9L2-product-listing.jpg
Mike, how are you mounting your extensions? I like the idea a lot but it looks like they are all designed to clamp to crash bars which I don't have. Are you using a canyon cage for mounting?

But this is important--none of them extend far enough out away from the bike for me. At least on my two '05s, there is a sharp ridge in the fairing that both keeps me from resting my boot comfortably on the peg and presses irritatingly against my leg below the calf when my foot's on the highway peg. I used to have to balance the ball of my foot on the knob at the very end of the peg.
It seems like a slip-on extension could easily be made if they prove to be too short. Something temporary that would tell me if I wanted to machine something more permanent.

Thanks.

I had MCL pegs on my bike and with them folded up, I was dragging the bases, especially on the right side. Ended up bending the bolts and causing my cover to leak oil. I took them off and sold them for cheap. Haven't really missed them, and I'll never put them back on my bike. EVER!

Echoing HRZ, keep in mind that a zero speed left side tip over can potentially break the case and let the juice out. I'm aware of a couple instances of this happening and ruining trips and costing some $$$ renting UHauls to get back to civilization.

I had a set on the '09 and transferred them to the '15. After having close friends suffer a ruined trip, they came off and won't go back on. For us that ride in BFE, it's not worth the risk.

YMMV

--G

I've liked the occasional relief the MCLs provide - both for the breeze and the leg position. Hoping the frame sliders prevent any tipover damage. I don't ride aggressively enough to have them touch pavement.

Mike, how are you mounting your extensions? I like the idea a lot but it looks like they are all designed to clamp to crash bars which I don't have. Are you using a canyon cage for mounting?
I just looked for an image online that looked something like mine. So you're right--that pair in my picture did have an adaptor that would work on a crash bar, but there are many variations and some work like mine does--just bolts through the mounting plate that the standard peg goes into on the basic MCL/Wild Bill/Garauld mounting plate. The actual footpeg that I rest my foot on bolts to that.

I guess it could cause damage in a crash, or maybe even a tip-over, but since it makes the bike rideable for me for more than a couple of hours or so, it's well worth the risk.

Like I said, I don't drag pegs anyway. I advocate leaning off the bike in turns to keep it more upright; not everybody does that. That could be a factor.

I don't ride aggressively enough to drag pegs. If that ever changes, my plans will have to change accordingly.

Plan B has been to hook the boot heels over the passenger pegs (when lowered) for a brief respite.
That only solves the inverse of my problem. I already am unable to fully bend my cartilage-free left knee. Further bending it to hook a boot heel on the passenger peg would greatly exacerbate my discomfort.

Based on past comments, I would think that Wild Bill did all the design work and, once it was clear they were successful, MCL knocked off his variation. But that's just a rumor. Then, I suspect, that Gerald waited until WB's passing to come out with his variation.

I had the original Wild Bill units but seldom used then cause my legs had a conflict with the fairing.

Like several of us, I'm blessed/cursed with long legs. (I can step over/straddle. 36" dog kennel with no problem)

I have highway pegs on my Wingabago that necessitate a wide spread to get my shins around the lower fairing. Didn't take long to get used to that position and I can ride from tank to tank in comfort.

When I bought Lucille from Beemerdons, she had MCL pegs on her. My ride home from AZ (about 420 miles) was nothing but fun. Well, chilly, too.) I quickly learned that the MCL pegs are only useful for a brief change of position. Guys with shorter legs might be able to ride there longer, but not me!

That being said, I'm glad their there. Sometimes that few minutes is all I need to get my comfort back and make it to the next fuel/restroom break.

Enjoy!