Options For Occasional Extra Fuel ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found these to be handy.

shell%20gas%20station.jpg

Someone wiser than me seems to have spotted them on all of the routes I use, I've found them to be very convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone wiser than me seems to have spotted them on all of the routes I use, I've found them to be very handy.
What if I like gunky build up?

Hey All,
There is a lot on here about fuel cells, but what about for someone who may only occasionally need/want to carry 2-3 gallons?

I'm looking for one to carry when I do a SS1000 around the great basin of Nevada.

Has anyone out there every carried a CARB no-spill type can?

The kind or similar listed here:

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-07378-2-1-2G...B/dp/B000BQSKA0

I appreciate any info you may have for me.

Thanks,

Kirk

This looks similar to the POS that I had for the last couple of hurricanes. They are the "no spill" model that meets Kalifornia emmission requirements. The trick is pulling back the foreskin so the fuel will come out. I think the idea is to shove the nozzel into the tank and it pushes back "automatically". Well, it doesn't. Nearly impossible to use on a bike tank, worse on an emergency generator with a poly fuel tank (caves it in).

Get the fuel bottles. No brainer. Easy to distribute the weigh as mentioned above.

>>IMAGE OF SMELL GAS STATION REMOVED<<

Someone wiser than me seems to have spotted them on all of the routes I use, I've found them to be very handy.
Rad's riding territory may not be typical of some areas of the US.

Hwy50.jpg

:p

I'd get one of these if I was gonna use the MSR bottles.
https://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.las...2ECF0MmIx6C3AC7
Yep, MSR bottles are geat. I use a couple of water bottle cages. They are not lockable, but with bungee cord, they are very secure. The cheapest cages from Bike Planet, about 6.00 each, don't have the lip at the top for water bottles and work very well.

Water Bottle Cage Clicky
Will those fit the 33oz MSR? The SPEC page doesn't say squat.

Rad's riding territory may not be typical of some areas of the US.
Hwy50.jpg

:p
Is that US HWY 50?

I would probably invest in the MSR fuel bottles. I have some for backpacking and they are great. I never really thought of using them for really long distance trips. The could be a life-saver on those desolate two-lane roads if you're not paying attention to the mileage or fuel stops. They would fit well in the pack I have on my garauld rack with my other tools.

Army surplus stores might have some of the older fuel cans too...but where to put them??? and the transfer of the fuel would be awkward at best....you'd almost have to buy some sort of liquid transfer pump to keep from spilling or you'd have to be really careful and take your time.

Just another lonely highway. Yes, HWY 50.
I knew it looked familiar. I didn't take any pictures along that road. I took THIS picture when I rode to CA last May.

sorry ....slight hijack over.

I was a little concerned when I looked down at my fuel guage and I had 1 bar before E and a few miles to get to Austin...I didn't know if I'd make it. Luckily I did, but it's a downhill glide into that little town :)

Better idea (and a lot cheaper) than the Touratech mounts (unsurprisingly): Operator's Manual Canister from AgriSupply.com - $5, fully-enclosed. Doesn't solve the "where to mount it on an FJR" problem, though. According to ADV, they'll fit the 33oz. MSR bottles just fine. Makes me wish I still had my dual-sport bike that I didn't feel bad about just bolting warts onto.

I've typically carried a pair of the smaller MSR bottles around on road trips. Never had the (mis-)fortune of having to use them myself, but I've helped out a stuck Harley rider who was awfully surprised what a BMW rider can pull out from the bottom of his luggage.

Better idea (and a lot cheaper) than the Touratech mounts (unsurprisingly): Operator's Manual Canister from AgriSupply.com - $5, fully-enclosed. Doesn't solve the "where to mount it on an FJR" problem, though. According to ADV, they'll fit the 33oz. MSR bottles just fine. Makes me wish I still had my dual-sport bike that I didn't feel bad about just bolting warts onto.

I've typically carried a pair of the smaller MSR bottles around on road trips. Never had the (mis-)fortune of having to use them myself, but I've helped out a stuck Harley rider who was awfully surprised what a BMW rider can pull out from the bottom of his luggage.

Cool! I hate Touratech's prices. I mean HATE them.

I've been using the 1 qt MSR cans for several years and thousands of miles. Have had to use it a time or two as well.

Here's my solution to having it roll around in the saddlebags or trunk..............

IMG_2869.jpg

It's a big chunk of foam that's just a little bigger than the MSR can......

IMG_2871.jpg

I hollowed it out with an olfa knife like so.........

IMG_2870.jpg

Never a leak or spill. Saved me from pushing the feej across one very long bridge when the wife and I rode to Niagara Falls last year. (What can I say...gas was ALOT cheaper on the NY side!)

And they don't spray when you uncap them because the cap has a little vent hole in it that gets exposed once the o-ring on the cap unseats from the can, so it lets off the pressure that way. I give 'em two thumbs up.

Can these MSR bottles be filled up at the gas station pump? Is the opening large enough for the pump nozzle to fit in?

Yes, just go slowly or you'll overflow it before ya know it. The 1 qt size packs really easily. If your FJR gets 40 mpg, a quart is (theoretically) good for 10 miles. I coulda sworn they used to offer a bigger one, but I don't see anything bigger on their website now. They're readily available at big sporting goods stores.