Ordering farkles online

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Before this week, I had never made a single purchase on ebay. So to get in the farkling spirit, I made 2 online purchases (on July 14th). I ordered the AVCC from Murph, who shipped next day via USPS and from an ebay vendor, I ordered the Scala Q2 multiset

MURPH

As per the tracking info he provided, it's already in Canada.

Package Status Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 4:15 pm on July 17, 2009....yada yada yada

good job Murph

EBAY

Within minutes of placing my order with Murph, I bought the Scala Q2 multiset from an ebay vendor who claims "ships same day". I ordered on the 14th

4 days later...

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on July 15, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available... yada yada yada

I contacted the vendor, who said sometimes, a package can take a day before it passes a scanning point.

her feedback section looks OK.

https://myworld.ebay.com/shopwithus!/

(NB - I'm in Canada so no real experience with USPS)

Anyone with experience with online purchasing ever seen a USPS shipment in transit go 3 days un-trackable? IE: am I worrying for nothing?

Don't sweat it yet Andre. I've ordered a pile of stuff from normal vendors and through Ebay. Most times, the USPS tracking is spot on, others, it either lagged, showing a bunch of scans all at once and even never being updated, despite having the package in my hands.

Also, the USPS tracking ceases as soon as a package gets into customs.You'll also have to pay for shipping via Canada Post from customs to the destination, the Shipping fee you pay is only from the origination point to customs.

Don't sweat it yet Andre. I've ordered a pile of stuff from normal vendors and through Ebay. Most times, the USPS tracking is spot on, others, it either lagged, showing a bunch of scans all at once and even never being updated, despite having the package in my hands.
Also, the USPS tracking ceases as soon as a package gets into customs.You'll also have to pay for shipping via Canada Post from customs to the destination, the Shipping fee you pay is only from the origination point to customs.

really? I said 'no real experience with USPS' because I bought the factory service manual from Chuck (C&C), which he shipped USPS and it just showed-up at my door.

Well, glad to hear it's all normal. I just want the Scala kit before we do Mauricie! That what you use?

USPS tracking sucks. It is NOT real time, like UPS or FedEx. I wouldn't sweat looking at it unless it doesn't show up, then you can go back and see what went wrong.

really? I said 'no real experience with USPS' because I bought the factory service manual from Chuck (C&C), which he shipped USPS and it just showed-up at my door.
Well, glad to hear it's all normal. I just want the Scala kit before we do Mauricie! That what you use?
Its a crap shoot with the final delivery. Sometimes you get pinned for customs, other times not, sometimes you get pinned for shipping to your door, other times not. Just be prepared for the 'extra' shipping charges is all.

Headsets I use Collett's. I'm pretty sure the Scala's won't work with them. I just checked CardoSystems website and they don't mention the protocol it uses for Bike-to-Bike. But judging by its capabilities, its probably the same 900Mhz that Collett uses. Guess we'll find out huh!

I ship products from my job via USPS International quite often. Calling it 'tracking' isn't accurate. I've had products arrive before they showed as being posted and others show as 'arrived' at a distribution center which actually turns out to be customs and customs can be a black hole. For the most part USPS gets the packages delivered in a timely fashion. The only places where I've had a problem are the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi and Canberra, AU.

We have Q2s and they have worked out great for us.

I have my doubts, based on a single personal experience, abt USPS tracking.

Abt 1 year ago, I sent some important papers to my insurance company via USPS and requested a signature receipt to confirm delivery. USPS tracking showed the package arrived at the local post office in the destination city and, then, nothing. After a week or so, I took my receipt to my local post office and asked them to track the package since it never arrived. One year later, that package is still "lost."

YMMV.

USPS tracking is pretty much useless. I have had packages arrive while the tracking still says they haven't got the package yet.

UPS, on the other hand has pretty good tracking, as does FedeX.

No worries, you should get it all. I concur USPS doesn't track well, it's not UPS or FedEx, but you'll get it.

BTW - Hint: I purchase all my Paypal online vendors and ebay items via credit card, the credit card companies will back you best over the Paypal or ebay resolution system, IMHO. Forum members, friends, etc I trust more and will do instant payments, plus I don't want them incurring the credit card cost. ;)

USPS tracking sucks. It is NOT real time, like UPS or FedEx. I wouldn't sweat looking at it unless it doesn't show up, then you can go back and see what went wrong.
I have never found that the USPS tracking ever shows online. Maybe it does AFTER I receive the package but I have never checked (because the package is already in my hands).

Andre;

Got your PM, by the way, but I'm down in Dahlonega, GA this week, riding local roads - we can organise something when I get back next week if you're in town.

I hope Murph didn't ship the cruise via UPS - UPS ground (and Fedex economy) costs $$$ to get across the border, but I'm reasonably certain Gary knows how to ship to Canada - though I personally have things I buy from him sent to me in Champlain, NY. Likely going to be meeting him this week on the way back North if he's not working shifts at the mill - going to phone him today. I bypassed the visit last year

Did you order the Bergman bracket (or some other one) for the control pad? Or did you plan to use a toggle switch drilled into the left control pod? I intended to use a toggle, but it was just quicker to use the factory pad.

As to your possible Ebay issues - if you used Paypal or funded Paypal with a credit card you will NOT lose any money if you don't get item. You can either file a complaint with Paypal OR with your credit card.

thanks everyone

5 days later, as many of you said, USPS tracking shows it as having gone from 'pending pickup' directly to having left the USA. So it's up here in the great white north now!

Bramfrank: I forgot you're off on a good road-tour, trying out your new cruise control. Yep, I did order the bergman bracket and thanks to you, I now know I don't even have to buy any vacuum check valves, since there are 2 in the kit being shipped up from Murph (one on the cc itself and one on the included vacuum canister). Ride safe and talk to you when you're back in Mtl. Enjoy!

thanks again to all

I bought my AVCC from Murph several years ago, back when I owned an old style Connie, but never got around to installing it. I got the Burgman bracket and the Vacuum reservoir from him too.

The check valve in the reservoir works just fine as is. I did tee into two of the 4 throttle body vacuum ports, just to be sure that I had a sufficient supply of vacuum. I did not do any isolation between those ports (with added check valves, etc.) as I determined this was unnecessary, based on the fact that there are already two vacuum ports tied together for the fuel pressure regulator (as I recall).