Ouch! 4 weeks to custom order Racetech shock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrif

Reaction score
Recently noticed oil from fork leaking! Not surprising as the bike has over 72,000kms. I pulled the forks and shock. The local suspension pro asked me to bring both along as some of the original shocks can be modified to allow for servicing? Not mine, he also said even if it could be modified it would not be worth the cost and I agreed. He is a strong supporter of Racetech and their products so I have decided to go with their Gold valve upgrade and their shock... here comes the hard part! The shock has to be custom made and could take up to 1 month? I have only 1 longer trip planned this year and you guessed it, we leave in less than 1 month from today! This is not a complaint just letting others who may also be down with repairs know they have company. My suspension guy is going to ask Racetech if there is any possible way to speed the process up? Oh yeh the weather here just turned very nice so I have only been on the road a couple of weeks! If I had noticed the shock leaking at the end of last year I could have done this through the winter. And if pigs could fly.......

I've heard this place, Sasquatch, could rebuild a stock shock into something similar to an aftermarket shock. There's another place in Minneapolis, MN that I've heard could also do it. I don't have that contact info handy.

It's the wrong time of year to expect a fast turn-around. I think mine, ordered in October, wasn't in my hands until December.

Added::

Motorsports Plus

Jeff Fischer (Owner)

150 Hardman Ave. So.

South St. Paul, MN 55075

651-455-5657

I've not used either yet. I have a stock shock sitting in a box waiting for me to find the money...

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the upgrade to the stock shock is based on what the body of the shock is made of steel or aluminum. Also in Canada we don't have as much access to suppliers as you guys do in the states? Another problem is of course shipping and brokerage at the border! If you're lucky things go well but that is always an unknown quantity. My suspension guy Ian Mckill, Riders Edge Suspension, is going to try and see if he can source an Ohlins if possible?

Wait. You initially said your forks were leaking. Is your shock leaking too? Put the stocker back on until you get your new one. Or get a used one off the forum to use temporarily or as a back-up.

jmgrif, our group has a few extra stock shocks just for problems like this.

You might see if someone in your area has a shock you can use or buy to use until your new Racetech shock comes in.

Glad to see your upgrading the forks at the same time.

Apparently the upgrade to the stock shock is based on what the body of the shock is made of steel or aluminum. Also in Canada we don't have as much access to suppliers as you guys do in the states? Another problem is of course shipping and brokerage at the border! If you're lucky things go well but that is always an unknown quantity. My suspension guy Ian Mckill, Riders Edge Suspension, is going to try and see if he can source an Ohlins if possible?

True. I don't know what it would take to get it back and forth. I'm surprised Mr Mckill can't get the parts from RaceTech and do the job himself. I don't know if the affiliated RaceTech shops can do the work on shocks or not as I've never asked.

Recently noticed oil from fork leaking! Not surprising as the bike has over 72,000kms. I pulled the forks and shock. The local suspension pro asked me to bring both along as some of the original shocks can be modified to allow for servicing? Not mine, he also said even if it could be modified it would not be worth the cost and I agreed. He is a strong supporter of Racetech and their products so I have decided to go with their Gold valve upgrade and their shock... here comes the hard part! The shock has to be custom made and could take up to 1 month? I have only 1 longer trip planned this year and you guessed it, we leave in less than 1 month from today! This is not a complaint just letting others who may also be down with repairs know they have company. My suspension guy is going to ask Racetech if there is any possible way to speed the process up? Oh yeh the weather here just turned very nice so I have only been on the road a couple of weeks! If I had noticed the shock leaking at the end of last year I could have done this through the winter. And if pigs could fly.......

It's prime road racing season. the suspension guru's get backed up with race orders really fast. Need to give more lead time during the warm months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great response! Yes the right fork was leaking? The reason for the shock was after 72,000kms it "probably" is toast? In suspension tech guys opinion not even worth trying to make serviceable! His shop is small and bringing the bike to him was not realistic so he asked me to bring him the parts and he would assess the shock after removing the spring! Didn't even go there! Just not worth the expense of his time? He has ordered the Racetech Gold fork internals which they have in stock and he is now looking to other suppliers (Ohlins) for their availability? Yes I can re install stock shock but only if I didn't have a 3 week jaunt planned for the middle of June! If Racetech would supply him the parts he is more than capable of building it up himself. Of course he is very busy too? Just the wrong time of year? I will update.

Wow! Great response! Yes the right fork was leaking? The reason for the shock was after 72,000kms it "probably" is toast? In suspension tech guys opinion not even worth trying to make serviceable! His shop is small and bringing the bike to him was not realistic so he asked me to bring him the parts and he would assess the shock after removing the spring! Didn't even go there! Just not worth the expense of his time? He has ordered the Racetech Gold fork internals which they have in stock and he is now looking to other suppliers (Ohlins) for their availability? Yes I can re install stock shock but only if I didn't have a 3 week jaunt planned for the middle of June! If Racetech would supply him the parts he is more than capable of building it up himself. Of course he is very busy too? Just the wrong time of year? I will update.
Great news! It looks like my new shock will be shipped by the end of May! If customs doesn't delay to much I should be able to make my planned trip!I will update the ride improvements after installation and set up!

Öhlins USA has both YA 036 (without hyd preload) and YA 707 (with hyd preload) units in stock and ready to ship should you decide to go with the best available. ;)

Bought the Ohlins YA 707 with a better rated spring from JC Motors last month.

Great service, shipping and price.

A bit of a bugger to install with the ABS unit in place.

The card trick is for the Fork! Not the Shock? Race Tech has fork rebuild kit in stock and now has come forward with the new shock to be shipped in time! I really appreciate the interest here in the forum! I have received an offer of an unused original shock from an 08 shock being offered in the Bartering section but with the timely offering from Race Tech I won't need the generous offer! If anyone needs a second gen shock I would definitely direct them to our bartering section for this offer? I can only say WOW this Forum Rocks! Thanks!

Thank-you Race Tech! My new shock arrived today June 5/12! As promised! I installed it tonight without problem and now am just waiting for the forks to be built with Race Tech Gold Valves and springs. Apparently my bushings were shot so they have to be ordered in which should be tomorrow? The shock seems so robust and there is so much more adjust ability? I hope to have the forks by tomorrow or the next day then I will update on the ride improvements!