Over Pants For The Daily Commute

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a born again, liberated, cheap bastard I wear cheap, poly type, running pants with a zipper on the legs to get them eaily over your boots. These make good pants covers, are pretty waterproof, and are so cheap I have several. If you buy a large enough size they slip right over your pants. When it is cold I use a pair of thick hunting pants in wonderful road cameo. I have cycling pants but only use them of long rides. My commute is 100 miles a day and the cheap items work fine, however, I've yet to require and road skid protection from them, thankfully. Adding the multiple pairs of long johns, thermal soxs, extra layers, jackets, balaclavas, helmets with fog inserts for cold mornings, gloves of all morphs, eye drops, ear plugs, sunglasses, sun screen, spare this and that, it is no wonder that I can't keep track of anything else.

President Palin is not even close to my happy thought!

wfooshee - Do the Tourmaster sizing charts adjust for extra clothes worn under the pants? For example, the chart on Tourmaster's website indicates that I should choose a Large size (34-36W) but if that doesn't account for my dress pants underneath then I would have to get an XL. Right?
Thanks!
No, you buy the size you normally buy for clothes. They're made with the "over" in mind. It's not like putting a 36 dress pant over another 36 dress pant. They know you're not gonna wear overpants (especially mesh) over nothing else.

As with any mail order or online, find out about return and exchange if they don't fit. Some places have a fee, some don't. I don't buy when they have a return fee.

+ 1 on the First Gear Overpants.
I've been wearing Hein Gericke Air Overpants for about three years, on my daily commute and on all other rides, in all kinds of weather. (They are made by the same company that makes First Gear, but have a slightly different outside pocket layout.) Easy to pull on and off, with adjuster straps at the waist and the leg cuffs for a custom fit. Good stuff.

I use the First Gear HT Air 2.0 Overpants like these: Clicky

They work really well because of the full side zippers for easy on/off. I've had mine for 2 years and they have held up really well.

JW

I use the First Gear HT Air 2.0 Overpants like these: Clicky
They work really well because of the full side zippers for easy on/off. I've had mine for 2 years and they have held up really well.

JW
+1

For me, the most important part of the overpant is the zippers. The First Gear HT's have heavy duty zippers, not those little wimpy zippers that hang up easily.

Just my $.02 worth.

I'm using the FirstGear HT II Textile overpants https://www.newenough.com/protective_appare..._overpants.html

Same pair now for 5 riding seasons, commute to work 36 miles every day I can.... March into November, cold (to around 30 degrees) and HOT (till I can't stand it.....they actually keep the engine heat tollerable over jeans) I've been in some nasty downpours with no water getting to my street/work pants....I can't compare them to any others as these are the only ones I've owned.....I would buy another pair in a 'beat. Only concern is I've washed & re-waterproofed them with nikwax which tends to make them rather slippery in the saddle.

If you're looking for good customer service, call this place: Motogearoutlet. I got the Tourmaster Venture Pants (I think) from them and really enjoy them. They have a waterproof liner and a warmpth liner for those winter months. The only thing that annoys me is that the liners do not have the side zippers for putting the pants on over boots.

My friend has First-Gear pants that he really enjoys. I am thinking of going that route for ease of use. They seem easier to get in and out of than my tourmaster pants.

Try these: Overpants

Waterproof too!

Actually, the link is for the new and improved ones. I have ballistic 5.

Oh, these are one of the few that you can get in a LONG version, for tall mofo's.

+1 on First Gear over pants. https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/...-Overpants.aspx

By the way. I wear a 38 and ordered a 38 and they fit just right.

I have used them for a year know and really like them. 40-75 degrees I use them with my regular work jeans on my commute to and from work. Easy to slip in and out at work. 75 degrees and above, if on a long ride, I will take out the liner and wear shorts only underneath.

I have found that under 40 degrees, I need to start thinking about wearing my fleece wader sweats to stay toasty warm. This requires me to have to change at work, which isn't a huge deal, but kind of a pain in the butt. I'm looking into making my FirstGear over pants, my mild to warm weather and purchasing a pair of Gerbing Union Ridge heated over pants for COLD (35 degrees of less) and those long rides where the temps will be dropping.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for good customer service, call this place: Motogearoutlet. I got the Tourmaster Venture Pants (I think) from them and really enjoy them. They have a waterproof liner and a warmpth liner for those winter months. The only thing that annoys me is that the liners do not have the side zippers for putting the pants on over boots.
My friend has First-Gear pants that he really enjoys. I am thinking of going that route for ease of use. They seem easier to get in and out of than my tourmaster pants.
+1 on Motogearoutlet.

I got new Olympia Gear from them a couple weeks ago, and couldn't be happier.

BTW, the Olympia Airglide pants are great overpants, w/ full-length quality zippers, and a double-layer liner, for cold weather. The inner layer of both the shell and liner are mesh, which helps eliminate sweating.

Thanks for all the great replies! I decided on the Tourmaster Venture Air pants and I also bought the Tourmaster Polar Tex gloves to go with it. I already have a Tourmaster jacket so I should be getting advertising royalties from them any day now. :blink: I ordered everything from Helmet City which was offering Free 2-Day shipping and no tax. Not bad!

I should be nice and toasty during the winter. :yahoo:

Thanks again for the help.

Good timing on this thread! I just purchased the FirstGear overpants and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I feel much better reading the good reviews here. I have a FirstGear jacket that I really like so I am looking forward to good winter riding!!

I would like to thank everyone for their input as well!! Peace of mind is a great thing!! B)

I also use the FirstGear HT overpants, for a couple years now, commuting every day. I can't wear jeans, either. Good from really warm down to really cold - they have removable liners. I also use the FirstGear HTAir overpants in the hot weather. Went down last year at a good clip and they held up really well. My hip was black and blue, but no road rash.

The HT has really good heavy duty zippers. The HT Air zippers are a bit less rugged. On my first pair, every zipper pull broke off, even on the rain liner. They replaced the pants under warranty, with a pair of HT Air 2.0 versions and they've held up really well.

I've pressed my older FirstGear overpants into use as ski pants several years ago when I got my 'Stitch for the bike and they do great as ski pants, too!

+1 for the Firstgear HT air overpants. Since you live in a warmer part of the USA, these are just the ticket. They are mesh where less protection is needed, cordura elsewhere. Foam armor in the knees. Hip armor can be added. The mesh permits some airflow during warmer months. During cooler or damper weather zip in the liner. Over normal street clothes they will keep you warm down to about 30 degrees.

They are not serious wet weather gear. The rain liner zips inside of the pant. The liner will keep you dry for perhaps an hour in the rain, but eventually water gets through the leg zippers. Still, it is a good compromise. Highly recommended.

- JimY

I've worn the Darien by AeroStich for several years. I'm very happy with the pants, easy on easy off. I wear dress pants underneath, no problem. Sizing? I'd call 'em to be sure. They're expensive, you wouldn't want to make a mistake. Hope this helps.

my office has same dress code policy. aerostich roadcrafter, combat touring boots. keep dress shoes at work. easy schmeezy.

dean

cincinnati

My office has a strict dress code requiring, among other things, dress pants. No jeans. :angry2: So, I ride to work wearing jeans and boots then change when I get there. Then I change back into jeans and boots for the ride home after work.
There has to be a better way!

So, I've been googling around and discovered overpants. Tourmaster makes some as does Aerostitch and others. They are quite pricy but I'm willing to pay if I get what I want. What I want is something that can be worn over my dress pants - comfortably - and gives me good protection should I end up in a skid. I don't have to have all that body armor. I'm looking for good wind protection, durability, reflectivity (3M), all at a reasonable price.

I wear a 34 waist with 36 inseam. Do I purchase that size or one size larger to make room for my dress pants?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

I have a pair of First Gear HT overpants and a pair of MotoBoss Mesh Overpants for summer riding. They both work well over the work uniform (dress slacks) and I have not had any issue with wrinkling of the garments. Both are relatively inexpensive.