Pain in my @ss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
I could not ride on the stock 06 seat. after 1.5 hrs it would hurt....bad. Not just uncomfortable, it hurt my "sit bones" which I'm told is the bottom of your pelvis (?) like a knife on each side. I tried to dish out the original foam to make it more comfortable and then it was good for a couple of hours but the same pain came back. At this point, the original foam would compress enough after time so I was sitting on the pan. The sloped incline of the pan. OUCH! After doing the SS1000 like this and taking 3 asprin every three hours I vowed this winter would come change. With coaching and instruction from "Painman" (Thanks Del) here is what happened.

Original Dished out seat.......BAD SEAT!

100_0465.jpg

I cut out the original foam with an electric knife.........

100_0472.jpg

And added a layer of firm Sunmate Foam, a Layer or Medium Firm foam, and a rim around the edge, gluing them all together. Sumate Foams The top center is a layer of Pudgee, like memory foam.

100_0474.jpg

Once it was all together I just sat on the bike for a while to see if it pushed me to the tank or had any bad habits.

100_0476.jpg

I had to add foam shims in the front under the layers to keep me from sliding forward. At this point my expertise was exausted and after grinding and shaping the foam I took it to an upholsterer friend. He made a mock up cover for a test fit.

100_0492.jpg

It seemed to fit good. My only concern at this point was the seat felt to squishy. Maybe the cover would fix that. I brought it back and told him to cover it with black vinyl and gave him some internet pics of other manfacturers seats.

100_0499.jpg

HEY GINO, THAT'S NOT BLACK! "It just looks that way in this light." Geno, it looks that way in any light! OK, so I got a gray seat. But it's a dead match to the gray on the sides of the engine. The cover firmed the seat up to a frightening level. I think a few hundred miles will fix that though.

100_0500.jpg

The plan is now to ride and see if it feels good and if it does we go to a leather cover, so I'm not too upset over the color.

BUT NOW I GOT ANOTHER PROBLEM!

100_0497.jpg

Pretty slick! Hard to beat the price (although that foam looks awful expensive, I had no idea what that stuff costs :blink: ) and if you need to make changes you don't have to ship it off to anyone. Hopefully the weather clears up soon so you get a chance to try it out.

Excellent job S76. I guess the weather there really gets you motivated. :lol:

You're right about the weather. Nothing else to do with the bike except take it all apart and do mods. The foams costs about $60. The upholstry was free from a friend. That's why I got that color, it's what was in stock from another job. I am getting ready to do the KY Ride in a month and the first day is 750 miles so that should tell the rest of the story. I'm not sure if it will be better.........but I know it can't be worse.

Wow, Bob, how did I miss this thread? Your seat looks fantastic! And yes the seat will feel "very" firm but that is what you want. Support, support that is the secret. And I like the pattern you finished with and what's very cool is if you don't like something about "your" seat, just tear it apart and redo it yourself. I ended up with a mod to the seat I made and plan on making a whole other seat in the future. I would like to eventually have two different seats to use. That seat you made will look sweet in leather and as you know there is no other feel like leather. I have marine grade vinyl simulated bull hide on mine now but will eventually be using leather. Keep up the good work and thanks for the compliment. PM. <>< :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Bob, how did I miss this thread? Your seat looks fantastic!
I'm wondering the same thing. I wish I saw those pics a couple weeks ago when I was working on mine. I cut out some of the old foam and adding some firm foam on the bottom and softer on the top, ended up using the stock seat cover. It seems more comfortable but I really haven't spent much time on it yet. I'm probably gonna spend all day Monday on the bike so, we'll see.

If that seat is half as comfortable as it looks I think you'll be happy, or at least your @ss will. Nice job.

So if this guy is your upholsterer friend, that makes you his "xxxxxxxxxxx" friend?