PCIII saves the day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredder

Reaction score
While I'm sure there are plenty of posts on how well the PCIII works for fixing the throttle problem I just figured I'd relay my two cents. If you don't have one on an 06-08, you need one. Completely changed my riding experience. I so very wish I had this PCIII when on my 2k ride south a few weeks ago. The bike is "normal" now with throttle response being what it should be. This, in turn, allows you to concentrate on things like corner speed, entry, exit and applying power smoothly in a turn instead of trying to avoid the chasis upsetting "WHACK" that so plagued mine before the install. This has probably been the most worth while mod I have done to a bike yet (and I've had 14 of em' ranging a Hayabusa to a Beemer) due to the ridability improvement / cost ratio. A big thanks to all FJRForum members for the info / help! I have no plans on selling the bike now that the throttle works and I can enjoy riding it, unlike before (that whack was like a scab that you wanted to keep picking at!! LOL). :clapping:

I agree wholeheartedly. I also did the throttle spring release, and I now have a rheostat instead of a toggle switch. The PCIII is a better fix than the G2 throttle tube IMHO, although more expensive. I took my G2 off after installing the PCIII. You are right, it changes your focus entirely from "How do I make my right wrist turn without throwing it away in this corner" to looking ahead, corner speed, etc. :yahoo: :yahoo:

You just using the standard map?

I ask because I'm still noticing a slight jerkyness off a closed throttle. I have the PCIII and I have also done the G2 throttle cam mod. While the PCIII made a big difference, and the G2 added more improvement, there's still a hessitation then wham, but only 10% of what it used to be.

I plan to download all the maps in this forum and play around when I get a chance. Just wondered what you have done to be 100% satisfied.

Thanks.

PCIII is the non-ex, and I'm using the M419-001 map for stock exhaust, stock air filter, and stock O2 sensor disconnected. My experience was also much improved by doing the throttle spring release. If you decide to try that, do your due diligence first by reading through the many posts about it on this site. Some folks have had problems after releasing the spring--like the throttle returning to low revs very slowly.

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!! :butcher: I received my PCIII yesterday. I also ordered a K&N air filter, still not here yet and Morgan Carb Tune which I just found out is back ordered for at least another week and a half. I was going to install the PCIII this weekend along with the K&N and do a TB sync while I was in there. I was thinking put it off for another week till the Morgan arrives but after reading this I just cant hold out any longer. Friday night the PCIII is going in. :yahoo: Screw it, I'll do the TBS later

I am also using the 001 map from Powercommander.com (Stock exhaust, O2 sensor disconnected). Simple download. While the bike was apart I also did the simple verson of the air box mod. Before cutting the plastic I spoke with a DynoJet rep on the telephone and he informed me the air box mod would work wonderfully with the 001 map. He was right. Would I call myself 100% happy? no........ just 1,000% happier than I was.

I may try the spring mod solo was speaking of..... just wondering how it will work with the Throttlemeister cruise control I have... little bit o' friction on the connection as it is.

Solo... did removing the G2 improve the bike after having the PCIII installed? I was actually considering making a purchase of the G2 and adding it on along with the PCIII.. LMK what you think???

Rondo777.... you wont be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be sure you have a few small zip ties ready to secure the wires (prob get away without doing it but....)

I agree!!! I put one on mine a few months ago and also wished I had done it sooner. A friend of mine bought a new 07 about a month ago, and we put a PC on his last weekend. He agreed that it made a huge difference.

I'll admit that when I installed my PCIII I broke one of the major rules of turning wrenches--I made more than one change to a single system without testing each change by itself. I installed my PCIII, released the throttle spring, and took off the G2; then I went for a ride.

My thought behind removing the G2 was that I wanted to see what the PCIII was like with the stock throttle tube. So I decided to start there. Add the PCIII back in if necessary. I wanted that big power the stock tube offers, but in a more modulated manner.

I knew the throttle spring was an issue for me because in several cambered right turns I take every day, I'd be half way through and my mind would be telling my right wrist to twist, but it wouldn't. Part of this was because it took more effort than my brain was telling me it should. Had to be that throttle tube.

Between the throttle spring release and the PCIII I don't feel any need for the G2. Others may still want to add the G2 into the mix. I'd suggest waiting on buying the G2 for now. Install the PCIII and see if it takes care of things for you. Consider the throttle spring release, but has I said, read carefully about it first. If you have throttle return issues, it is a bitch to try and rewind the spring--even with the suggested methods mentioned on this site. If you still need more moderation, then add in the G2. It is a very easy install that doesn't require any fiddling under the tank, so you won't be retracing your PCIII installation tracks.

I was comming back since my last post to ask 2 more questions but you guys have since covered 1 of them. That was the G2 thing, I do have one. I've actually found mixxed opinion about keeping it on along with the PCIII. Its on there now so I'll just leave it. I cam always play with removing it later. I do have a second question that I havent seen touched on yet. THE BARBARIAN MOD AND CO2 ADJUSTMENT. What do we do about that? I had performed the mod and right now I'm running on +5 from factory. With the PCIII install, should I leave it alone or reset to factory defaults? :dntknw: Does the PCIII actually replace the entire function of the Factory ECU?

Rondo,

Thanks for asking the questions..Im right about where you are in terms of questions to get answered today on this subject. Although the only thing I have done is add the G2 last Monday. Put 1500 miles on it. The first half of the trip there were was some positive differences , the second half I felt the advantage was gone. Right back to the same ol WHACK... ( Someone on the foum mentioned having to lube the G2 . I might try that). However I want to go to the PC III and see what happens but did not know what to do about the spring release and the Barbarian Mod. I have a K/N filter on .

Look forward to others repsonses.

Thanks to all.

Oddball

mrs

I was comming back since my last post to ask 2 more questions but you guys have since covered 1 of them. That was the G2 thing, I do have one. I've actually found mixxed opinion about keeping it on along with the PCIII. Its on there now so I'll just leave it. I cam always play with removing it later. I do have a second question that I havent seen touched on yet. THE BARBARIAN MOD AND CO2 ADJUSTMENT. What do we do about that? I had performed the mod and right now I'm running on +5 from factory. With the PCIII install, should I leave it alone or reset to factory defaults? :dntknw: Does the PCIII actually replace the entire function of the Factory ECU?

I have a 2006 FJR and after reading all the posts on this site I ordered a PC from the group buy. It has not been delivered yet and I cant wait to install it and see if it fixes the abrupt throttle response problem. I am going to wait to see how well it takes care of the problem before I go to level 2 and get the G2. I want to that everyone on the site for all the great info. -Dan

I got mine with the GB as well. I put it in last week but only have about 30 min of ride time on it. I should have gotten one a long time ago. I noticed the difference in the first 100 feet.

Mine is stock with the exception of HoleShot slipons. Am I correct in assuming that slipons are the same as stock exahust when it comes to the PCIII maps? I see there is a HoleShot map, but I am assuming that is for a bike with the headers as well as the cans.

I've never used one before on any of my previous bikes. Is this just plug and play or do I have to adjust it to fit? Are there "pre-programs" for the 06 FJR? What other things do I need to add/remove to make it work better? Is it MAC compatible?

It is plug and play. Nothing needs to be removed, other than the gas tank to get to the necessary connectors. It just plugs inline. The Power Commander Web site does have a number of maps for the FJR, and several others have been developed by members of this site and can be found by searching the topic. There are also maps on the CD. The CD, which sets up your computer so you can transmit maps, requires a Pentium computer running Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. If you have a Mac, note that the PCIII is model specific, and is shipped with a map for a completely stock bike. You only need to load the software for a different configuration.

It is plug and play. Nothing needs to be removed, other than the gas tank to get to the necessary connectors. It just plugs inline. The Power Commander Web site does have a number of maps for the FJR, and several others have been developed by members of this site and can be found by searching the topic. There are also maps on the CD. The CD, which sets up your computer so you can transmit maps, requires a Pentium computer running Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. If you have a Mac, note that the PCIII is model specific, and is shipped with a map for a completely stock bike. You only need to load the software for a different configuration.
I have a Mac. Can you clarify what you mean? I mean does a Mac work with the PCIII?

thx mate

Scott

I have a Mac. Can you clarify what you mean? I mean does a Mac work with the PCIII?

thx mate

Scott
No, it wont. The software only works on a Windows based system. However, the PCIII comes loaded with the stock map, so you dont NEED to connect it to a computer. You only connect it to a computer to change the map if you want to tweek it.

Update.

I've got a few hundo under the ol' belt with the PCIII. I can say this. If the damned thing came like this from the factory there would never be any discussion about any G2, throttle springs or PCIII anywhere on this site. Bike is great. I love it. More now than initially. I have been able to recreate the WHACK while applying power but that is completely avoidable under 8-9 tenths riding. Once you push beyond that you probably don't have any business on an FJR... although that is what makes it fun sometimes!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: I stick by my initial post as this being the best mod per dollar yet. I'm actually happy enough to leave er' alone. The roll on's are also a hoot now!!! Made a big difference in that arena as well!!!! Buy one and don't be sorry!

Solo.... thanks for the feedback. I am prob gonna leave the spring mod alone for now. If for no other reason, the re-mod to stock seems really out there. Thanks for the imput!!!!!!

FEEJERS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!