PCIII saves the day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh-yeah... I used the 9volt battery option to load the PCIII... very straight forward. Prob no prob for anybody once you install the powercommander disk.

Thanks for the update. I do not want to do the Spring Mod nor other suggested Mods if I can get close to smooth roll ons etc........

Does anyone know the advantage of working with a dealer or shop that uses PC's. I'm a little confused on this one (In fact most things) . On the PC website, they suggest using a shop. Is this for custom mapping and /or not buying the pc but letting the shop custom map the bike using thier PC. Anyone have any experience with collaborating with a shop?

Thanks.

RickyRey said:
Update.
I've got a few hundo under the ol' belt with the PCIII. I can say this. If the damned thing came like this from the factory there would never be any discussion about any G2, throttle springs or PCIII anywhere on this site. Bike is great. I love it. More now than initially. I have been able to recreate the WHACK while applying power but that is completely avoidable under 8-9 tenths riding. Once you push beyond that you probably don't have any business on an FJR... although that is what makes it fun sometimes!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: I stick by my initial post as this being the best mod per dollar yet. I'm actually happy enough to leave er' alone. The roll on's are also a hoot now!!! Made a big difference in that arena as well!!!! Buy one and don't be sorry!

Solo.... thanks for the feedback. I am prob gonna leave the spring mod alone for now. If for no other reason, the re-mod to stock seems really out there. Thanks for the imput!!!!!!

FEEJERS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to get the absolute best performance from the PCIII on your FJR, a qualified mechanic can put you on the dyno and build a custom map for your specific motorcycle. However, some drawbacks to dyno use have been noted in other threads and I believe I've read that it can tear up a rear tire. If you, like most of us, think the FJR already has sufficient power, paying for dyno time to find an extra .5 hp here or there in the rev range is a waste of money. I don't see any need--I've already got enough power to satisfy me.

I agree that the PCIII made a big difference on my 06AE. I also have the G2. But I still get a very jerky response at low speeds (1st gear). Is there a fix for that?

I installed my PCIII tonight. I was able to finally get my laptop to talk to it long enough to load a smoothness map using the 9 volt battery. After I put the unit on the FJR, I have not been able to communicate with it at all. I had the bike running and the laptop connected. Tried for 45 minutes. Plugged and unplugged the USB cable at both ends, restarted the laptop. Still nothing. Anyone else have this problem? How long does it normally take for this unit to show upo as a USB device after it is connected? I never did get to take the bike for a ride, so I can not say if it is better than before, throttle still seems to be very on-off right off of idle. Any one have any tips?

Ohio-the USB cable on the PC3 side needs to "snap" in. Give it an extra push once it seats, and you will hear a click. Otherwise, you will get what you now have...

I agree that the PCIII made a big difference on my 06AE. I also have the G2. But I still get a very jerky response at low speeds (1st gear). Is there a fix for that?
Have you taken the slack out of the throttle cable and which map are you running on the PCIII?

...throttle still seems to be very on-off right off of idle. Any one have any tips?
Same questions that I asked rockhead.

OK WTF, I installed the PCIII and the bike is perfect. I'm running a map that I found that was, well here.... Check this out

About the Map

DownLoad Holeshots_Wally-Combo Map

This map works as advertised on my 06, throttle is fixed and deff an increase in power. I havent burned up a tank of gas yet so I dont know what this is going to do to MPG but if I drop from 50 to 44 or 45 Ill live with it.

THe WTF is just that it just sucks that we had to drop an extra 270.00 bucks to get the Fej to run like she should have from the factory. This was by far the most necessary farkle of them all. LOVE IT! :yahoo:

Have you taken the slack out of the throttle cable and which map are you running on the PCIII?

I'm running the stock 01 map. I tried the calculated smoothness map that somebody posted but the bike did not run well, so I went back to stock. I haven't yet removed the slack - thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a go when I'm reunited with the bike. I had to leave it in Gunnison so I could fly back for a work "emergency" :angry: .

There is another option that does not rely on "maps." I use a Techlusion (Dobek Performance) and it works like a charm. It only adds fuel, but since we run lean to begin with and even leaner with add-ons-it does the trick. The nice thing is you adjust it by "seat of the pants." For ex the first "pot" is adjusted by holding your rpms at 2500 or 3000-you'll notice that at stock the rpms will fluctuate, you can't keep it steady w/out moving the throttle-as you hold the throttle at 2500 or 3000, you simply turn a little screw and the rpms smooth out completely. It's amazing how much a difference it makes. The 2nd "pot" controls the addition of more fuel when you whack the throttle open abruptly-it gives the bike a real kick in the seat of the pants for quick throttle openings. This is set by turning the screw a notch, test the acceleration and then turn it up another and so on untill you see it does not make anymore difference. The third "pot" works by adding a what approximates another "jet" size up for each notch and is used to adjust for more radical add-ons, like full headers with airbox mods, etc. I installed mine when it needed to be spliced into tyhe injection lines, but they make a plug and play now. I like it because it's low tech, but extremely effective and you can't mess anything up.

While I'm sure there are plenty of posts on how well the PCIII works for fixing the throttle problem I just figured I'd relay my two cents. If you don't have one on an 06-08, you need one. Completely changed my riding experience. I so very wish I had this PCIII when on my 2k ride south a few weeks ago. The bike is "normal" now with throttle response being what it should be. This, in turn, allows you to concentrate on things like corner speed, entry, exit and applying power smoothly in a turn instead of trying to avoid the chasis upsetting "WHACK" that so plagued mine before the install. This has probably been the most worth while mod I have done to a bike yet (and I've had 14 of em' ranging a Hayabusa to a Beemer) due to the ridability improvement / cost ratio. A big thanks to all FJRForum members for the info / help! I have no plans on selling the bike now that the throttle works and I can enjoy riding it, unlike before (that whack was like a scab that you wanted to keep picking at!! LOL). :clapping:

For all,

Has anyone custom mapped their bike using a cert dyno dealer? Seems reasonable to tune your bike to its idosyncrasies...or are existing maps that much cheaper and close enough it doesnt matter?

RR

OK... So maybe I need one of these things.

Questions:

- I understand it's plug and play if you get the right one right? No cutting or splicing of any wires?

- Where does this thing live? I'm running out of room under the seat.

Edit: Snagged that one off eBay so I'll guess I'll find out soon enough ;)

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions:

- I understand it's plug and play if you get the right one right? No cutting or splicing of any wires?

-MD
In the tray behind your tool kit, it's worth the effort. ;)

Ricky. custom maps on the forum are free, vs dyno time will cost you about 450 dollars. The difference will be negligible unless you have modded the air box or put headers etc....on it. You can also check www.fjr1300info.com for custom maps. Wally smoothness map seems to be very popular.

Renegade, you need it.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Renegade,

You may want to pick up a few strips of double sided velcro, not sure if your unit is new or not. When mounting mine I used the velcro and it seemed (still seems) to be working like a charm and it adds in the added vibration damper of the non-solid mounting. The little bugger is def worth any effort you need to put into it.

Questions:

Edit: Snagged that one off eBay so I'll guess I'll find out soon enough ;)

-MD

I believe the one I just purchased is new, unopened so it should have said velcro with it.

I have reviewed the install instructions from the Power Commander Website but still have the following questions...

1) I understand you disconnect the O2 sensor fore best results. does this man the Barbarian mod changes will be mute at this point? Should I put them back to stock or leave as is because it just doesn't matter?

2) What about the G2? Leave it on or take it off?

Don't know about the Barbarian Mod... did not do it to mine and I like the results. May want to check with some others for info.

I don't have a G2, but if you have it on, I'd leave it for now and see how you like it. I have heard that some like the bike w/out the G2 when using the PCIII for throttle response. Either way, from the threads I've read, it seems to be a relatively easy swap. Try it both ways and see what you like.

I believe the one I just purchased is new, unopened so it should have said velcro with it.
I have reviewed the install instructions from the Power Commander Website but still have the following questions...

1) I understand you disconnect the O2 sensor fore best results. does this man the Barbarian mod changes will be mute at this point? Should I put them back to stock or leave as is because it just doesn't matter?

2) What about the G2? Leave it on or take it off?