PCIII with new ECU

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano

Reaction score
I bought a (slightly) used PCIII for my '06A that has the stock map installed on it. About the same time, Yamaha announced their ECU recall. I had the ECU replaced first (no real noticeable difference) and then installed the PCIII. My bike is stock except for some Remus Hexacone slip ons. When I fired the bike up, I noticed it did not respond well to off idle throttle inputs, but seemed to rev fine.

When I rode it, the bike would stall at red lights and had difficulty responding to small throttle inputs, it had to be rev'ed up more before releasing the clutch. Once going, it did feel stronger, although the power delivery did not feel smooth throughout the rev range. When I hooked up my laptop, the % throttle indicator showed 0% at idle as it should, but it still does not run right. I don't think the stock map would be causing this. Any thoughts on how to adjust it or make changes needed to get the low speed throttle response back and smooth out the power delivery ?

Thanks,

Dano

I'm running the revised ECU on my 07 with a PC-III. I actually went back to the stock PC-III map from my modified map that I was running prior to the ECU change. The bike has never run better and is actually better than my 05 was.

I suggest calibrating the throttle position numbers on the PC-III and make sure you have the stock map loaded.

Dano,

Sounds like the map your using is too rich. I had heard that the ecu update wasn't as lean as it had been. How has your fuel economy changed?

WW

I bought a (slightly) used PCIII for my '06A that has the stock map installed on it. About the same time, Yamaha announced their ECU recall. I had the ECU replaced first (no real noticeable difference) and then installed the PCIII. My bike is stock except for some Remus Hexacone slip ons. When I fired the bike up, I noticed it did not respond well to off idle throttle inputs, but seemed to rev fine.
When I rode it, the bike would stall at red lights and had difficulty responding to small throttle inputs, it had to be rev'ed up more before releasing the clutch. Once going, it did feel stronger, although the power delivery did not feel smooth throughout the rev range. When I hooked up my laptop, the % throttle indicator showed 0% at idle as it should, but it still does not run right. I don't think the stock map would be causing this. Any thoughts on how to adjust it or make changes needed to get the low speed throttle response back and smooth out the power delivery ?

Thanks,

Dano
Be sure that the bike is not running when you check the throttle position sensor. The PCIII has to be powered by a 9v battery in order to do this. Begin with throttle closed and then slowly open it to 100% watching for erratic indications.

Thanks,

Dano
Be sure that the bike is not running when you check the throttle position sensor. The PCIII has to be powered by a 9v battery in order to do this. Begin with throttle closed and then slowly open it to 100% watching for erratic indications.
So you do this entire operation with the bike not running ? What do you mean by erratic indications ?

Thanks,

Dano
So you do this entire operation with the bike not running ? What do you mean by erratic indications ?
Sounds like you need to reset the throttle open and closed positions and also your idle level. If you live anywhere close to Boston, I'd be more than happy to help you with it. There is also an accelerator pump feature that is seperate from the mapping software that you might want to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
pcIII help

#10 tells you how to reset.

Other's do it without the bike on, which is proposed to be a little more accurrate.

Radman - "The left arrow sets closed throttle only-to lock in the entire range of travel, click reset-then twist throttle from closed to WFO then closed again. Click OK. Now, click the "reset" on the left, make sure the 2 idle numbers (center and left) match up, then click ok again. One trick is to have the 9 volt plugged into the PC, turn the bikes kill switch to "off", then you can key on and set the throttle without the bike running, or the fuel pump pressurizing the rail. This way the bike doesn't have to be running to set throttle position as Dynojet suggests. You can watch the full range of input on the computer screen for any blips, just like checking the TPS via the diagnosis onboard screen."

pcIII help
-#10 tells you how to reset.

Other's do it without the bike on, which is proposed to be a little more accurrate.

Radman - "The left arrow sets closed throttle only-to lock in the entire range of travel, click reset-then twist throttle from closed to WFO then closed again. Click OK. Now, click the "reset" on the left, make sure the 2 idle numbers (center and left) match up, then click ok again. One trick is to have the 9 volt plugged into the PC, turn the bikes kill switch to "off", then you can key on and set the throttle without the bike running, or the fuel pump pressurizing the rail. This way the bike doesn't have to be running to set throttle position as Dynojet suggests. You can watch the full range of input on the computer screen for any blips, just like checking the TPS via the diagnosis onboard screen."
This "Radman" seems like quite the clever fellow..... :p The throttle position can indeed be set with or without the bike running, but it's obviously a lot quieter and less disconcerting to use the suggested method shown above-which does indeed require the 9v setup to be employed. While it is important for synching the PC to throttle input, and can indicate problems with the TPS having dead spots, it is NOT a substitute for using the bikes data screen to set up the TPS itself-the TPS should show 15-17 at closed throttle, 97-99 when WFO. Only once the TPS is properly adjusted should one expect the PC synch to work properly.

Thanks,

Dano
Bike not running. 9v battery on the PCIII. If you roll the throttle smoothly, the window in the PCIII program should start at 0% and follow the throttle without the readings jumping up and down erratically.

My '07 with new ECU, PCIII and stock MAP runs great -- a little richer than original ECU and 38mpg instead of 40. You did disconnect the O2 sensor, yes?