Peer Pressure & Ride to Work Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had just finished checking out Mike n Rob's progress on their SPOT page and was thinking about how much I'd love to take a ride through the PNW. They had just left FJRay's place (intact I hope) and were entering Washington. Then I read your RR Riona (awesome BTW), now for sure I need to come up to your neck of the woods and see the spendor for myself.

Love the pics and prose. Your RR was a pleasure to read. Thank You for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride report Riona and thanks for sharing. Hopefully some of my outhouse photos at Chinook Pass and the pics of Tipsoo Lake contributed to your ah hem..... shall we say goal.
smile.png

Your ride reports are definitely part of my inspiration ... keep 'em coming ! I would say "can I tag along" but you do at least twice as many miles in a day as my butt can cope with ...

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px]If you have a stock seat then I suggest a Russell or Mayer saddle.[/SIZE]

So it looks like I will have to add Riona to my list of RR stalwarts. My short list now includes FontanaMan, GeorgiaRoller, Tyler and Riona (honorable mention to PuppyChow). Other than Georgia I sense a huge PNW presence here. Probably as it should be, I don't know that I have seen more beautiful country.

Nice ride report Riona and thanks for sharing. Hopefully some of my outhouse photos at Chinook Pass and the pics of Tipsoo Lake contributed to your ah hem..... shall we say goal.
smile.png

Your ride reports are definitely part of my inspiration ... keep 'em coming ! I would say "can I tag along" but you do at least twice as many miles in a day as my butt can cope with ...

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px]If you have a stock seat then I suggest a Russell or Mayer saddle.[/SIZE]

I have a Sargent - getting better as I'm getting it broken in. I also have Gerauld highway pegs, but they are yet to be installed as I haven't had time to figure out how to loosen the right hand lower tupperware to get at the bolts. And a cee bailey screen. But even with all those farkles , I still am glad to get off the bike after 300 miles or so.

Very nice RR
thumbsup.gif
, I recently rode the Oregon roads (FS53 and 206) since they are almost in my back yard, and as good as those roads are with the smooth pavement, sweeping corners, and elevation changes; they are gateways to even better roads in Central Oregon. Anyone planning a trip to Oregon should include FS51, FS52, 7, 19, 207, 218, and 245. You can't do everything in a day, probably not in 2 days, but it will be a memorable trip that you will want to do again.

Work? What's that?
(nice pics)

Seeing as this thread is turning out to be literate, I offer two answers - a quote and a poem

The Quote:

Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Oscar Wilde

The Poem (which I had to learn by heart at school ...)

Why should I let the toad work Squat on my life?Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork And drive the brute off?Six days of the week it soils With its sickening poison -Just for paying a few bills! That's out of proportion.Lots of folk live on their wits: Lecturers, lispers,Losels, loblolly-men, louts- They don't end as paupers;Lots of folk live up lanes With fires in a bucket,Eat windfalls and tinned sardines- they seem to like it.Their nippers have got bare feet, Their unspeakable wivesAre skinny as whippets - and yet No one actually starves.Ah, were I courageous enough To shout Stuff your pension!But I know, all too well, that's the stuff That dreams are made on:For something sufficiently toad-like Squats in me, too;Its hunkers are heavy as hard luck, And cold as snow,And will never allow me to blarney My way of gettingThe fame and the girl and the money All at one sitting.I don't say, one bodies the other One's spiritual truth;But I do say it's hard to lose either, When you have both.
Toads, by Philip Larkin

Very nice RR
thumbsup.gif
, I recently rode the Oregon roads (FS53 and 206) since they are almost in my back yard, and as good as those roads are with the smooth pavement, sweeping corners, and elevation changes; they are gateways to even better roads in Central Oregon. Anyone planning a trip to Oregon should include FS51, FS52, 7, 19, 207, 218, and 245. You can't do everything in a day, probably not in 2 days, but it will be a memorable trip that you will want to do again.

The short dip into Oregon certainly whetted my appetite for more.

Your list of roads inspires me to propose a game of "State Route Bingo" --- everyone gets a Bingo card drawn at random, and gets to cover a square when they ride the road with the corresponding number.

First to complete a line on their card wins.

Very nice RR
thumbsup.gif

The short dip into Oregon certainly whetted my appetite for more.

Your list of roads inspires me to propose a game of "State Route Bingo" --- everyone gets a Bingo card drawn at random, and gets to cover a square when they ride the road with the corresponding number.

First to complete a line on their card wins.
Sounds like fun, you can add FS39, FS72, 3, 74, 82, 86, 203, 204, 244, 380, and 395 to the list....and these roads are all east of 97 and north of Burns, Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
MCRIDER007 - sounds like you have a BINGO there ... or possibly the winning lottery ticket.

where are the roads 86, 75 and 309 ?

And because work never ends - the rejoinder....

Toads Revisited

Walking around in the park
Should feel better than work:
The lake, the sunshine,
The grass to lie on,

Blurred playground noises
Beyond black-stockinged nurses -
Not a bad place to be.
Yet it doesn't suit me.

Being one of the men
You meet of an afternoon:
Palsied old step-takers,
Hare-eyed clerks with the jitters,

Waxed-fleshed out-patients
Still vague from accidents,
And characters in long coats
Deep in the litter-baskets -

All dodging the toad work
By being stupid or weak.
Think of being them!
Hearing the hours chime,

Watching the bread delivered,
The sun by clouds covered,
The children going home;
Think of being them,

Turning over their failures
By some bed of lobelias,
Nowhere to go but indoors,
Nor friends but empty chairs -

No, give me my in-tray,
My loaf-haired secretary,
My shall-I-keep-the-call-in-Sir:
What else can I answer,

When the lights come on at four
At the end of another year?
Give me your arm, old toad;
Help me down Cemetery Road.

Philip Larkin

And because work never ends - the rejoinder....
Toads Revisited

Walking around in the park

Should feel better than work:

The lake, the sunshine,

The grass to lie on,

Blurred playground noises

Beyond black-stockinged nurses -

Not a bad place to be.

Yet it doesn't suit me.

Being one of the men

You meet of an afternoon:

Palsied old step-takers,

Hare-eyed clerks with the jitters,

Waxed-fleshed out-patients

Still vague from accidents,

And characters in long coats

Deep in the litter-baskets -

All dodging the toad work

By being stupid or weak.

Think of being them!

Hearing the hours chime,

Watching the bread delivered,

The sun by clouds covered,

The children going home;

Think of being them,

Turning over their failures

By some bed of lobelias,

Nowhere to go but indoors,

Nor friends but empty chairs -

No, give me my in-tray,

My loaf-haired secretary,

My shall-I-keep-the-call-in-Sir:

What else can I answer,

When the lights come on at four

At the end of another year?

Give me your arm, old toad;

Help me down Cemetery Road.

Philip Larkin

I love his poetry. The imagery, the use of language, the juxtaposition of the banal with the absurd, the odd rhymes (failures with lobelias) .. This is my first time reading this one - My thanks, Mr. Foley.

By way of thanks, I offer you in trade the poem by Ted Hughes that I was trying to remember in its entirety as I battled the cross-winds on Monday and Tuesday. At the time I could only remember the line about the birds:

The wind flung a magpie away and a black-

Back gull bent like an iron bar slowly.

So I'm grateful for the excuse to have looked it up and refreshed my memory

WindThis house has been far out at sea all night,

The woods crashing through darkness, the booming hills,

Winds stampeding the fields under the window

Floundering black astride and blinding wet

Till day rose; then under an orange sky

The hills had new places, and wind wielded

Blade-light, luminous black and emerald,

Flexing like the lens of a mad eye.

At noon I scaled along the house-side as far as

The coal-house door. Once I looked up -

Through the brunt wind that dented the balls of my eyes

The tent of the hills drummed and strained its guyrope,

The fields quivering, the skyline a grimace,

At any second to bang and vanish with a flap;

The wind flung a magpie away and a black-

Back gull bent like an iron bar slowly. The house

Rang like some fine green goblet in the note

That any second would shatter it. Now deep

In chairs, in front of the great fire, we grip

Our hearts and cannot entertain book, thought,

Or each other. We watch the fire blazing,

And feel the roots of the house move, but sit on,

Seeing the window tremble to come in,

Hearing the stones cry out under the horizons.

I'll have you know I write excellent ride reports! I just never get to go anywhere! WHaaaa!

As for state road bingo....I'll skip the Texas version. That'd be a huge card. My first clue to the size of Texas was when I moved here was as I crossed the border and saw that all the local roads were FOUR DIGITS!!!

Uh, Jasen? You are supposed to answer with a poem that doesn't rhyme.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I agree they have the advantage of living in a stunningly beautiful area. Yes, several of our PNW friends have a superior command of the English language and a remarkable talent for quality prose. Just wait until December and January when we are still riding our ugly straight roads. We'll see who gets jealous then!

MCRIDER007 - sounds like you have a BINGO there ... or possibly the winning lottery ticket.
You have a couple of typos....86 connects Baker City, Richland, Halfway, and Oxbow.........74 connects Nye Junction, Heppner, and Heppner Jct. on I-84....... 380 connects Prineville, Paulina, Izee, and 395 (south of John Day).

Meh, I'm a computer guy, all that literary stuff is what I suffered through in school so I could get to the good stuff. What poems used to occupy HDD space in my brain have long been overwritten.
biggrin.png

You have a couple of typos....86 connects Baker City, Richland, Halfway, and Oxbow.........74 connects Nye Junction, Heppner, and Heppner Jct. on I-84....... 380 connects Prineville, Paulina, Izee, and 395 (south of John Day).
I did 380 last week. It's in much better shape than the last time. Only passed three cars in the first hundred miles.:):):)

I did 380 last week. It's in much better shape than the last time. Only passed three cars in the first hundred miles.:):):)
They finally re-paved the east end of 380 last year and it was very smooth when I rode it last fall. Anyone who feels a need for speed should ride 380 and get it out of their system. Its about 140 miles between gas stations that sell premium but regular gas is available in Paulina.