Penguin's DH update.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
Amazing progress has been made thanks to dedicated attention to his therapy. On 5-23, Andy broke his right leg in two places, shattered both elbows and left wrist, and compressed his thoracic spine. Two days ago, he got geared up and took to the road for the first time.

Getting into the gear was the first challenge. He lacks the range of motion that he used to have. Neoprene bandages cover his elbows to prevent the hardware chafing against the pads in the riding jacket. A full face helmet was about the heaviest thing he has been able to lift so far.

The Warrior has been off the road for longer than Andy has, so it was reluctant to run. But..... it wasn't long before I was up to 70mph to catch up with the puff of blue smoke in front of me. He said that right turns are OK but lefts are odd. He has to compensate with his right arm for the lack of strength in the left.

Thus, we've been bike shopping. For a brief moment, the new Kawasaki was a contender but now he's leaning strongly towards another BMW K12S versus the Hayabusa.

I can't tell you how good it felt to see him riding again. Fingers crossed for Streetmasters in November. That should give him time to build some endurance, and get the bike.

Jill

PS We had to travel to England last week. Couldn't BELIEVE that all the hardware holding his joints together didn't set off any alarms. We left London Heathrow, bound for LAX just hours before the chaos set in.

Glad to hear the great progress in rehab! I have alot oh respect for DH getting back on as soon (or too soon?) as he was able. Thanks for the update. Prayers are still with you both.

wow girl - he's riding already! excellent news!!! this will be behind you guys in no time ~ best wishes!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I concur with Rogue. Well said, sir!

He has to compensate with his right arm for the lack of strength in the left.
Thus, we've been bike shopping. For a brief moment, the new Kawasaki was a contender but now he's leaning strongly towards another BMW K12S versus the Hayabusa.

Jill
Compensating is something he will get used to for awhile. It feels very odd to have one arm doing most of the work...but oh, the feeling of wind in your face, the sights and smells, the experience of being on a motorcycle....well, let's just say one must be a motorcyclist to understand the depth of feeling. Congratulations on your first ride, Andy! :yahoo:

The 'Bus is a nice ride but I still vote for the bumblebee version of the K12S. In his heart of hearts Andy wants one. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ANDY!!!! ANDY!!!! ANDY!!!! ANDY!!!!! ANDY!!!!

:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

(And let's not forget Jill !!!! Way to go, girl !! )

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
2247302-plus1.gif

Remarkable....what an ordeal but what a wonderful reward to get back on the road again. Good Luck in your bike search.

Ron