Petition to stop cell phone use in automobiles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK:

When I see some idiot flying down the road with a cell phone clutched to his ear, that's SO important he doesn't bother to signal lane changes or turns I hope he runs up a telephone pole!

But an integrated, voice-activated system is COMPLETELY different. When you can run the phone from steering wheel buttons, speak a number or person you want to call, and see it on the dashboard, run from wheel buttons, I'm sorry, I don't see it as any different than the radio or talking to a passenger.

I'm all in favor of strict enforcement of hands-free phones. Leave the handsets to the passengers. Hell, almost EVERY single cell phone on the market today has voice activation. There is NO need to be looking at your handset while you drive, whether you have a hand-held with an earpiece or an integrated phone.

Notice that I see JUST as many men talking illegally on cell phones and driving like lunatics as I see women. I drive up and down I287 here in Joisey everyday and see it all the time.

So, when I see someone sitting in his/her car talking to themself, I figure they are the responsible ones using a speaker phone built in.

So, when I see someone sitting in his/her car talking to themself, I figure they are the responsible ones using a speaker phone built in.
Or... they're crazy... so you have to stay away from them too. :D
I wish LEO's would write more citations for bad driving instead of speeders.

I thought of a good public service announcement. Have a video from the motorcyclists perspective... show several dumb ass moves by cages... end it with a left turner that ends in death. Let them watch from the victims perspective the ambulance, hospital, death and funeral experience.

Or... they're crazy... so you have to stay away from them too. :D
I wish LEO's would write more citations for bad driving instead of speeders.

I thought of a good public service announcement. Have a video from the motorcyclists perspective... show several dumb ass moves by cages... end it with a left turner that ends in death. Let them watch from the victims perspective the ambulance, hospital, death and funeral experience.
:angry: There's probably a California law that forbids it... or they have proven that a comercial like that "could" cause cancer.

Yanktar, the research I mentioned earlier claimed phone conversations as different than talking to a passenger because the passenger picks up non-verbal cues about the driver's need for attention to the road. The conversation is more easily and naturally suspended versus phone behavior.

Yanktar, the research I mentioned earlier claimed phone conversations as different than talking to a passenger because the passenger picks up non-verbal cues about the driver's need for attention to the road. The conversation is more easily and naturally suspended versus phone behavior.
Obviously, you've never driven with a kid or kids in the car. They are NOTORIOUS for not picking up on cues, just go right on blabbering.

When I need to focus I say "I gotta concentrate. Talk to you later." and hang up.

Okay, I'll agree child seats should come with child-sized gags then. Oh yeah, and parents should use bungie-cord leashes on 'em in public. :)

Okay! Well we are at least voicing our heartfelt feelings about the matter. That's a good thing and I think more good will come out of this if nothing more than exposing greater numbers of drivers to the idea of being more attentive behind the wheel.

Here are a few pointers from a major insurance provider.

Thanks for taking a minute to read them and feel free to pass them on.

Roger B

"The main factor in most motor vehicle collisions is driver inattentiveness."

According to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA), there are 100 million wireless subscribers today, which is more than 36 percent of the United States population. While convenient, using cell phones while driving can be hazardous. The American Automobile Association offers these tips: Make sure your phone is mounted where you can easily reach it while driving. The phone should be within comfortable reach in your usual driving position and as close as possible to your line of vision.

*Know all the operations of your cellular phone, and learn to use it without looking.

*Keep your attention on the road by programming frequently called numbers into the phone's memory to minimize dialing.

*Dial sensibly. Wait for a stop light, pull off the road to dial, or ask a passenger to dial for you.

*Don't use your cellular phone in distracting traffic situations. Pull off the road to make a call.

*Be careful about where you stop to make calls.

*When calling 911 to report an emergency, be prepared to provide the closest major cross streets or off-ramps, and know your cellular phone number.

*Use your voice mail to take calls or leave yourself messages. Never take notes while driving.

*Disconnect your cellular phone when using jumper cables; the power surge could burn out your phone.

(State Farm Insurance)

Last edited by a moderator: