Picked Up a 2013 Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have any trouble adjusting the shifter once yo installed the peg lowering kit?

Not at all, Kevin, but that's because I didn't touch the shifter.
winksmiley02.gif
I did, however, adjust the brake lever down a couple of notches. Now I think it's too low and will go back up a notch.

Installed some grip buddies tonight...

i-2FpQMTD-X2.jpg

i-hPx2z78-X2.jpg

I think the right side GB should be farther left, but this will work. I'll check em out tomorrow on the way to work.

Hope those GBs work better than mine. Mine were shredded in about 10k miles, or less than four months of riding.

Good to see you on an FJR JJ. Love that '13 model. And don't listen to Warchild, the Darkside beckons with 30k+ rear tires AND decent handling........

Congrats on the new FJR. I'm afraid your lowly ST1300s may die a slow death from abandonment.

Thanks, G. Feels good to be on an FJR again. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get comfortable on the bike. Just need a new seat, the MV riser plate installed and a good chunk of validation miles.

I may go dark, but I'm holding out until it's a must. For instance, riding the 15 IBR or next year's 10n10. Outside of those events, the need just isn't there. But I dig the lean angle you have going on. Impressive... for a CT. ;)

Congrats on the new FJR. I'm afraid your lowly ST1300s may die a slow death from abandonment.
I strongly object to you using the word slow in the same sentence with ST1300. Even if it is appropriate.
angry01.gif

I am honestly somewhat surprised to see so few ST1300s in the IBR. In my ignorance I assumed that since the FJR was more sport oriented the ST would be better for the IBR. Numbers don't lie though.

BTW Jason, just wanted to jump in here and besides saying congrats on the '13 (love mine too!), wanted to say thanks for all the work you've done on Spotwalla.

Very cool. I stopped by the local dealership today for a peek and to ask a couple questions. Sales guy was totally put out when I asked to see the inside of the glovebox. He didn't know if there was an outlet in there, so I didn't bother to ask what the amperage might be.

I'm renting one next month for a two week test ride.
smile.png
It's gonna be cold, but I don't know if I can plug in.
cold.gif

I envy you on those new features.
punk.gif

Very cool. I stopped by the local dealership today for a peek and to ask a couple questions. Sales guy was totally put out when I asked to see the inside of the glovebox. He didn't know if there was an outlet in there, so I didn't bother to ask what the amperage might be.
3 Amps...not enough for my air pump. Blew the fuse a few weeks ago. The fuses are next to the battery under the plastic. It's an hour job to get to. Not happy about that.

Not enough current to run heated gear either.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 Amps...not enough for my air pump. Blew the fuse a few weeks ago. The fuses are next to the battery under the plastic. It's an hour job to get to. Not happy about that.
son-of-a... The other day before heading out I checked the pressures. Figured I'd make use of the 12v plug in the glove box and that it most certainly doesn't have a fuse as deficient as the one on the ST13. Plugged in the air pump, turned it on and pop. Now I learn the fuses are next to the battery? Oh well, the plastic is coming off for other reasons once it gets cold around here. I'll rectify that issue then.

Got a mind fucker here (good one). Have the new 013 and a 09 with GPS-Penske. Actually have 2 Penskes. Have intended to put the GPS-Penske on the 013 but have come to appreciate the softer 013 setup. The 013 OEM does a nice job of sucking up rough road. If I were going to turn the 013 into a Wingding wannabe there wouldn't be a question. My point - the 013 suspension isn't half bad - kind nice for a change. I like the chassis balance on the 013. Doesn't want to pull in either direction. Of the 4 FJs I've had this may the most neutral. The 2 Gen2's I've had wanted to go for every Winnebago coming down the road. Put a throttlemeister on this morning. Took the slop out of the throttle tube. Put the R1 tx linkage on. Made a beautiful transmission even better.

Now with 1k on my 013 - I'm getting instantaneous cold starts. It "tickles the weasel" when that happens.

Had some time to start the MV riser plate install tonight. Started by protecting the tank by laying a towel over it...

i-RKrpVpR-X2.jpg

Here are the parts in the kit from MV... The bag on the right is empty. All parts are present and accounted for.

i-RJ3zZgR-X2.jpg

When fitting the plate it sure looks a little hinky at first, but everything falls into place quickly...

i-cJmZ6JH-X2.jpg

Almost finished... Just need to get the angles correct, button everything down, ensure the lines have enough slack at the full lock positions and put the covers back on. But I'll do that tomorrow.

i-3jVf2v8-X2.jpg

Over all and despite some rather lame install instructions, a relatively simple install with the help of the information found here on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about getting in on the day-long group buy, but I decided to go a different route.. I just spoke to Seth Laam from Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats (https://laamseats.com/). He said his production date is just a couple of weeks out and he has a two-day turn-around. With all of the good things I've heard about his seats, I've decided to ask him to work his magic on the FJR.

And he has some magic to work. My ass is a lot of things. Primarily, ginormous and demanding. :) After ~11 years of day-longs on all my bikes except one, this is a big step. But I'm sure he'll do a fine job. Full report to follow.

This seat will complete the ergonomic trifecta and provide me enough LD comfort that I'll be compelled to sell the ST13.

I stopped at my local dealer last week to pick up an oil filter and sitting there in front of their shop was a '09 FJR1300AE with a Laam seat on it for sale. Before going in I sat on it to see how it felt. Bad move! I didn't even want to ride home on my stock seat! I approached the sales manager about trading my stock seat plus some cash and take it along right then. The seat not the whole bike. They declined. Bike is for sale on consignment. I asked them to call seller and see if he would deal. No help. The very next day I called Laam custom seats and spoke to Seth. Super nice guy. I placed my order on Friday and spoke to him again today about my seat. He keeps some seat pans in stock to help minimize your down time. Right now he's waiting on the return of a set of Gen 2 seats and he expects to start building mine as soon as they show up. I can't wait to get my new seat. Good pricing too. Even though I don't actually have mine yet, I feel comfortable telling you that you'll be happy.

I've been thinking about getting in on the day-long group buy, but I decided to go a different route.. I just spoke to Seth Laam from Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats (https://laamseats.com/). He said his production date is just a couple of weeks out and he has a two-day turn-around. With all of the good things I've heard about his seats, I've decided to ask him to work his magic on the FJR.
You'll like the seat Jason. Did a ride in with Seth in May and couldn't be happier with my FJR seat. Great being able to watch the whole process and getting a custom fit to boot! I'll be going back to Seth for a seat on my (new) STen as soon as I can schedule another ride in...great excuse for a road trip!

--G

I can't wait to get my new seat. Good pricing too. Even though I don't actually have mine yet, I feel comfortable telling you that you'll be happy.
I hope it turns out like that cuz... damn... my ass needs a good seat.

You'll like the seat Jason. Did a ride in with Seth in May and couldn't be happier with my FJR seat. Great being able to watch the whole process and getting a custom fit to boot! I'll be going back to Seth for a seat on my (new) STen as soon as I can schedule another ride in...great excuse for a road trip!
Sure would like to do a ride-in, but I don't think my ass would survive the ride over from Tennessee. I could probably make it to Kansas City. After that, not sure. :)