Picked Up a 2013 Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SoCal...
I'll give up a modicum of lean angle to gain comfort. If the FJR remains in the stable, it will be my LD mount so comfort is the primary concern.

Rear tires are an issue on every bike I own with the exception of the GL1800. I want a rear MC tire that can go at least 13K miles for me. No problem on the wing. Not so on the other bikes in the garage although I'm not yet finished with a set of Heidenau's on the Super Tenere yet. I get close with a set of PR3's on the ST13.

I don't want to go dark, but I'm not afraid of it. ;)
Ah I see....some riders on this site get almost that tire mileage on their FJR's, I don't know how they do it but I've seen posts that say 10,000 miles or so on the rear.

I never get more than about 4,500 miles out of ANY sport/touring tire on any bike I've owned myself.
Socal, I get between 14-17k miles on my tires (Roadsmarts), but that is because I mainly commute on my bike. I rarely get a chance for "fun" rides. I do use the bike every day because it is the only way to deal with the bay area traffic and keep my sanity, so rain or shine she is moving. I am currently on a set of Perelli Angle GT's that handle better and are on pace to get similar milage.

Talked to Seth Laam at https://laamseats.com/ earlier in the week about how I wanted the new seat built. A couple of days later he called again to give me the details about the seat, shipping... He thinks he nailed it for me. We'll see. Seat will be here next Wednesday - sucks being this far from Redding, CA.

I went all out and got leather - front and rear. He charged me $383. With $29 it spent to ship the seat that's $412. If the seat turns out to be as good as I hope, that will be money well spent. More info, pictures and impressions after I get my butt on that thing next week.

Ahhhh.... The smell of new leather. Just got the new Laam seat today. If it feels as good as it looks, this seat will take me places in mucho comfort.

i-RCp62qD-X2.jpg

i-BrmSwTd-X2.jpg

I think I need to ride to lunch today and put a few miles on the new seat. Impressions later.

First impressions...

• Leather is cool.
  • I dig the minimal stitching on the top cover.
  • The seat is wide enough for my wide mass.
  • The seat provides adequate support across the butt.
  • Nice and supple feel to the tushy, but I feel a bit of the cross supports (?) where the buttox meets the legs.
I'm going to address the last one with Seth to determine if this is something that needs adjusting or if it will lessen with time in the saddle. Over all, I'm impressed with the seat and look forward to putting some real miles on the FJR.

Pick one of these up from Deltran and you will have a quick accessory power point fused for 7.5A @ 12V. Probably available in local auto parts places with trailer wiring accessories also. I run mine between the tank and the upper frame rail and it tucks in place neatly between the plastics and frame on the right side. Convenient and discrete.

https://batterytender.com/products/accessories/ring-terminal-harness.html

Ahhhh.... The smell of new leather. Just got the new Laam seat today. If it feels as good as it looks, this seat will take me places in mucho comfort.

i-BrmSwTd-X2.jpg
Great looking seat...kinda wish I'd went with leather after seeing yours Jason!

When I had my seat built, Seth said to give it 1,000 miles or so to break in and conform to my shape. It has about 6K on it now and it's very comfy.

--G

I'm hoping the same thing. Haven't heard back from Seth yet (emailed him last night). I'm heading to Texas next week so I'll be able to break it in properly. Going to ride an SS1K back home as part of the IBA Memorial rides.

Pick one of these up from Deltran and you will have a quick accessory power point fused for 7.5A @ 12V. Probably available in local auto parts places with trailer wiring accessories also. I run mine between the tank and the upper frame rail and it tucks in place neatly between the plastics and frame on the right side. Convenient and discrete.
https://batterytender.com/products/accessories/ring-terminal-harness.html
Just a FYI for people, that part comes with a BATTERY TENDER when you buy one, I have it on my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally received the Yammy Touring Trunk last week - just in time for a trip back to Texas. After installing it, though, I wasn't impressed with the entire setup. I know... I should have listened to a good number of you who advised against the Yammy touring trunk, but I didn't listen. Wound up taking the Tenere to Texas since it has proper gear.

Some of things I don't particularly care for...

• The case itself is heavy. Why?
  • It has almost cooler-like construction. Why?
  • The mounting plate doesn't replace the rear rack, but attaches on top of the rack. Seems hinky.
  • The case itself sits high on the rear of the bike.
  • Not enough room for my laptop to lay flat inside.
  • Not a fan of the plastic tongue that attaches to the mounting plate. Seems cheesy.
My loss will be someone else's gain. If you're looking for a touring trunk and mounting plate for a 2013, look for it in the For Sale forum shortly.

My guess is that a Givi frame and topcase are in your near future...
You might think that, but since the FJR will be my LD bike, I'm going to get a fuel cell from Mike Langford that looks like the original Tanji FJR fuel cell. It provides a rear shelf that should be suitable for attaching a top case of one sort or another. Need to talk to Mike.

You might think that, but since the FJR will be my LD bike, I'm going to get a fuel cell from Mike Langford that looks like the original Tanji FJR fuel cell. It provides a rear shelf that should be suitable for attaching a top case of one sort or another. Need to talk to Mike.
Jason,

I used a Givi case for several years on my STs, but switched to a Pelican Case when I added the fuel cell. It's rectangular for more usable packing space, light weight and water tight. I have the 1550 on my FJR now and the fuel cell is in . . . waiting on my arrival in Knoxville to install, then the Pelican will go on top of the fuel cell.

FWIW,

Shuey

Jason,I used a Givi case for several years on my STs, but switched to a Pelican Case when I added the fuel cell. It's rectangular for more usable packing space, light weight and water tight. I have the 1550 on my FJR now and the fuel cell is in . . . waiting on my arrival in Knoxville to install, then the Pelican will go on top of the fuel cell.

FWIW,

Shuey
Shuey, Got any pic's of the fuel cell in the 1550????? Gravity fed? fuel filler position?? Inquireing minds want to know..
:poster_oops:

Jason,I used a Givi case for several years on my STs, but switched to a Pelican Case when I added the fuel cell. It's rectangular for more usable packing space, light weight and water tight. I have the 1550 on my FJR now and the fuel cell is in . . . waiting on my arrival in Knoxville to install, then the Pelican will go on top of the fuel cell.

FWIW,

Shuey
Yep. I'm ordering a tank from Mike Langford (a Tanji-style cell) that will have a Pelican case mounted to the top flatbed area. Here's his site with some pics...

https://maplefarkles.com/index.php/products/yamaha/yamaha

This setup will work a helluva lot better than the Yammy trunk. Is this the cell you're going with?