Picking up at D&H May 10 - couple questions...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cycle Gear has a small bag called "Endurance" that I use on my ride - works great for storage of water, cell phone, radar detector, etc. and map on top.

Good luck,

JW :)

Yeah, and all us phaqing txans only have to remember your state is run by his lil bro. Been lurking a long time, and now this is my 1st post, congrats dude, way to bring it out in me......just remember, I'd rather be from texico than fluba

Interesting first post.

Welcome to the forum!

i live in fla... i can confirm what waldmana posted... i've seen the verification process for: out of state, pvt party, and a few other transfers, in person... they even have a spot set aside in the parking lot so the dmv person don't have to walk far to verify...

fla takes vin and odemeter fraud seriously, based on several bad apples in the past years/decades...

of course, you're welcome to discredit me, so that you might remain correct in your 'knowledge'.

dana

edit for clarity: the registration and odo/vin check is done by the county tax collectors office, not the dmv...

I called the DMV in Florida and they told me that they have to do an inspection that verifies the VIN prior to giving me a plate. For that reason I have not tried to prepay and have the original paperwork mailed to me to get a plate.
This just makes no sense at all. The DMV has never, not once, been involved in the tag/registration process of a retail vehicle sale I've been involved with since my first ever purchase.....

Can anyone here in the forum who lives or has ever lived in Florida confirm what the DMV told Waldmana, that the VIN would have to be inspected and verified?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,
That should be fun, carrying a helmet getting on a plane. You can always say I saw this guy stunt flying before.

Before 911, I would always look into the cockpit to see who is flying the plane, and comment if we have to go down please hit some TX soil. God Bless TX.

Todd
You will find me flying pretty frequently with my helmet. I like to have it when I rent bikes when away from home on trips. Some of my passengers are perhaps a little dismayed when they see their pilot getting onboard with a helmet....oh well.

Picked up mine at D&H May 4th, you are in for a treat. No tag. Had mine totally paid for in advance by 2 weeks. My Tag Agent in Oklahoma said I must have taken delivery of the bike before they would issue a tag and title. But I did get insurance and verification card.

I got a great magnetic tankbag at Cycle Gear for $40. It is expandable and has a clear top for maps. It worked great for the trip.

I picked up my wifes 05 in May of last year from D&H. Jerrol and Rena were great to deal with. I got the same story about temp tags. Rode it all the way home with no temp. and no questions were asked. Went through Canadian customs, three provinces, US customs and nine states. Great trip home, am ready to do it again.

I called the DMV in Florida and they told me that they have to do an inspection that verifies the VIN prior to giving me a plate. For that reason I have not tried to prepay and have the original paperwork mailed to me to get a plate.
This just makes no sense at all. The DMV has never, not once, been involved in the tag/registration process of a retail vehicle sale I've been involved with since my first ever purchase, a powder blue VeeDUb from Lee Ragatz Volkswagen back in 1967. The dealer ALWAYS handles the tag and registration in Florida for new vehicle sales.

Back in September last year, when I purchased my '04 FJR from a private party, since there was no dealer involved, I had the owner send me a "receipt" listing make, model, year, VIN and price. I pre-insured the bike with that info with my State Farm agent and received a receipt to verify insurance coverage.

Then off to the DMV with proof-of-insurance, the "receipt" I received from the seller and a check for the regstration fee. Bought the tag on the spot. There was NO "inspection that verifies the VIN". Then, with tag and registration in hand, a friend drive me the 60 miles to pick up by bike, gave the owner his money, put my new tag on the bike and drove home.

Can anyone here in the forum who lives or has ever lived in Florida confirm what the DMV told Waldmana, that the VIN would have to be inspected and verified?

They told me that they VIN inspection has to be done, period! Also, this bike is being bought out of state, that may have something to do with it.