Picking up my FJR tomorrow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01VFR

Reaction score
I made the plunge and am picking up a new 2008 A model tomorrow morning. I need to thank everyone here that contributes as I have done a ton of reading on mods and fixes. Your hands on knowledge and sharing is why I am so excited to get my bike and spend 4 months deciding on farkles before I can even ride 1 mile as we have snow on the ground.

Is there anything I need to worry about getting from the dealer other than the items listed in the FAQ's (3rd lock, tool kit) as I am picking it up from a dealer 300+ miles from home and most likely will not be going back (I got a Jason price).

I will probably need to change my log on in the future.

Corey

Soon to be 08 FJR

01 VFR

Edit: Got home yesterday. Everything went smoothly. Here's a couple of pics.

gallery_10344_4312_1234.jpg

gallery_10344_4312_29059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new ride! From now on transportation on 2 wheels will have a whole new meaning for you. Riding the Feejer gets more fun over time not less...that's the cool part about this motorcycle...as close to perfect as you can imagine.

Yes, this forum has contributed in a major way and made me decide to choose the Yamaha over the Sauerkraut ride

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Congrats!!!

Now don't spend so much $$$ on the farkles that you can't afford to ride come spring.

Is there anything I need to worry about getting from the dealer other than the items listed in the FAQ's (3rd lock, tool kit) as I am picking it up from a dealer 300+ miles from home and most likely will not be going back (I got a Jason price).
I will probably need to change my log on in the future.

Corey

Soon to be 08 FJR

01 VFR
Hey 01 VFR/08 FJR and welcome to the "real" world of FJRdom!!

You've already enjoyed this forum and it's endless wit and wisdom and now you'll know 1st hand why we feel the way we feel.....if we feel.....well, you'll understand.

One thing you should seriously consider even before the bike leaves the dealer is frame sliders. They will come in handy.

Best and ride safe,

VP

Wow , you did'er :clapping: , good for you , hope you get to ride that puppy before you get drastic PMS ! :)

This is written in the forums, but bears repeating: do pay attention to the lock screws on the saddlebags, just in case you missed or ignored that item! I lost a lock within a week of buying my used bike because the previous owner hadn't threadlocked, and because I hadn't paid the proper attention to it. Thankfully, the whole side case itself didn't come off. I was lucky.

I've randomly met a number of other FJR owners on the street. None of them had any idea about the lock issue and all were thankful I'd mentioned it so adamantly. One even had a lock that appeared to be loosening.

I wouldn't trust the dealer to have done this for you... double check!

Congrats on the new bike! I'm just slightly envious, though I still think that blue is the best color for this bike. Until they introduce a more interesting color, I'm sticking with mine!

One thing that is very important to remember is that the FJR is VERY stable at speed. This means if you don't look at the speedo you may find yourself cruising for a ticket instead of cruising home.

One other thing; check your tire pressures before leaving the dealership. Every bike I've ever bought has been low when I picked it up.

And the last thing; Have a blast!

Bob

Farkles make terrific Christmas presents, whethre you celebrate it or not. I think my Dual-Star grip heaters and my Joe Rocket jacket came from Santa.

Enjoy. Its a terrific machine!

Is there anything I need to worry about getting from the dealer other than the items listed in the FAQ's ?
Corey

Soon to be 08 FJR

01 VFR
Don't forget the severe screwing that many Dealers (but not all) offer. :rolleyes:

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go over the bike with a fine tooth comb at the stealership. Don't leave before you are satisfied all is well. Take a good test ride nearby before riding it home to check it out again on the road. Give yourself lots of time for all this, like all day available so you can have them fix something before you leave.

I mention this because I was with SouthernCruizer when he picked up his new Black Beauty '08 from the dealer and he sold me his '04 like a trade at the same time. He was disappointed in the lack of detail in the shop setup of the bike. Like I know the stem nut was loose and clunking front end on his way home on the interstate.

He just got the bike in September and you might ask him directly for his experience and advice in this area.

When I buy a car, before driving it out of the dealership or whatever, I check the tire pressures, turn or press every switch to see that it works properly, open and close the doors & trunk, check body alignments with a little flashlight, look for any dent, scratch or body imperfection in the bright sunlight in the middle of the day. I recommend spending easily over an hour on the vehicle till I'm satisfied everything is properly ready for delivery to me. If something isn't right, I still have the power to refuse delivery till it's fixed to my satisfaction.

Assume nothing until it's proved.

Just my 1.5 cents

[SIZE=14pt]Hey![/SIZE]

I didn't figure you'd be sleeping. Congratulations on the new motorcycle.

Get the shiny aluminum sliders. They look cooler and don't hurt your shin any more than the plastic ones.

And welcome to the forum Corey.

Welcome to the clan Corey, it is nice to see another FJR rider in the neighbor hood . You are going to love the bike , I know I love my 07. Haven't had problem one . If you see an 07 in CR this spring, it will probably be me.

Mac

I should have added on my last post, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IT IS SUPPOSE TO SNOW TONIGHT, it will be a nasty drive tomorrow. Be careful .

mac

Corey ~ Big CONGRATS on getting the new bike! Exciting times for sure...

As you mentioned, spare lock and tool kit + the soft luggage for the side cases!

Hope you enjoy every mile on your new bike!

Oh, and +1 on adding the frame sliders at your earliest convenience. Only take a couple of minutes and can save some severe aggravation in low speed oopsies, especially in your first days of ownership.

Don

Cory congratulations on your new purchase. Be careful of the side stand as it sometimes does not extend to the farthest forward position. It can hold the bike here but will give you a surprise as you climb on the next time. This happened 2 hours after buying my 2008. Not a nice surprise! Enjoy looking at the new wheels until the snow leaves.

Gary

Congrats on your new FJR. I just celebrated my first year with my 07 which I got 12-4 last year. I did not find this forum until last summer so I did not have the benefit of all the info from the beginning. In a way it was a good thing because by the time I started reading about all the farkles I should add I had learned I did not need some of them. This time next year I am sure you will feel the same way I do, a fully satisfied FJR rider.

OK, Corey, I assume that you now have your bike in the garage. That will make the winter pass easier, every once in awhile you can go out and look at it and dream of all the trips you are going to take come spring.

Congrats.

Mac