Pic's Of The New FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone with money and determination might be able to make any FJR fairing fit any model. Perhaps it would require the entire subframe assembly to get-r-done though. The question is if it would be worth the cost and effort compared to just buying an 06.

;) Nice pics! It looks like I'll have to fire up the old CAD software soon to design up a larger luggage rack for that bad boy too! B) How else are you gonna lash down a tent and collapsible chair to that back end?

thanks for the pics. i really love the improvments . except the auto shift not my cup of tea .......... might go look at them today in the city ....

Warchild - What's your gut feeling about '06 parts being used on older models. Do you think anything will transfer over (bars, seat, etc)?
Sadly, based upon how Yamaha has done their upgrades in the past, I would venture to guess that virtually NONE of these improvements will bolt-on to previous FJRs. Of course, we won't know that for a fact until they arrive.

All the air venting enhancements are fine, but I'm not personally interested in them since I have no real heat issues on my deer-strike FJR (though of course, like all FJRs, it can be toasty when ambient temps are above 85-ish degrees F).

The only components I will be seriously looking at retro-fitting are the new curved radiator (tho I think there is almost zero chance it will bolt on, but I'll investigate anyway), and the other item I *may* look at retro-fitting are the '06 fork legs. My suspicion is that Yamaha seriously re-worked the internals of these Soqi forks on the '06 model, so I would gain that advantage, and also step up to 320mm brakes. The downside is that I would need new rotors, and unless the mounting flanges work out, I'd need new calipers, too. If I am forced to use these new Nissin calipers, then I'll need to de-link them as well.

WC, that's great about the forks, but why go through the exercise when better springs and valves may be all that's needed on the existing units?

My question to anyone who saw the bike is: Is the stock seat any better, and does the new, variable mounting components prevent existing after-market seats from being used?

-BD

WC, that's great about the forks, but why go through the exercise when better springs and valves may be all that's needed on the existing units?
I've already done the fork upgrade (HyperPro springs), and I'm not terribly unhappy with them, but the real driver would be getting those 320mm brakes.

Even though my '03 is VASTLY improved braking over stock with the SS lines and Galfer rotors, it is still obvious to me that, just based upon the 46,000 miles I did on my first ('04) FJR, the 298mm braking system on pre-'04 models just doesn't cut the mustard in some of the more assertive riding conditions (i.e., fairly loaded up with gear during an Endurance Riding event, etc)

This is my first post on your forum. Looking at a FJR to replace my ST1300. Went to Alices and also took some pictures. Found this sight looking for information for a friend who has a JFR. Saw Warchild was here and knew this was the right place.

fjr.jpg

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/bikeama/fjr1.jpg

fjr2.jpg

fjr3.jpg

Yours truly:

fjra.jpg

Some answers to your questions, in no particular order....

Cans looked the same but with the redesiged sub frame / pass foot peg redesign, I'm not sure if the can mounting bolts have been relocated, but the size seemed the same to me, never noticed the difference.

Not sure either on retrofit of the handlebars, the mounting detils are covered up.

The seats will not retrofit between years. We took a close look at that area in detail. The new passenger seat is the piece that unlocks when you insert the key, not the front section. After you remove the rear , there is a " trigger " release under the front seat that need depressed in order to unlatch the front section. The gas tank has two small receivers ( think like a towing receiver hitch in a bumper ). The plastic sub frame that the seat sits on top of, has a high and low postition. A tab on the front of the seat slides into the receiver on the tank, depending on the height chosen, and locks in on the rear to a new catch system

According to the rep the body panels will not interchange, so who's going to be first to weld new mounting tabs on the frame??

Sorry TurboDave, I did not talk to the rep about the new trans. I knew it wasn't for my style of riding / home location. I know MM2 did so he'll post up when he gets home late today.

The " plug " at the old hazard swith location may not be there when the bike is put into production. This was a preproduction demo model. I was hoping they'd at least disconnect the starter and leave the other power available so we could play with the shield / glove box etc. , but the bike was completly depowered. The glove box was locked up so no pics of the new power port in there.

Whether there's enough changes to trade up as some asked, that's a personal choice, but after seeing the improvements " standing still " it looks pretty damn good!! The fairing redesign seems to have opened up a lot of area for increased air flow, I think this may help rider heat as well as letting the motor cool / flow better. It will be interesting to see how the heat reports / bike running temperature are perceived with the new bike, all of the current heat mods seem to seal or redirect air, Yamaha has gone the other way and opened it all up more.

Also I forgot to mention that in the pic of the dash, you can see two round black knobs that are for headlight adjustment, and notice the nose fairing has two notches in it. I assume that is for when the shield is all the way up, it should be closer to the rider now ?

bikeama, you should have spoken up. The forum members were all around you, in fact you kept getting in the damn way when I was shooting pics! :D

Welcome aboard.

Saw Warchild was here and knew this was the right place.
Amen, brother! Welcome aboard and thanks for the pix. You look like a good fit on the FJR. Also mucho thanks to HIGHLANDER. These 'real people' pix beat the heck out of publicity photos.
But, why is this man crying? Or is he icing an eye wound from the wife-unit (like me) after mentioning he might like to upgrade to the 2006?

fjr2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone note that there is a separate key for the bags? On that detail alone, I would NEVER buy an '06! What were they thinking? I mean all that time and effort on the air management, seat, E-Shift, etc. and they screwed the pooch on the keys?! Oiy vey...

:p :D ;)

And, did any of you guys think to ask how the E-Shift rode?

So a majority of the farkles for previous years are out the window. Going to have to be a redesign on windshields, Bar risers, Fork braces, Sliders, Seats, Foot shields, Etc. Evolution is a great thing in some respects. In others it really sucks. I still want one even if I have to wait for the aftermarket stuff to catch up. Wish I could get the silver without the auto clutch crap.

It's my understanding that only one key will be used for the ignition/bags. They may not have had this particular bike set up that way..but the ones that will be for sale will .

Knifemaker

Since everything is different, I don't think anything can be switched over. The dash is different, and if the electronics don't "plug and play" the questions are moot.

The forks are changed, the calipers are different, probably to allow for the "linked" brake system.

The front fender is differens, the rear p[egs and mounting are changed, so I think the mufflers must be different also. The tail pices is changed, it "coke bottles" out, and the silver side covers are different. The whole bodywork package is more angular. It looks like the bags may be different. The outside covers appear the same, but the inner portion looks different. I suppose you'd have to try and swap them to be sure.....

I didn't ask the rep about the "tick". I was questioning him about the electric clutch operation when they announced the video presentation and all the factory guys went across the street for that.

BTW, on the electric clutch model, there is a foot shift. It isn't mechanical, but is linked to the electronic shift mechanism so you could shift with your foot or on the handlebar.

Re: Keys

I'd bet that they have a mismatched set so that nobody can turn on the ignition and try to ride it away. The key that was there did open the seat. It took Highlander and I about 2 minutes to figure out how to remove the seats. The '06 key unlocks the pillion seat, then there is a releast levr that allows the driver's seat to be lifted. Try as we might, we couldn't come up with the combination to set the seat in the different positions---all of this done while the reps were across the street.

The windshield "W" bracket is different, and there is a vent in the nosepiece, ahead of the gauges. It looks like they want air moving all around this beast. It appears that the front vents bring air under the dash and direct it to the front of the "raised" tank.

It looks like I'll have to fire up the old CAD software soon to design up a larger luggage rack for that bad boy too! 
i'll place the first order!!!!

dana

Looks like Yamaha has updated their website with the full details about the '06:

Redesigned instrument panel reflects the FJR1300’s premium quality, and now includes real-time fuel mileage, average fuel mileage, air temp gauge and gear-position indicator.
Did any of the other Yamaha bikes have the COBALT BLUE color? I'm curious how it compares to the Galaxy Blue (darker perhaps?).

I'm also curious about the airflow under the windshield to reduce backpressure. That should be a pretty decent improvement.

It's too bad they didn't raise the windscreen so we could see how much taller it actually gets.

Great pictures. Very thorough, catching everything of interest.

Looks like Yamaha did a very good job of updating our beloved FJR. If only it had not gained 60# in the process. Otherwise very desirable, even with the price increase.

thanks for the coverage.

Leonard

When asked about the electronic shifting, the rep said that it was a simple pattern of neutral on the bottom, moving up through the 5 gears. No need to go into neutal, as in first gear, the bike remains motionless until the throttle is utilized. Downshifting (or upshifting) is sequential. Sounded pretty slick, but that first ride, would (will-?) be very interesting.

Overall, came away very impressed.

Had a buddy (Harley rider) with me and found his observations of the show at Alice's interesting. He noted that "all of the questions involved technical issues and various features of the bike's performance" and that if it'd been a Harley show, that instead of the factory rep standing there (answering questions), that there would have been a large breasted women in a Harley t-shirt standing by the bike. Yamaha "Performance" versus "the HD experience", a pretty clear definition of the consumer's choices.